Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
o_sensai

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
A Publicity Rant With Results!

Now, some may think that this needs to be in the 'Bitch about updates' thread, but I think this is too important to be read in a thread that has no worth.

I'm seriously concerned about the publicity of this MOD. All the devs keep on hinting at a release not being too far off, but yet the media for this MOD doesn't match this suggested progress. Where are the concept drawings? Where are the screen shots of maps? Where are the screen shots of skinned player models? Are we ever going to see any of this? It seems like the answer is no, since the only type of media that they dev team wants to release is "polished" stuff. I think I can speak for many when I say that I am interested in the design for this mod almost as much as actually being able to play it.

I want to ask the dev team, what is the point of showing only "polished" things if you're so far in the development process? What about showing off the development process itself more? If you're so close to a release, why not show some not-so-perfectly polished things, and then explain in a post or whatever what changes has been made since then?

If you took a poll, I seriously doubt most people would only care about seeing in-game shots or an avi. It seems that this method only caters to one type of player that takes a look at this mod. As for the rest of us, it just seems that interest are waivering a little bit because the media for thos mod is so stagnant. I'm tired of reading posts about ideas that probably won't be implemented in the release of the game because you're way too far in the process to even begin code/alter stuff. I want more conversation on things that are actually in the game (concept art, player models, etc.).

In the end, I think the dev team focuses their media release too much on catching the attention of a potential base and keeps on forgetting to keep the attention of their actual base.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
o_arsenalfc

i agree, it seems that at the moment a lot of bugs are being fixed. this surely means an advanced stage of competion for the mod, and thus a lot of media that we haven't seen yet including concept art. the dev team remind us how much work goes into a media release, but really it doesn't need to be a huge event...a couple of screenshots and a few concept sketches would suffice. it need not be broadcast to every hl2 related site too like with bigger media releases.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
o_tennovan

http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...ead.php?t=2109

I guess that just means you've been worried about this for quite some time.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
o_mescalito

pwnd.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
o_ekse

we need video footage !!!

Old 04-28-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
o_sensai

Well, I was worried back then too, Tennovan, but then with some of the talks on this bored, my worry was lessened. This has changed recently, with the onset of a release in the somewhat near future. I'm just trying to figure out why all media from this point forward seems to carry the stigma of "its got to be perfectly polished and must be an in-game screen shot" or something of that sort. Like I said, I'm just as much concerned about the development of the things for this mod as I am about the mod itself (because its the development of this mod that got me interested and keeps with interested - given the fact the mod isn't released).

Old 04-28-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
mirvin_monkey
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensai
and must be an in-game screen shot
most people complain about the rendered stuff now, and the mod has been in development for too long now really to still be putting those out

also the concept artist guy seems to have died

edit: and i'd be quite happy to release various ingame screenshots on the board (where you'd have thought there'd be less need to make everything perfect compared to a frontpage update) but i dont know what the other guys would say

Old 04-28-2006, 07:55 PM   #8
o_df`

I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal for them to release some pics from inside Visual Studio or 3dsmax to get you hot and heavy.

Closed Thread