Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 07-29-2005, 02:44 PM   #161
o_vorm

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Don't make things too complicated. You'll get people stopping and watching the lights change and, while that's a testiment to your mapping skills, you've got to remember the gameplay factor.

Remember that the simplest maps are quite often the most popular (2fort?)!

V.
o_vorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2005, 03:17 PM   #162
o_ohcanep

Even if the lights do change, I doubt that someone is gonna stare at the lights in the middle of the fight. It's just a small graphical detail which doesn't affect gameplay (as long as it doesn't get too eye catching)
o_ohcanep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2005, 03:31 PM   #163
o_vorm

I think you underestimate the "oooh - look, pretty lights!" %ge of the population.

Go in a pub or bar. They're the ones huddled around the gaming machines.

V.
o_vorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2005, 03:39 PM   #164
o_ginger lord

I've set it up like this;

There is a trigger multiple in the underpass, one sides light starts on red, the other green. When triggered it goes through the sequence, Red -> red & Amber -> Green -> Amber -> Red. There is then a delay of around 10 seconds before it can be triggered again.

You'll only really see it if your defending the area, as when you run under the bridge, I'm guessing you're going for the enemy APC rather than running through it to play with the lights. Its not that distracting, but its a nice touch that has zero effect on gameplay. That is unless you have a fetish for lights.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #165
o_catzeyes93

You could always make the light "broken" where it offers a blinking red light, but then there is an electricity short buzzing. That could be cool.
o_catzeyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #166
o_azlan

It's really nice to see you update your thread this much, as the progress you've made since you began is fantastic!
o_azlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2005, 09:06 PM   #167
o_fisheye

this is probably the best remake i've seen so far, but adding things like traffic lights/signs will destroy the 'less is more' feel that the best tf maps have. imho, the map would have a more stylish look without them.
o_fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2005, 09:50 PM   #168
o_imbrifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye
adding things like traffic lights/signs will destroy the 'less is more' feel that the best tf maps have. imho, the map would have a more stylish look without them.
I agree.
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2005, 10:11 PM   #169
o_spiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye
adding things like traffic lights/signs will destroy the 'less is more' feel that the best tf maps have. imho, the map would have a more stylish look without them.
I agree.
me too
o_spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2005, 10:24 PM   #170
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Eh, I think it's funny. Keep it
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2005, 11:06 PM   #171
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
detail = good

i could release my map here and now nearly if i didnt want detail, but its these small things that make it look nice
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2005, 11:38 PM   #172
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I don't mind detail so long as the layout is at least 95% the same.

I offer you a 5% artistic license. Go.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:27 AM   #173
o_azlan

I prefer realistic maps that are geared towards TF gameplay. I say add the lights!
o_azlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2005, 09:46 AM   #174
o_ginger lord

I could have released the map weeks ago if I wanted it to be a brush for brush copy of the original. But thats not the aim here.

Its the original revamped, if people wanted the original with its blocky style, I may as well not have bothered :P

Everyone will recognise it as Epicenter, its the exact same layout, there are no new paths or old ones removed. Everything that is being changed is graphical, displacements on the gravel areas (not huge, but a slight 1-2 unit bump to give it a non flat feel), detail sprites for grass, models for cover where there was once big crate blocks. Telegraph wires, fire and smoke and of course, traffic lights.

If people get distracted by little things like that, then they shouldn't be playing the game to start with. Its not going to destory the feel, there is no "feel" in the original IMO, its bland and uninspiring, you know its a destroyed city...but you don't feel it is. I hopefully bring some of the feeling back, making it feel more city like, rather than texture blocks on a floor.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:54 AM   #175
o_drtom

sign posts look silly, and traffic lights ?! its hardly a road is it ?! otherwise superb
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2005, 05:32 PM   #176
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lord
I could have released the map weeks ago if I wanted it to be a brush for brush copy of the original. But thats not the aim here.

Its the original revamped, if people wanted the original with its blocky style, I may as well not have bothered :P

Everyone will recognise it as Epicenter, its the exact same layout, there are no new paths or old ones removed. Everything that is being changed is graphical, displacements on the gravel areas (not huge, but a slight 1-2 unit bump to give it a non flat feel), detail sprites for grass, models for cover where there was once big crate blocks. Telegraph wires, fire and smoke and of course, traffic lights.

If people get distracted by little things like that, then they shouldn't be playing the game to start with. Its not going to destory the feel, there is no "feel" in the original IMO, its bland and uninspiring, you know its a destroyed city...but you don't feel it is. I hopefully bring some of the feeling back, making it feel more city like, rather than texture blocks on a floor.
The layout's the same. So that's fine.

You can add all the pretty shit you want, so long as the layout is the same. You get 5% to mess with the layout if necessary. That's what I meant.

So far... I'd say the tiny tiny road displacements and the broken vehicles will account for 0.8%.

Old 07-30-2005, 10:41 PM   #177
o_ginger lord

Just to show people the layout:

Heres the remake:

I would show you what the original looks like, but my steam is being a bit "gay" at the moment and refuses to open any Steam based application without using 100% CPU and 100% RAM. Thats no mean feat with a AMD64 3500+ and 1Gb RAM.

Edit: The morning after the night before, Steam has quit being "gay" and is now working fine:

Its pretty much dead on, the spawns are slightly smaller and some of it is more "compact" than the original, I don't think it will change the playstyle.

Old 07-30-2005, 10:44 PM   #178
o_bokko

This is looking really good! However, those traffic lights and signs have to go, they just seem out of place IMO :/
o_bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2005, 02:12 PM   #179
o_ginger lord

Ok, I yielded to public demand, no signs or traffic lights in the middle area :P

Started to mess around with ambient sounds and 3D sky, sky looks blocky because im having to make it out of blocks as I can't model, well I could probably do them if I put my mind to it.

Old 07-31-2005, 02:41 PM   #180
o_the phenom

Holy .
Looks great, very DoDish.
o_the phenom is offline   Reply With Quote