Old 05-24-2006, 12:01 AM   #101
o_sizeablessonic

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I enjory Eureka 7. Naruto is good too.
o_sizeablessonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2006, 03:22 AM   #102
o_nezumi

Don't worry tyrus. I consider myself rather intelligent and I don't think I've gotten all of it after the third time I watched it!
(And you spelled tachikoma right!)

I haven't seen the last 3 episodes of Second Gig but the first 23 were quite a bit easier to follow (but no less entertaining and the animation is even better)

I just remembered, has anyone seen Steam Boy? It's a fairly recent movie by Katsuhiro Otomo (the guy who wrote Akira and Directed the anime version of Metropolis). That's a good movie. If you like Miyazaki you should definitely check it out. It's like steam-powered 19th century london, but all the steam powered stuff is really high tech. Like robots and moving castles all powered by steam.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2006, 03:44 AM   #103
o_tyrus

I just rewatched "Ghost in the Shell" the original movie because its been like 5 or so years since I last saw it. Back then I really had no interest in GITS, but after watching the series, SAC, I had to start at the beginning.

In the movie, I noticed that Motoko's personality was far different than in SAC, but by the end of the movie, I see where the change came about. I thought the movie was far easier to follow and on the whole, kind of cool Unfortunately though, it was also sort of boring. Good prequel to the series though. Kind of like an introduction.
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2006, 04:11 AM   #104
o_nezumi

In the comic (which is excellent btw) Motoko was almost kinda wacky. It's a big switch between it and the movie/show. Actually, the comic is just a little crazy in general (Like when Batou kills the head of the other section with the car :P)

Old 06-03-2006, 05:33 AM   #105
o_tyrus

I just started watching Gundam Seed after many years of avoiding it. I always assumed that the Gundam series would be the cheesiest of cheese in the mecha category of anime. But for some reason I noticed that it has a good user review on animenfo (within the top 20 i believe). The question of "why" it was in that spot has finally gotten the best of me and now I'm currently enjoying the series very much. I'm on episode 10 atm and I see great chances and possibilities for this series to be great, turning me into yet another Gundam fan.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:37 AM   #106
o_nezumi

That's exactly why I'm watchin Ruroni Kenshin...

...and I'm also on episode 10. Haha. But All 7 seasons of ranma are downloading now so it may be a while before I get the rest of Kenshin.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #107
o_tyrus

I watched the kenshin series, er uh, half of it. The Kensin OVA's (1 and 2) and the movie are all great. The series is also ok up until the "Shishio Arc" is done. You will see what I mean when you get there. I actually stopped the Kenshin series around episode 40. From what I read, continuing afterwards is pointless.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:17 PM   #108
o_nezumi

Damn, a bigot and a troll.

Fuck off unless you've got something to say.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #109
o_ginger lord

My opinion:

Anime sucks.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #110
o_nezumi

"Rap sucks"
"Metal sucks"
"Anime sucks"

Can someone tell the class what is wrong with statements like these?

Old 06-05-2006, 07:09 PM   #111
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

This thread is for discussing Anime. We're well aware that some people think it sucks, but just saying so doesn't add anything to the discussion. So, please refrain from posting if that's the extent of your contribution.

I mean it.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #112
o_ginger lord

It sucks because the voices annoy me, the way people go crazy over it like its the second coming of christ and the freaking noses are > shaped. God that annoys me so much.

The spend all that time making futuristic/fantasy scenes and they do a half arsed triangle for the nose and two huge balloons for breasts.

Edit: Oh and I also just don't find the stories that interesting to even get me to watch half of them. Those that I have (Akira, GITS etc) have been "meh" material.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #113
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrus
I watched the kenshin series, er uh, half of it. The Kensin OVA's (1 and 2) and the movie are all great. The series is also ok up until the "Shishio Arc" is done. You will see what I mean when you get there. I actually stopped the Kenshin series around episode 40. From what I read, continuing afterwards is pointless.
Agreed. Up to and including the Shishio Arc it was amazing. The episodes immediately following the end of Shishio were like.. "Uh...we're all here and we lived...now what?" I was always disappointed that Hajime Saito never had any significant role after that. What a great character!

BTW, you mentioned the OVA's. Have you seen Reflections? It was interesting to see things that had occurred during the series but in the artistic styling of the OVA. I had wished for a different ending but ah well...it was their art....not mine.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #114
o_tyrus

I have seen the reflections ova. It was very good and very sad! And I do agree that it was cool seeing some of the fight scenes revisited with greater budget and style. The fight between Kenshin and Tomoe's little brother was amazing.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:10 PM   #115
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrus
I have seen the reflections ova. It was very good and very sad! And I do agree that it was cool seeing some of the fight scenes revisited with greater budget and style. The fight between Kenshin and Tomoe's little brother was amazing.
Aw crap! So you reached the same conclusion I did on the ending...more than a year now (I think) and I keep hoping that someone will show me something I missed and am wrong. Bittersweet.

I have watched through the entire series a couple of times. This last time was with my GF who I got hooked on it with the early part of the series...and she agrees that the last however many episodes were "huh? er... What?".

Triguns a fun series but it's completely off the wall. Cowboy Bebop is the only series I can think of that finished as strong as it started....plus the music was tops.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2006, 12:20 AM   #116
o_frenchtoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
"Rap sucks"
"Metal sucks"
"Anime sucks"

Can someone tell the class what is wrong with statements like these?
They all seem totally fine to me.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2006, 12:49 AM   #117
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Yeah, but you're stupid.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:59 AM   #118
o_skanky butterpuss

kids kids kids

FT, go to the anime sucks thread, circ, stay here.

the only anime i have ever been able to actually sit through is Ninja Scroll. also, the video for Cradle of Filth cover of Iron Maiden's "Hallowed be thy Name" that features clips from Ninja Scroll rules.
o_skanky butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2006, 02:27 AM   #119
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
If I have to...

Old 06-06-2006, 03:10 AM   #120
o_tyrus

Skanky, believe it or not, Ninja Scroll was the very first anime I ever watched. For long after it, it was the only anime I liked and I pretty much felt the same way as you: that all other anime just seemed 'bleh'. However, I love animation of all sort (even Disney), and my love for animation kept me 'trying out' new stuff. Every few months or so, I'd go rent a random title from blockbuster just to see if it was good. None of them ever were.

So, for a long long time, I thought anime was at a dead end and that maybe so was my interest in anime.

However, I eventually met a guy in college who was, at the time, an anime guru compared to me. Knowing this, I asked if he knew anything I might like that would be as good as "Ninja Scroll". He suggested "Kenshin"

Oddly enough as it seems, I had never been accustomed to a 'series' for animated shows. When I searched for "Kenshin", I saw like 60 different results: Kenshin 01, Kenshin 04, Kenshin 32, etc. I thought this was evident of a 'season', but didn't know I had to watch them in order. Most american cartoons don't require you to watch them order, so it was a logical misassumption.

The first few episodes I watched were a mixture from the series and the original OVA's. At the time I didn't know that the two were different. I watched episode 1 of the OVA's and was amazed. I loved it. Then saw episode 3, and loved it. Then I watched episode 12 or so from the series and was severely disappointed. The animation was totally different, the characters looked totally gay and there was no blood!

Anyways before I ramble on too much, the point I'm trying to make here is, if you liked Ninja Scroll, try the Kenshin OVA 1-4, Trust and Betrayal. Watch those four episodes and you will be amazed! They are very bloody and the story is much much better.

Kenshin's ova's were a sort of gateway drug for me. Oh and did I mention that this Kenshin OVA, episodes 1-4, I still recognize as my absolute favorite anime of all time.

Last edited by o_tyrus; 06-06-2006 at 03:31 AM.