Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 04-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #101
o_ambex

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
What to use bspzip for every beta you make?
o_ambex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #102
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Unless you want missing textures, yeah.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #103
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Damned good looking map Caesium. I'm no mapper but I really like the feel of it; the screen shots really don't do it justice. I don't run on a top of the line rig, but I only dropped to about 30fps when looking across the yard. Can't wait to roast someone in the glass pillars. Put the new version out ASAP!

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #104
o_darknight

Agreed. Had my first look around yesterday (just had to re-download HL2, ouch!) and I was really impressed. Hopefully in FF it'll play as good as it looks.
o_darknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #105
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Someone should run a HL2DM server with these maps 24/7 for all us FF freaks!

You are a pirate!

Old 04-08-2006, 05:21 AM   #106
o_nezumi

Wasn't someone on these boards talking about that? Like racer or someone.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #107
o_sh4x

yeah make a server with every maps even unfinished ones...
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #108
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Yah, I'd play the hell out of it. Put it on a team DM server, would be fun.

You are a pirate!

Old 04-10-2006, 01:18 AM   #109
o_tennovan

I like the idea of having a HL2DM server (pword protected) with all community maps. Besides, it'll give all of us something to do while we wait for FF. Who's got access to a server?
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 01:21 AM   #110
o_luminous

the FF team should as burstfire nicely!
o_luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 10:55 AM   #111
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminous
the FF team should as burstfire nicely!
Nah, sadly it's not the job of the FF dev team to arrange HL2DM hosting for unfinished unofficial 3rd party maps Seems to me that we'd need to sort this out amongst ourselves. So, does anyone has the ability to host an HL2DM server, or know someone else who does? It doesn't need to be a good server, anything is better than nothing.

Obviously we'd want sv_airaccelerate up, and cheats enabled so ppl can noclip to pretend to conc etc This would be really useful tbh for finding bugs and getting an idea for how areas will feel and play in FF. Would probably be useful to have a votemap system running as well as a map rotation, so ppl can load up the map they want.
o_caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #112
o_nezumi

They could appoint someone to be the offical arranger of HL2DM hosting for custom maps. I mean, they might as well. It's not like they have to pay them.

Seriously though I might be able to set up something like this. I'm pretty sure superjer isn't running any sort of game server at all right now so I can probably subvert his server to our purposes. The thing is I'm really really lazy so if it ever goes down or something it'll be weeks before I get off my ass and fix it. Or get it set up. I don't even know if I can. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything...

Well, in any case...

Old 04-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #113
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium
Nah, sadly it's not the job of the FF dev team to arrange HL2DM hosting for unfinished unofficial 3rd party maps Seems to me that we'd need to sort this out amongst ourselves. So, does anyone has the ability to host an HL2DM server, or know someone else who does? It doesn't need to be a good server, anything is better than nothing.

Obviously we'd want sv_airaccelerate up, and cheats enabled so ppl can noclip to pretend to conc etc This would be really useful tbh for finding bugs and getting an idea for how areas will feel and play in FF. Would probably be useful to have a votemap system running as well as a map rotation, so ppl can load up the map they want.
maybe cags.nl can get some hl2dm servers running, gonna talk with the chief when he's online.
o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2006, 10:39 PM   #114
o_arsenalfc

what happened to beta2?
o_arsenalfc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #115
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium
...as I'm going away for a week right now.
Here is the reason as to why beta2 has not been released yet.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 12:02 PM   #116
o_ambex

We need to talk here Caesium about your map.

I like it but there is some stuff that is different.

First off, how to say the underground area leading from the water route to a catacomb place is strange. When you walk around there it feels like you're down the 2forts basement
and the flagroom. I found some strange gordon freeman button in a corner of the room, if you press it then you teleport to a tube(?) or a glass-room where you can't do anything. What is the point of this?

Now about the outside area, it is very big me likes it, the inside base is not that complex and bad, I like the idea and the layout.

But to say honestly there is only one spawnroom and I am dissapointed over one thing. In the edge of the base there is some battlements area where you can see the outside area through a glass-window. Why is it bullet-proof? If so why can't you destroy it? It would be more fun if that were possible in a a way. So well, overall the map is well done and needs some better textures on the floor and the walls, and maybye some other lighting or something that similar.

Keep on movin'!
o_ambex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #117
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambex
First off, how to say the underground area leading from the water route to a catacomb place is strange. When you walk around there it feels like you're down the 2forts basement and the flagroom.
Errr...that's the idea... Read this thread if you want to know why. I don't like explaining things twice.

Quote:
I found some strange gordon freeman button in a corner of the room, if you press it then you teleport to a tube(?) or a glass-room where you can't do anything. What is the point of this?
Again, read this thread, but basically, it's for prematch entertainment Have you ever played clan TFC btw?

Quote:
But to say honestly there is only one spawnroom and I am dissapointed over one thing. In the edge of the base there is some battlements area where you can see the outside area through a glass-window. Why is it bullet-proof? If so why can't you destroy it? It would be more fun if that were possible in a a way.
Firstly, there is intentionally only one spawn in order to reduce the random luck introduced by spawning at the "wrong" point during a clan match. Secondly, are you really trying to say that you think the front window should be destoyable?!!!! If you actually think that's a good idea then LOL... It would basically just leave 2 undefendable flags at either end of a large area. I suggest you think a little bit.

Quote:
So well, overall the map is well done and needs some better textures on the floor and the walls, and maybye some other lighting or something that similar.
This was the only bit of your post that made me think you had something useful to say, but you need to say what you think needs changing, exactly how, and why, please. Beta2 already has a lot of work done on the texturing (though the look is much along the same lines as beta1, just much more polished). The lighting, however, is something I am pretty happy with atm, but if you have any specific suggestions please explain them in detail and explain why. I look forward to hearing any useful suggestions if you do have any...
o_caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 02:22 PM   #118
o_luminous

caes u on irc anywhere atm?
o_luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #119
o_lazy eye

Uh would i just play this on HL2 DM???
o_lazy eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #120
o_nezumi

Ok, something that keeps slipping my mind.

The balcony to the outside from the spawnroom is a little exposed. There's nothing stopping anyone from jumping up there and spamming the crap out of the spawn. This might not be such a problem in a clan match but it would probably get kinda old in a pub game.

Were you planning on putting some sort of rock2 style trigger_hurt across the door or anything? (and maybe a non-solid brush with the effects/com_shield003a texture on it? If you perhaps do decide to use this texture I've got a red version of it you can use...)

Unless you were planning it as a sneaky way into the base. If you can get to the interior door without being seen you might be able to slip through when someone opens it.