Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 04-26-2006, 05:15 PM   #141
o_sh4x

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
depends on settings. and 29 is the lowest I found.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2006, 06:42 PM   #142
o_caesium

Thanks for the mirror, Shax

Regarding the FPS, you should find that the FPS is reasonable in any places where it will need to be (ie defensive positions etc). Yes, if you stand right by the window looking out (so you can see lots of the water) then you will get pretty low FPS, but as soon as you move back away from the window a little (to where players will be in game) you don't see as much water and the FPS should be fine. I have a standard geforce 6600, and I get very acceptable FPS everywhere it needs to be high, when on 1280x1024 and everything set to full (no AA though).

As someone pointed out, there are a few places where the FPS was actually a little higher in Beta1 than Beta2, but as soon as you have people in the bases the FPS should be much much higher on Beta2 than on Beta1. Give it a try by spawning a shit load of baddies in the flagroom of Beta1 and Beta2, and look back at it from the other base ("npc_create npc_combine_s").

About the fade position of the front window, there are several factors behind this:
1. I want it to become clear as soon as possible as you move towards the base, as this obviously looks much nicer.
2. It must be opaque wherever you are in the other base (for FPS).
3. It must be opaque where offy commonly conc from (for FPS).

Where it fades atm, all these are satisfied as best as possible. The fade to clear starts just after you pass the last common conc point (the little ridge on the ground in front of the conc platform), and fades to opaque as fast as it can without looking too strange. Yes, I am fully aware that there are places where you could potentially see into both flagrooms, but these are not places where it is crucial to have high FPS, and looking pretty is more important. Of course, if in playtesting it turns out the fade is in the wrong place, it's extremely easy to tweak.
o_caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2006, 10:14 PM   #143
o_ohcanep

So, I spent rather long time in ze beta2 just abusing noclip. The yard is pretty ideal for some skiing, sliding, fishin' and what not. I don't think it's too tough on your system either although I didn't check my fps there. I remember having a significantly lower fps only in the flag room and at the main ramp but that's obvious.

After having my test dummy toasted for a few times by the lasers I need to ask you, are you going to make them kill everyone or just enemies? In an odd way that made me think of an even stranger occasion. What if someone gets the flag, goes down the lift (assuming that it'll be possible) and teleports into one of the cages? That's not even remotely likely to happen but you never know.

I think the overall feeling of the map is great and it really looks like something that'd play well in FF. Even so, I'm not that fond of that cartoony wall surrounding the glass window.

PS: waiting for some more newspapers.
o_ohcanep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2006, 10:43 PM   #144
o_caesium

Fishing, eh? Catch anything? I want to live on aardvark, it's such a happy place to be :]

To answer your questions: the lasers will NOT kill their own team, and if you get the flag into the pillar of doom then it will play the German national anthem while your flag burns... But seriously, if you teleport the flag into there, then it's your own damn fault, and ppl deserve the right to laugh at you

I understand what you, and many others(!), are saying about the front of base texture. Hopefully a good one will magically appear with FF!..

Btw we've got some ace newspaper cuttings on the way :P

Old 04-26-2006, 11:15 PM   #145
o_nezumi

D to the L to the desktop. Please stand by.

Ok, edit after playing:
This is a fine and sexy map. My framerate is fine, although I have a pretty beefy system. The red glass is cool and the sounds are cool too.

My only real complaint is that you seem to have used a lens flair instead of a sun. I reccomend that you change the sun's color to solid white in a hurry.

Last edited by o_nezumi; 04-27-2006 at 12:06 AM.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2006, 11:57 PM   #146
o_tennovan

I love this map man. I get an avg 10 fps better in blue base than red when looking out window. Moving along red window, I got a low of 31 everytime. Moving along blue window, I got a low of 39 or something like that. Dunno if there's a certain reason for that or not and it doesn't really bother me... just something I noticed.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2006, 12:23 AM   #147
o_caesium

Interesting point actually... I get exactly the same FPS in both flagrooms, and there's no reason why people shouldn't (I assume both teams camera systems are in the same on/off state btw?). That said, we did notice once in testing that the FPS was different in the 2 flagrooms. We were confused for a little while, but reloading the map made them both the same again, so give that a go and let me know if they are still different.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:39 AM   #148
o_kam

Could try tweaking water_lod_control?
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2006, 11:18 AM   #149
o_zydell

Someone post/host screenies!!
o_zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #150
o_fresh

HE SPEAKS THE TRUTH^
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #151
o_caesium

I'll update the screenshots to beta2 ones this weekend hopefully, and I'll get one of your cutting for you Zydell

Old 04-29-2006, 06:58 AM   #152
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Just looked at the map and it looks great, The enviroment to the map is so realistic and the sounds make it perfect. The water makes sence now since it's not moving because before it didn't make any sence to why the water had movement.

I got a question, how do you bring down security?

BTW good looking map
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2006, 11:23 AM   #153
o_player

The water was moving due to the wind...

Beta2 is much better, I get better fps due to area_portalwindows or whatever they are called, the texturing looks cleaner and more professional and the sounds really fit the map; especially the sound used for the wind tunnel. Very good job and keep making it better
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2006, 12:06 PM   #154
o_caesium

I've just updated the screenshots with Beta2 ones. I've taken them from the same places as the Beta1 screenshots were plus a few new ones, and this time I've mixed the base colours up a little.

ff_aardvark_beta2 screenshots (you may need to hit refresh)

I don't know exactly why (maybe it's the light), but I really like this one:

Let me know in there are any bits you guys like/dislike please.

Btw Zydell, there's one there for you at the bottom

GeoKill, you deactivate security by pressing the button on the left wall here

Last edited by o_caesium; 04-29-2006 at 12:58 PM.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #155
o_pedro

Looks amazing! Keep up the good work
o_pedro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #156
o_paft

Looks really nice. Have you tweaked the glass? looks improved. Or is it every thing just looking so good now?

Last edited by o_paft; 04-29-2006 at 03:05 PM.
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #157
o_tennovan

You're right, the fps drop was due to the screen being on in that base. It drops my fps anywhere from 10-30 fps.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #158
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium
I don't know exactly why (maybe it's the light), but I really like this one:

I like it because I like how the window frame has captured the mid map. It looks really natural, just like the light
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #159
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I would like to add

Nice Newspaper in the flag room and same goes for the restroom
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2006, 10:25 PM   #160
o_zydell

Coooool!!! feels so good seeing that ingame here's the full newspaper cutting I did:

o_zydell is offline   Reply With Quote