Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Anyone else waiting for palm pre?

http://www.engadget.com/hub/palm-pre

Makes me wet. iPhone killer
Shadow00Caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
I've carried a Palm since the original Pilot. Currently I carry a Tungsten T5. I love Palm, the OS and the Company. I really hope this new phone is a hit for them as I really wonder what the future holds for them if it's not.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: Griefing/Spawn Camping
The webos looks sick, if you havent already .. check out the videos. I have always preferred palmos over windows and other mobile platforms, it has always had the stability and community over any other mobile os.

I had the T5 for awhile, then I stopped carrying around 4 different devices, it was just too much.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Class/Position: Yes
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [ gr. ], UGC-FF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow00Caster View Post
iPhone killer
roflcopter. Nothing can touch the iPhone, it's in a league all by itself. Palm is out-dated because they're unwilling to adapt to the new markets. Their hardware is sub-par, their software blows. I have had and used just about every smartphone out there from blackberry to palm to windows mobile to samsumg's side project (garbage).. and I've now settled with the iPhone. No one will ever come close; apple has their shit together and is headed for the top.. ok.. well.. maybe not the top.. but they will be above the curve for a while - with both phones and computers.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc View Post
I've carried a Palm since the original Pilot. Currently I carry a Tungsten T5. I love Palm, the OS and the Company. I really hope this new phone is a hit for them as I really wonder what the future holds for them if it's not.
I was an old palm hordcore. but over the last 8 months or so i have sold out and gone windows. It's easier to set up vpns and echange interfaces. Other than that this thing could bring back the palm in a big way. Back from what I would call.... the dead.
Disconnected: Kicked by Console : "Banned Until 8/13/09 06:01PM".
SkullBash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogicality- View Post
roflcopter. Nothing can touch the iPhone, it's in a league all by itself. Palm is out-dated because they're unwilling to adapt to the new markets. Their hardware is sub-par, their software blows. I have had and used just about every smartphone out there from blackberry to palm to windows mobile to samsumg's side project (garbage).. and I've now settled with the iPhone. No one will ever come close; apple has their shit together and is headed for the top.. ok.. well.. maybe not the top.. but they will be above the curve for a while - with both phones and computers.
Once the iPhone (if ever) is available outside that shit fuck of a company AT&T I may just gobble one up. Meanwhile I'll stick with my shitty windows OS compared to iPhone because I actually hat At&T THAT much.
Disconnected: Kicked by Console : "Banned Until 8/13/09 06:01PM".
SkullBash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
1) the webos is new software, it's not palmos.
2) the hardware itself is nothing like original palm software.

It's supposed to be a whole new leage for palm, getting them out of the nothing they have been in, everything looks promising, but we will have to wait and see.

The biggest thing about the palm pre, is its based on everything the iphone does/did good, incorporates and expands, and takes everything the iphone did bad and gets rid of it. They have had the past, what 3 or so years, of another company doing r&d and product testing in the open world for them .. now all they have to do is crank out something that will blow it away.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:12 AM   #8
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
I looked at the iPhone but ended up going with the Blackberry Storm. AT&T was a HUGE negative. I've carried a cell phone since the days of AMPS...not NAMPS...but AMPS. In my area AT&T is terrible and they don't seem to be making the investments to improve anything. Couple that with the lousy way that the iPhone handles MMS and that the Blackberry handles email better...it was an easy buy. The Storm lets me install applications however I choose to and I'm not chained to only what Apple blessed....no thank you. Before you bring up Jailbreak...not interested.

Is the Storm perfect? No. Is Verizon perfect? No. But for my needs the Storm was a good fit.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
I'm good with the HTC Touch Pro, you can customized so much
Keyboard a big plus for me. Coverage for Sprint seems ok so far

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

You guys do know that you can unlock the iPhone to use it on any GSM carrier, right? T-Mobile, AT&T, o2, orange.. any carrier with a SIM card - and you can pick a used (or new) one up off eBay or craigslist for less than you'd pay for an HTC pro or palm. I got my girlfriend one for Christmas and she's on T-Mobile so I unlocked and jailbroke it for her and she's been using it ever since. She got a data plan for it about two months ago and all I had to do was go in and enter a data server in the network settings and, boom, she had internet. I did the same for a friend at work, here - we found one for her on Craigslist and got it unlocked... it was all really easy.

@ Shadow: They say that about every 'iphone killer'.. that it's all new hardware.. and software... and guess what - it never works out as well as they hoped. There will always be good and bads about new phones - hell, there are bads about the iPhone, but the truth is that you can do so much, the hardware is so advanced, and the store, cydia and installer have opened the iPhone to new levels.

@ Geo: I used the HTC Pro for a while - it was a good phone. I love HTC's hardware but I can't stand the Windows Mobile OS - especially after having my iPhone now. Maybe if the manufacturers who use WM would boost the CPU by maybe 300mhz and give it 1gb of built in, internal RAM you'd see a shift... but I don't see it happening any time soon. I also liked having an actual keyboard, but Apple has done so well with its 'predictive type' that I don't even miss a keyboard anymore. The iPhone almost learns how I type, learns the words I've misspelled or fat fingered and corrects me.. it's really amazing.

@ innoc: I'm glad you like your storm. I've read some HORRIBLE reviews about it and I've been messing with a friend's here at work - I hate it. Maybe it's just because I'm coming from the iPhone.. but it doesn't seem responsive.. it doesn't touch where you want. See - MMS isn't a big deal for me. I'm connected through my company's exchange server and anyone I'd want to send a picture to has access to email through their phone 24/7 so i just email it. My gf did download a program to send MMS but she's resorted to emailing the pics since it's a lot easier. I'm not sure how you mean the blackberry handles email 'better'... the BIS from blackberry is AWFUL so unless you are on a BES then forget it... the iphone does a great job.. it has typical exchange push, or you can connected it through POP or IMAP. I haven't ever had a problem with email on it - it's been terrific. And as far as the apps go - hey, if you're happy with what you can get for your BB, then great. Before you knock the app store take a look - can you really find a fart machine for the BB? I think not. Plus, you also have cydia and the installer to get the apps that may have not been approved by the apple store, or customizations for the iPhone.. there really is no end to what you can do.

Last edited by illogicality-; 03-03-2009 at 12:39 PM.
illogicality- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
@ innoc: I'm glad you like your storm. I've read some HORRIBLE reviews about it and I've been messing with a friend's here at work - I hate it. Maybe it's just because I'm coming from the iPhone.. but it doesn't seem responsive.. it doesn't touch where you want. See - MMS isn't a big deal for me. I'm connected through my company's exchange server and anyone I'd want to send a picture to has access to email through their phone 24/7 so i just email it. My gf did download a program to send MMS but she's resorted to emailing the pics since it's a lot easier. I'm not sure how you mean the blackberry handles email 'better'... the BIS from blackberry is AWFUL so unless you are on a BES then forget it... the iphone does a great job.. it has typical exchange push, or you can connected it through POP or IMAP. I haven't ever had a problem with email on it - it's been terrific. And as far as the apps go - hey, if you're happy with what you can get for your BB, then great. Before you knock the app store take a look - can you really find a fart machine for the BB? I think not. Plus, you also have cydia and the installer to get the apps that may have not been approved by the apple store, or customizations for the iPhone.. there really is no end to what you can do.
Email for BB has always been what it does better than anyone. My BB is tied to my Linux email server. Quite often I see the message hit my Storm before it hits Thunderbird. Two of my coworkers have tied theirs to the company exchange server and they report the same thing. Email works fantastic. As to inaccuracy on the Storm touch screen I haven't seen it. The Storm does what I need. As to unlocking the iPhone I group that in the same category as jailbreaking it. I want full carrier support for the phone I carry. Supposedly Verizon will be getting them in the near future but I don't care. I also like the fact that I all I need to load the Storm with music (should I choose to do so) is a cable and a PC. No iTunes needed.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #12
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
@ Shadow: They say that about every 'iphone killer'.. that it's all new hardware.. and software... and guess what - it never works out as well as they hoped. There will always be good and bads about new phones - hell, there are bads about the iPhone, but the truth is that you can do so much, the hardware is so advanced, and the store, cydia and installer have opened the iPhone to new levels.
I completely agree about the iPhone, I was at the ATT store inches away from getting one, but I don't want to look like a fag mac fanboy. I would like one because yes there is soooo much, the development aspect of it is phenomenal as well. One of my big things is I cannot stand they keyboard, and I do an abnormal amount of e-mail from my phone for work and really need the hard keys. I'm also interested as to palms approach at the app store and stating that development will be possible and sdk made avaliable, in a limited fashion at first, but more in the future. Not only that, it will have flash support out of the box, and allow really neat development of flash based apps for the phone as opposed to java.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #13
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Quote:
I completely agree about the iPhone, I was at the ATT store inches away from getting one, but I don't want to look like a fag mac fanboy. I would like one because yes there is soooo much, the development aspect of it is phenomenal as well. One of my big things is I cannot stand they keyboard, and I do an abnormal amount of e-mail from my phone for work and really need the hard keys. I'm also interested as to palms approach at the app store and stating that development will be possible and sdk made avaliable, in a limited fashion at first, but more in the future. Not only that, it will have flash support out of the box, and allow really neat development of flash based apps for the phone as opposed to java.
Yeah - the lack of flash is one of the downfalls of the iPhone. I'm pretty sure that Apple is seeing the need for Flash and will incorporate that in one of their upcoming full updates.

I've always used a keyboard with hard-keys, too.. and wasn't sure how I'd like the iPhone.. but like I said before, the predictive type is amazing and they constantly improve it. I'm almost to the point where I can type without looking at the iphone keyboard and not worry about putting the wrong words.

I've seen a lot of phone manufacturers, lately, open their doors to SDK use in order to help users customize and build their own apps. When I had my Samsung Instinct (garbage - with sprint) they had a program for that.. but no one used it, lol. I'm sure this Palm phone will be awesome.. and if they can get the people base to help with development and SDK then they'll be set.. but one of the reasons of the iPhone's success is because it has the sheer numbers and people who want to develop new things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc View Post
Email for BB has always been what it does better than anyone. My BB is tied to my Linux email server. Quite often I see the message hit my Storm before it hits Thunderbird. Two of my coworkers have tied theirs to the company exchange server and they report the same thing. Email works fantastic. As to inaccuracy on the Storm touch screen I haven't seen it. The Storm does what I need. As to unlocking the iPhone I group that in the same category as jailbreaking it. I want full carrier support for the phone I carry. Supposedly Verizon will be getting them in the near future but I don't care. I also like the fact that I all I need to load the Storm with music (should I choose to do so) is a cable and a PC. No iTunes needed.
Of course blackberry has always been email.. that's what they do - but you can't REALLY say that one phone is better than another because it simply receives email a few seconds faster than another.. that's ridiculous.

And to your point about 'full network support' - You don't get the 'full' effect form the iphone unless you jailbreak it! It opens the iPhone up to so much more. The only two features you lose if you unlock it and put it on another network are the visual voicemail and the 3g speeds (for the time being, if you own an iPhone 3g). Everything else stays the same.

I doubt Verizon will get iPhones - Apple signed a big deal with AT&T and I don't think there is any way around it for the time being.

As for the music - Yeah.. I'm not a huge fan of itunes on a PC, but I have an ibook, macbook pro and one work macbook pro and iTunes works flawlessly on it. If it's that big of a problem, you could also use winamp (on PC) to transfer the data. There are ways around it if you really dislike itunes that much.

Last edited by illogicality-; 03-03-2009 at 04:19 PM.
illogicality- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Ya right now I have an instinct .. worst pile of shit phone I have EVER used .. I have the os so hacked up Sprint won't even let me FRU it because they say I voided the warranty by flashing the os with my own shit, even though they could just as easily flash it back to factory defaults .. I don't much care, the biggest thing is I made the virtual keyboard less retarded and acceptable to my standards until I get new phone.

The whole open standards to phone mobile platform development is huge now, look at android .. any company that looks at the android os and the iphone and says lets model an os, an open software policy and functionality based off these 2 phenomenal pieces of technology, would make billions in todays market.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #15
Demasu
Official FF Medic

I'd get an iphone if it went to a better carrier, and it got at least MMS, if not a bunch of other stuff. I do more than I would with an iphone, with a normal phone, and an ipod touch. Besides, I'm liking the G1 and might be getting one when I can if nothing better comes out. The palm pre does look pretty awesome though.

...and you wonder why I love doctors.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #16
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Quote:
Ya right now I have an instinct ..
I'm really sorry .. I shared your pain.. for about 2 weeks, then went back to my Palm 800w

Old 03-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #17
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

what do u think of the touch pro .. i have always stayed away from winmo on my phone, but i did love my moto q

Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #18
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Quote:

@ Geo: I used the HTC Pro for a while - it was a good phone. I love HTC's hardware but I can't stand the Windows Mobile OS - especially after having my iPhone now. Maybe if the manufacturers who use WM would boost the CPU by maybe 300mhz and give it 1gb of built in, internal RAM you'd see a shift... but I don't see it happening any time soon. I also liked having an actual keyboard, but Apple has done so well with its 'predictive type' that I don't even miss a keyboard anymore. The iPhone almost learns how I type, learns the words I've misspelled or fat fingered and corrects me.. it's really amazing
Yeah I understand that and it was a big issue for me at first. I google a bunch of tweaks and its now a bit decent but slow compared to the Iphone. I guess right now I'm used to it and every once in in a while I have to soft reset the phone since RAM memory builds up. What I'm really liking about Windows Mobile is that you can customize the themes, icons etc.. I use Skyfire which supports Flash. I like recording videos, use the flash on the camera as a flash light, tethering, switching sd cards for more space and a bunch of other stuff. So right now I'm happy with my phone and don't plan on getting anything new for a while.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #19
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Quote:
what do u think of the touch pro .. i have always stayed away from winmo on my phone, but i did love my moto q
I love HTC stuff. I started with the Mogul then got the touch, then the touch pro.. then went to my palm 800w.. Great phones. And it is true, you can do a LOT in the registry to speed the phone up. I also had skyfire and loved it! When I had my mogul I hacked the firmware and had EVDO and GPS a good 6 months before it was released by Sprint.

Toward the end, and subsequently the reason I went to the instinct, I had to reboot my 800w daily as it would constantly freeze - not fun

Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #20
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

I think I may get a touch pro, I have always like HTC and I don't have the patience for palm pre right now. Ive done a lot of research on the touch pro and it seems pretty reliable and from what you say about the reg hack shit it makes it more promising, I just need to find the shit.