KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Well imo, COD is waaay more fun for the PS3 than the PC, and not just because of no dedicated servers. You can't simplify something like FF though, it will break the game.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #22
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Does anyone remember when Quake3 was ported to dreamcast? Watching people try to play q3 on a dreamcast controller should be an invaluable lesson!
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #23
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Better than that, I remember hearing about people on their PC's who managed to hack into the DC network and basically start murdering everyone due to mouse aiming.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #24
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Eh Mr.Marchese, I thought this was your trick to get more traffic to your website but I guess it's a legit thread. I myself too cannot imagine playing FF on a controller,but I think it would truly be an interesting thing to see.
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN

Last edited by moosh; 05-15-2010 at 01:19 PM.
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #25
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I think I may have stated before that the only console that could do FF well with it's STANDARD controller would be the Wii. Everyone is now thinking I'm nuts, but think about it....

The pointer mechanism makes a very good mouse device once you get used to it, and can spin you around quite quickly. After a while of playing a well made FPS, it really starts to feel like an extension of your arm....a feeling I've never gotten with a mouse.

Graphically, the Wii might chug a bit, and the visuals would have to be simplified for those times when 300 things are happening very quickly at the same time. Plus, the network support is lacking and may have a tough time keeping up with every event.

Button assignment is mostly a no-brainer, with A being fire, B being jump, C for nade 1, and Z for nade 2. That would leave plenty of buttons for the extra commands, and a menu system would be a breeze with the pointer.

Motion controls for the Wii have been proven to be flakey at times, so you can't depend on those for any major action.....instead they could be used for activating switches, dropping ammo, or dropping the flag.

FF could be done well on the Wii.....theoretically. Maybe this could be a project for the Wii Advanced, or Wii HD, or Wii 3D, or wtfever it's going to be called?
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin

Last edited by Peon; 05-15-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #26
Eon Seig
AaaaaaaTATATATATATATATA!

Class/Position: Pyro Scout Soldier / Offense
Gametype: CTF/AvD
This is what I think of this.
Eon Seig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #27
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
lets see someone bust a move on a pair of atari 2600 paddles?
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #28
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I've played FF with a PS3 controller in a few pickups. This was before BHop was easy shit.

Sadly, NEDM could make the experience enjoyable.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #29
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka View Post
lets see someone bust a move on a pair of atari 2600 paddles?
LOL, your old enough to remember the 2600? what about coleco vision and pong.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #30
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Hell I'm old enough to remember that the Atari joysticks were actually compatible with the Commodore 64 ports. This was significant since Atari made good joysticks and the C64 ones sucked.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #31
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon View Post
I think I may have stated before that the only console that could do FF well with it's STANDARD controller would be the Wii. Everyone is now thinking I'm nuts, but think about it....

The pointer mechanism makes a very good mouse device once you get used to it, and can spin you around quite quickly. After a while of playing a well made FPS, it really starts to feel like an extension of your arm....a feeling I've never gotten with a mouse.

Graphically, the Wii might chug a bit, and the visuals would have to be simplified for those times when 300 things are happening very quickly at the same time. Plus, the network support is lacking and may have a tough time keeping up with every event.

Button assignment is mostly a no-brainer, with A being fire, B being jump, C for nade 1, and Z for nade 2. That would leave plenty of buttons for the extra commands, and a menu system would be a breeze with the pointer.

Motion controls for the Wii have been proven to be flakey at times, so you can't depend on those for any major action.....instead they could be used for activating switches, dropping ammo, or dropping the flag.

FF could be done well on the Wii.....theoretically. Maybe this could be a project for the Wii Advanced, or Wii HD, or Wii 3D, or wtfever it's going to be called?
This actually makes sense...

Old 05-20-2010, 01:28 AM   #32
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

FPS on the Wii still suck.

They're fine for on-rails shooters, but games like Red Steel and CoD just control terribly.

Edit: Aiming is fine. Movement is terrible.

Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Credge; 05-20-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:09 AM   #33
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
FPS on the Wii still suck.
Wrong! Heheheh......just wanted to punctuate that. Just play some Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and you'll be singing the Wiimotes praises for FPSs. I hear Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 is even better...for the controls at least. Here's a quote from the IGN review:
"Textures look great, the framerate locks at a steady 60 for the majority of time (small hiccups do occur), and it's a generally beautiful experience on Wii, easily trumping the previous Medal of Honor title and Call of Duty as the best looking first-person experience under Prime.

What it is, however, is the best controlling, most entertaining first-person shooter on Wii, and a no-brainer for hardcore gamers. Everything from IR sensitivity, horizontal and vertical look sensitivity, and dead zone (the amount of space the IR can move without beginning to push the screen) is fully customizable, allowing for near-perfect control via the Wii remote. With a few minutes of tweaking, most players will find their sweet spot, though with the options always on-hand we ended up making fine-tune changes throughout our entire first playthrough of the game right up until the review. Now that we've found exactly the right feeling though, we're deadly, and it was well, well worth the time it took to tweak it; online results are proof enough of that"
Quote:
They're fine for on-rails shooters, but games like Red Steel and CoD just control terribly.
The early Wii FPSs controlled like your guy was a near-sighted stumbling drunk retard submerged in Elmer's glue.....a lot has improved since those days. These games should have been delayed, and only succeeded in pissing everyone off.
Quote:
Edit: Aiming is fine. Movement is terrible.
Like above.....Metroid Prime on Wii = FPS greatness. Why that game doesn't have online play defies all logic.....it's like getting a bunch of presents for your birthday but then one of your friends spits in your face.....it almost ruins the occasion.

MOH: Heroes 2 does have online, though, that many reviewers say is pretty fun. If only these 2 had been launch titles.....

Also, I have hacked my Wii so I can run many homebrew apps, including working Doom and Quake 1 engines. Quake in particular feels really fucking good, and your guns all twist and turn based on what angle your wrist is in......it has a neat feel. The aiming and turning is so good it's almost scary.....I'm not kidding. I can't imagine a Quake TF MOD could be that hard to pull off on the Wii considering the Wii version engine is running simply off the original Doom 1-3 and Quake PC WAD files.....true story. I highly encourage everyone to try this.....and there's many ways to get the WAD files.

All of what was said, and there's no damn way a tiny thumb stick beats the Wii-mote.....

One more thing to add in the favor of all consoles though is a point that FF managed to prove, and that is that the game doesn't require a reload button. The ammo system is old-school, and you can fire at will, so make auto-reload always on, and there's one less button to push. It's also a really interesting feature of FF's gameplay that there's never a bad time to be reloading, and not many games can say that.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin

Last edited by Peon; 05-21-2010 at 04:12 AM.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #34
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity View Post
Hell I'm old enough to remember that the Atari joysticks were actually compatible with the Commodore 64 ports. This was significant since Atari made good joysticks and the C64 ones sucked.
Amiga, too. I believe Commodore used it everywhere!
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #35
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Wrong! Heheheh......just wanted to punctuate that. Just play some Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and you'll be singing the Wiimotes praises for FPSs.
Ok.

Before I do, could you tell me if I can strafe and turn at the same time? And, if so, can I do so by not pointing my pointer at a corner of the screen?

Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Credge; 05-21-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #36
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Wii clowns: The game's never coming to Wii for the same reasons as Xbox, plus even more licensing and cross programming issues, I don't know why you're debating it. If you really want better controls than mouse and keyboard, look up the Razer Sixense. Not only will that be more accurate, but Valve's released a free SDK for it.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #37
Agret

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Agret Send a message via AIM to Agret Send a message via MSN to Agret Send a message via Yahoo to Agret Send a message via Skype™ to Agret
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity View Post
Better than that, I remember hearing about people on their PC's who managed to hack into the DC network and basically start murdering everyone due to mouse aiming.
Um, Quake 3 was always meant to be cross-platform. They released the maps as a pak file and if you were using the same patch version as the dreamcast users you could play with them

Quote:
I can't imagine a Quake TF MOD could be that hard to pull off on the Wii considering the Wii version engine is running simply off the original Doom 1-3 and Quake PC WAD files.....true story. I highly encourage everyone to try this.....and there's many ways to get the WAD files.
Quake uses PAK files not WADs, also TF originally started on Quake so it already exists. If the source code is available then it's probably quite easy to get it running on the Wii, however if no source release was made it's not possible to use the x86 binaries on the Wii platform and a new mod will need to be created

Edit: Yay!

Last edited by Agret; 05-22-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Agret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #38
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agret View Post
Um, Quake 3 was always meant to be cross-platform. They released the maps as a pak file and if you were using the same patch version as the dreamcast users you could play with them

Quake uses PAK files not WADs, also TF originally started on Quake so it already exists. If the source code is available then it's probably quite easy to get it running on the Wii, however if no source release was made it's not possible to use the x86 binaries on the Wii platform and a new mod will need to be created

Seems pretty playable to me.
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #39
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Quote:
Before I do, could you tell me if I can strafe and turn at the same time?
Well, the strafing is no problem, 'cause you move your legs using the Nunchuk attachment's analog thumb stick....this is the best feeling walk mechanism I've ever seen anywhere. The N64's analog was the best thumb stick I'd seen before that, and simply for one reason......your thumb placement on the stick was straight up and down, and not at an angle like the PS1/2/3, Xboxes, Dreamcast and even the Gamecube. It feels very natural to push your thumb straight up to go.....well.....straight up! The Nunchuk stick for the Wii actually feels better to me and the thumb placement is straight up and down, like the N64.....it's damn perfect! if only there were more than 2 buttons on the Nunchuck
Quote:
And, if so, can I do so by not pointing my pointer at a corner of the screen?
Unfortunately, if it's going to be something you don't like, that's how the pointer works for FPSs. When you're pointing at the middle of the screen, you don't turn until you aim outside of this imaginary "dead zone" circle. The farther outside this circle you aim, the faster you turn. It might sound bad to you now, but once you get the feel of it you'll love being able to jump really high in the air, while spinning around, and pointing your arm down at the ground to blast some bothersome land based shithead.

Every time I think about how good that feels I get that same slap in my face reminder that MP3:C has no multi-player......not even local......what a farking shame.

Just want to add also that MP3:C has a lock-on button if you don't feel like manually aiming. Just get the crosshair near the enemy, hold the button, and blast away. Incidentally, if you hold the lock button when you're not pointing at an enemy, it locks the screen in the direction you're facing, and you can aim around the current frame at will without turning around......it's like planting your feet or something......it's very handy.....I like it.
- George Carlin

Old 05-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #40
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Quote:
Quake uses PAK files not WADs,
Oh yeah, that's right....my bad.....it's still awesome on Wii though.

Quote:
Awwww damn! Like I needed another project/recreation......if the network code works I'll be on that hicks to cousins. Thanks dude!!!
- George Carlin

Tags
fortress-forever-xbox360