Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Debates & Arguments

Old 01-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Because I know this will end up here anyway...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8469367.stm

Discuss.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
ELYSIUM.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
PoisonDuckie
poisonduckie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: [CfH]
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Well anything to help debunk healthcare reform I suppose.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
A multi-decade long democratic seat in one of the most liberal states just got handed to the republicans in a 40 point swing from the start of the election. Will the democrats get the message that maybe even their own people don't want their healthcare solution? I think so. Some are already calling for it to all stop, at least a few of them are listening to the people for a change. They should start doing the right things to solve the problem.

Scuzzy

Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy View Post
A multi-decade long democratic seat in one of the most liberal states just got handed to the republicans in a 40 point swing from the start of the election. Will the democrats get the message that maybe even their own people don't want their healthcare solution? I think so. Some are already calling for it to all stop, at least a few of them are listening to the people for a change. They should start doing the right things to solve the problem.

Scuzzy
I don't think it's as clear cut as that. Yes, a Republican won a long-time Democrat seat, but if you look deeper you'd realize that Massachusetts residents already have their own version of universal health care, and the 'reform' going through Congress would be worse than what they have. So it's not really a referendum on Obama's presidency, or health care, because it just plain doesn't benefit the people of Massachusetts. Massachusetts is the exception to the rule in the health care debate, you can't conflate this special election with the rest of the country, especially, when like I said, Massachusetts has a completely different circumstance than the rest of the country when it comes to health reform.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Quote:
Massachusetts residents already have their own version of universal health care, and the 'reform' going through Congress would be worse than what they have.
You managed, in one statement, to justify scuzzy and the entire "radical" republican base stance on health care.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Coakley ran one of the worst campaigns in the history of Massachusetts. That anyone is surprised she lost should be surprising in itself.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

It surely didn't help, but she pretty much ran things as a liberal does, she was a good example, and the people responded to the truth. It would be nice if liberals ignore the policy issues being the problem too and just believe she didn't get the message out in full. The more people see what liberals want the more they reject them, it would be nice if they keep showing people the real deal in the next few months.

Scuzzy

Old 01-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Scott Brown for El Presidente.

Impeach Gaybama for being Gack (gay black).

This is my own point of view and in no way should represent The Dev team as a whole.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray kitten View Post
You managed, in one statement, to justify scuzzy and the entire "radical" republican base stance on health care.
Yeah, I was thinking about that on the way home actually. Kinda. My line of thought was more along the lines of "So Kennedy was voting for something that his constituents didn't want? Sounds like a pretty terrible dude."

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
Yeah, I was thinking about that on the way home actually. Kinda. My line of thought was more along the lines of "So Kennedy was voting for something that his constituents didn't want? Sounds like a pretty terrible dude."
lol nice twist.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray kitten View Post
It's the truth, Massachusetts already has 'Romneycare', and the health reform in Congress would diminish what they have. The fact that this truism ostensibly supports the 'radical' Republican agenda doesn't really say much, since the Republicans love to pour money into Medicare but not actual health reform.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:09 AM   #13
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
This is shocking because MA is so liberal, I think it might be illegal to be straight. I thought there over the summer and we had some government people talk to our students and they talked about how "Gay rights is the single most important thing of our time!"

Old 01-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
It's the truth, Massachusetts already has 'Romneycare', and the health reform in Congress would diminish what they have. The fact that this truism ostensibly supports the 'radical' Republican agenda doesn't really say much, since the Republicans love to pour money into Medicare but not actual health reform.
I think most politicians love to pour money into anything that build either their power base, current reputation or future legacy. It doesn't matter what their party affiliation is... virtually all of them do it. It forces me to believe that the process by which people gain office is horribly compromised. If there's someone whose sincerely after true reform that is Constitutionally compliant they aren't holding office now as far as I can tell. Or maybe what those rare few have to say never gets heard above the roar of fecal matter gushing from the mouths of those in the MSM?

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #15
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
This quote below can be applied to so many systems, was my point. Insert "they" meaning most of America. Massashesetts is just one of them. Even congress it self won't go for the plan THEY ARE VOTING ON.

Quote:
'reform' going through Congress would be worse than what they have.
The funny thing is when it comes to healthcare reform libs don't want to give up what they already have. Just like that republican base I referred too.

And maybe I am too moderate but I don't know anyone or hear anyone on the 'publican" side that does not bitch and scream about medicare. Just about the only people who support it are the AARP. That liberal president and the liberal congress are sure tossing a bunch of money at it right now.