Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 07-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #121
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
I've never played Diablo2, is it good enough to be enjoyable even today as a single player game?
Ya, the only thing that really sucks about diablo2 is the graphics. Gameplay is awesome though, hands down D2 is/will be a classic for a long time.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #122
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite307
Well woop dee doo, Diablo always had a cartoonish art. The crap 3d characters were cartoonish. The only thing that needs changed is the lighting. But i guess my opinion doesn't count since i'm a fan boy and i also clogged my vagina.
There is a HUGE difference between cartoonish and gothic. Diablo has always had gothic art. The issue I have is that the game doesn't look like Diablo and instead looks like Warcraft... something that doesn't exactly go hand in hand.

That blue-green crap where it should be black is a rather poor way of getting rid of light radius. The shoulder pads make it look exactly like WoW. The color scheme chosen for King Leorics woods does not match that of what we saw in Diablo 1.

The game has always had a gothic look. This is not gothic. Cartoony is a look that Warcraft has always had, not Diablo.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #123
Nezumi
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: Soldier, O
Gametype: Doubble Mode
Affiliations: Cassiotone Nation
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
I've never played Diablo2, is it good enough to be enjoyable even today as a single player game?
Even if you don't plan on playing with other people, make a character on b-net. That way you can play by yourself or with other people if you feel like it later, and there are more items.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #124
qwertyuiop
Voted #1 FF Forum Member
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Cool I'll check it out.
The single player in Diablo 2 is quite fun.

BTW, azurewrath is a phase blade. It only drops in 1.10 or later, so maybe it was changed from a crystal sword to a phase blade then (if you're sure it was a crystal sword)?
qwertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #125
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Even if you don't plan on playing with other people, make a character on b-net ladder. That way you can play by yourself or with other people if you feel like it later, and there are more items.
Ladder has even more items than open BNET, and the economy isn't crap. Also, fewer hax.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #126
SmellyCat
Darknight

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I've enjoyed replaying DII in the last few days. Only gotten up to act III though.
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #127
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
It sorta looks like Mythos Online right now.

Sorta almost exactly, except, y'know, Diablo.

I agree with most of the art criticisms, and I think the modified screenshots all look decidedly better, but... I don't really give a shit what it looks like, you know? I never had this huge hard-on for Diablo's aesthetics. I thought they were cool, but I never thought they were 99% of the game. If the look ends up going a little cartoony, or just lighter for the sake of visibility and gameplay, I'm not going to throw a fit and not buy it.

It doesn't look gothic but it still looks pretty good. The gameplay is gonna be what decides it for me.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #128
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
I'm with you on that Circ, gameplay over graphics... but even so, I lament the loss of a series tradition.

Diablo had to be one of the few games that did the gothic theme and did it right. It bothers me that they are moving away from it.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #129
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
It doesn't look gothic but it still looks pretty good. The gameplay is gonna be what decides it for me.
That's an issue for me because the graphics do a ton for the gameplay in a game like this. But please allow me to clarify.

In Diablo 1 and 2, the choice of color was not coincidence. The dark colors chosen (including Act 2 of Diablo 2... that color of sand was indeed a thought out choice) made your character stick out. Even further, it made your spells stand out and look powerful. Much in the same way, it allowed the act bosses to be colorful (See: Andarial, Mephisto, Baal, Diablo) and distinct. It allowed them to stick out from everything else in more than just a "OH WOW THIS IS A UNIQUE MODEL IN THE GAME" sort of way. The abilities they used also looked powerful and intimidating (until you learned how to dodge them) because they stuck out.

The biggest example of this would be Mephisto and the Durance of Hate.

Mephisto was bright and blue. His spells were bright and white or blue. The Durance of Hate was black. Black and red. Not only did he stick out, but he looked POWERFUL because of it.

The issue with having a ton of colors is that the enemy has to physically become large in order to appear intimidating. This also means that the player has to become physically large as well. The answer to this are retarded shoulder pads that stick up 80 feet into the air. This has been Blizzards answer to everything related to power since WC3.

Don't get me wrong. It looks great. It just doesn't look like Diablo.

Another major issue for me is that the places they have shown look absolutely nothing like what we KNOW they look like from experience in them. That dungeon they are in? That's the Cathedral in Tristram. Do you guys ever remember it looking like that? I'm not talking about design because the cathedral was random. I'm talking about the colors, the architecture, etc.

The woods that they exited have also been seen in Diablo 1. All of the surrounding area is King Leorics Woods. This is not only explained in a few books, but in Diablo 1 itself.

"But it's been 20 years!"

That doesn't even make sense. In Diablo 1, the demons hadn't made it outside yet and the landscape was incredibly dark and dead. In Diablo 2, the demons were ALL OVER TRISTRAM and we know exactly what happened there.

In Diablo 3, a few things have happened:

1. A meteor (or whatever that was) smashed into the cathedral.

2. Demons and undead are ALL OVER the landscape.

3. Everything is colorful and alive.

This goes completely against what has been established in Diablo 1 and 2 AND even Diablo 3. This sort of screams like the CG department, the lore department, and the gamedev/art department aren't communicating.

I'd like to bring something else to your attention...

http://i29.tinypic.com/6fm4h2.jpg

Respect the franchise my ass.

Ronald Reagan

Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #130
shadow
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
I got more of a "Gauntlet Legends" vibe from it...
rofl my thoughts exactly...
this would own as a gl sequel, instead of that crap ps2 game they made.

also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
You also have to remember that this is 20 years since the worldstone was destroyed. 20 years without evil around can do a lot to a fantasy world
Quote:
"But it's been 20 years!"

That doesn't even make sense.
even though i do agree with you credge. <3
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #131
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

I made a post analyzing the gameplay video.

There's some neat stuff in there.

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread....p=1&#post41374

Old 07-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #132
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
even though i do agree with you credge. <3
Nah. 20 years can do a lot. What it can't do is make darkness turn into blue-green. That doesn't even make sense.

20 years also doesn't make the cathedral nice and pretty.

20 years can add color to the world... but it can't exactly go against what is established in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
I made a post analyzing the gameplay video.

There's some neat stuff in there.

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread....p=1&#post41374
Jesus christ... and I thought I was a fan.

Ronald Reagan

Old 07-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #133
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop
The single player in Diablo 2 is quite fun.

BTW, azurewrath is a phase blade. It only drops in 1.10 or later, so maybe it was changed from a crystal sword to a phase blade then (if you're sure it was a crystal sword)?

Used to be a Crystal Sword.
I've been playing D2 since it came out, the 1.10 patch was about when I quit playing.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #134
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
Synergies and other abstract piss. Boo!
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #135
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Jesus christ... and I thought I was a fan.
I've done three or four five-day Diablo II lan parties with my freinds. 12 hours straight of playing, levelling up over the days. I am a hardcore fan, hands down, no doubt about it.

Last edited by Nezumi; 07-02-2008 at 02:34 AM.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #136
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Can I ask a question as a simple observation? Why are people so worried that this game is going to mimic WoW. I understand the art style argument, I understand the gameplay argument. What I don't understand is why people think spell cool downs, pack slots for inventory, items taking up individual slots are native to only Blizzard and WoW. Almost every MMO i've known and played had at least one of these things if not ALL of these things, while this isn't an MMO, everyone seems to be comparing it to one. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt shall we? I'm not sure...but I don't think Blizzard has delivered a game that has failed tremendously.

If everyone would please take a moment and remember a game that is a little closer to home here on these forums...Valve did A LOT of things different in TF2 and people freaked the hell out, including myself. Is TF2 not a good solid game? Yes.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #137
Etzell
D&A Member

Spell cool downs and inventory slots were in D2. They were short, but they were there. Also, if you're talking about the orange bar? That's TOTALLY the experience bar.
As far as TF2, I don't like the style, I don't like the gameplay, I don't play it. Your argument gives me more cause to worry about D3 than I had previously.

Last edited by Etzell; 07-02-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2008, 12:16 AM   #138
shadow
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabeggar
If everyone would please take a moment and remember a game that is a little closer to home here on these forums...Valve did A LOT of things different in TF2 and people freaked the hell out, including myself. Is TF2 not a good solid game? Yes.
but i HATE tf2, are you implying ill hate d3?
:/
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 AM   #139
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
but i HATE tf2, are you implying ill hate d3?
:/
It's a possibility.

Ronald Reagan

Old 07-02-2008, 02:38 AM   #140
Nezumi
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: Soldier, O
Gametype: Doubble Mode
Affiliations: Cassiotone Nation
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
Spell cool downs and inventory slots were in D2. They were short, but they were there. Also, if you're talking about the orange bar? That's TOTALLY the experience bar.
As far as TF2, I don't like the style, I don't like the gameplay, I don't play it. Your argument gives me more cause to worry about D3 than I had previously.
Ditto.

A friend of mine pointed out that Starcraft II looked more cartoony-ish when Blizzard first showed off screenshots, then fans bitched, and now it looks more realistic. If you're an optimist, you can conclude that Blizzard listens to it's fans and Diablo III will move away from the generic look it has now to the more specific Diablo style.

Yes I understand the irony in saying 'make it the old way so it's less generic'.