Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
KD18

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
New PC Build

Hey guys,

Since I'll be entering the engineering field shortly (and may occasionally have to do drafting/other computer intensive work at home), I feel as if it'd be a good idea to build a new PC, especially since my current one is showing its age (4 years old). So, since I've been out of the loop of computer hardware lately, I've been doing a lot of research and would also like some of your opinions on my current configuration. If possible, could you guys take a look at this setup, comment on its cost/performance ratio, and suggest any alternatives? For the most part, I'll be using it for the engineering work mentioned above (autodesk inventor, autocad, ansys finite element analyses, etc), occasionally recording/mixing some music, and occasional gaming.

Here's the configuration from Newegg:

Also, I've never installed an aftermarket heat sink. For my last build, which was my first, I just used the stock one with the thermal paste already applied; so, I really don't know much about heatsinks or how to install them. Since stock Intel heat sinks are supposedly horrible, I really want to pick up and install an aftermarket one for this build. However, I am not sure of what to get or how to even do it. Could you guys also make any suggestions and possibly share any great tutorials that you've used in the past?

Thanks a lot

EDIT: Also, I forgot to ask something about triple channel memory. From reading, I learned that triple channel memory is much more effective with an i7 processor (which is why I chose it), and I made sure to choose a motherboard that supports it. However, I'm not 100% sure about the installation process. If you use triple channel memory, do you have to install it in specific slots to enable that pipeline. Of course, I could always read the motherboard manual, but I'd like to know prior to buying the hardware =p. Once again, thanks a lot for the advice.

Last edited by KD18; 07-02-2010 at 06:06 PM.
KD18 is offline   Reply With Quote