Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #481
Norris
The Good German

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
I'm not sure why I respond to these posts. Obviously you guys have already made up your mind not to like TF2 already and little can be said to change that unless Walker comes out and says "haha, gotcha. Yea, we decided to make it exactly like TFC." Maybe it's just so some casual guy stumbling upon this won't see all the posts saying DOOOOOOM and then in turn make a decision not to even try the game based on that.
yep it's kinda useless but still...

Iggy: TF2 is not going to be a CTF game OK? Why do you always compare the gameplay of TFC to TF2? Different games. you won't need nades to take down soldiers. your goal is to capture control points.

about your sentry gun argument: it takes more time to upgrade the sentry gun now. you can see this in some video posted here. so you can't just fully set it up in 20s. and no, the classes aren't useless against the sentry. the scout can strait run past it or double jump over/around it. the spy can go invisible or disguise as enemy. the demoman can still toss explosives like you saw in the first video! sniper can kill everything with 1 shot. the soldier does still damage with rockets. maybe you need to kill the engy first with a well placed rocket. god forbid skills! and how about the pyro, heavy in combination with a medic who makes them invulnerable? we have no idea how strong or weak the sentry gun is going to be either. What makes you think that new gamers will be pissed? I thought Valve always tried to make the game friendly for newcomers. So I really doubt that the sg will be so immortal like.

.. just because you can't toss all your nades on a sentry gun or on a soldier doesn't mean that the game is going to be shit!
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #482
AmazingNurseEnrique
Alcoholocaust

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to AmazingNurseEnrique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
Ghost...have you ever played 2fort without nades? With the current weapons balance, it SUCKS! Going by the video, it doesn't take more than a shot or two to kill someone....Something is completely out of place.

But, hey....you have your opinion....and I have mine. I never said I would not try it...but my opinion is that FF will be the better of the two games.
Holy crap. I was actually thinking "Glad everyone realizes this whole demo is set on one-hit kills for the over-exaggeration of it all." Guess I was wrong.

Never assume gameplay specifics from promotional materials :P
AmazingNurseEnrique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #483
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
I think Valve inadvertently spoofed themselves with the first TF2 video releases showing off the classes. It was almost as if they had taken the worst parts of TFC and taken it overboard for the video. I almost think someone at Valve was having a bit of fun initially but nobody caught on. Not sure though. =)
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #484
AmazingNurseEnrique
Alcoholocaust

Send a message via AIM to AmazingNurseEnrique
Yeah, agreed. If you look at it as the over-the-top presentation it's supposed to be, it's cool, but as soon as you start analyzing it for gameplay, things get wonky.
AmazingNurseEnrique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #485
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNurseEnrique
Yeah, agreed. If you look at it as the over-the-top presentation it's supposed to be, it's cool, but as soon as you start analyzing it for gameplay, things get wonky.
That was the first thing I do when I see any videos from TF2, and every single one of them is shockingly disappointing in that respect.

At least the FF devs release videos with gameplay in them...

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #486
GhOsT

Actual in game TF2 footage is starting to creep into videos being released now. The game is still at least a few months away from release. Gotta keep people insterested instead of dumping all the footage at once a ways out from release.

It's actualy kinda like when the devs released the dustbowl valley movie. That basically just showed off the map with extremely short 3rd person clips that made trying to figure out what was going on in them difficult.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #487
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Well, one of the things that we assumed to be fake from the first videos, the huge cone of fire on the ac, appears to actually be that way from subsequent releases. The odd part though is how you can see a different set of center tracers appear in a much tighter cone in that first video if you watch carefully.. It's like Valve had ported the ac code from TFC or something and hadn't tidied it up yet.. Was strange, does anyone else remember seeing that?

Old 06-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #488
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Who assumed that the cone of fire was fake besides you? :>

Killing guys in 1 shot, sure, but there was no reason to assume the cone of fire was whacked out for that scene, seems to fit their gameplay.
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #489
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Yeah, that's why it's "lawlz".. It's a good 40 degrees across haha.. wow.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:31 PM   #490
own3r
Custom mapper

Don't forget this is going on consoles, they can't aim remember they've got some retarded joystick to wrestle with. They will just get so trashed if they play with Pc gamers its unreal... but oh so funny.
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #491
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Well they could just have a keyboard and mouse setup on the console.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #492
barronofhellion

mise well buy a computer
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #493
Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Well they could just have a keyboard and mouse setup on the console.
Xbox doesn't let you last time I checked. Could be wrong.
Fail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2007, 11:38 PM   #494
groovyf
In the clouds

Fairly certain xbox360 supports USB keyboards
groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 12:51 AM   #495
mistermojo
the pumps dont work

yeah but you cant use them in game
mistermojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 12:59 AM   #496
Nadagast

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISH
Who assumed that the cone of fire was fake besides you? :>

Killing guys in 1 shot, sure, but there was no reason to assume the cone of fire was whacked out for that scene, seems to fit their gameplay.
I saw the cone of fire, I thought it was exaggerated like a lot of the things in the movie. If the cone of fire in the real game is that big... wow...

Old 06-06-2007, 02:11 AM   #497
Serik

Yeah, if the gameplay turns out to be like the first teaser movie, I'll be pissed.

And at this time, I don't think consoles and PCs can play against each other (who'd want to, anyway?). But ya, I don't like the trend of "dumbing down" PC games for the sake of consoles. See Shadowrun
Serik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 02:33 AM   #498
Fail

Of course the cone of fire is fake, along with the damage. All you need to do is look at the scout part. He is clearly hit by the HWGuy, rocket splash, shotgun blast, and turret fire without dieing. Now you telling me you think the the scout could actually survive what a bunch of soldiers fell easily to?
Fail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #499
GhOsT

Stop it with your logic, Fail!! You must blindly believe EVERYTHING that is shown in that video!!
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #500
own3r
Custom mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
Stop it with your logic, Fail!! You must blindly believe EVERYTHING that is shown in that video!!
Sieg heil V4lV3!

own3r is offline   Reply With Quote