Old 09-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #461
ekiM
Arrogance is Bliss

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekiM
What I don't understand is how someone can sit down and read the Bible or the Koran or any other holy book and decide "Yes, this is exactly what happened. This all makes perfect sense and I must follow its teachings. All the other religions are wrong; my vague feelings that 'there's something out there' apply specifically to this religion, only'". To me, that is absolute lunacy.
^^Christians/Muslims=Lunatics.
Criticising people who are far too sure of themselves is not being contemptuous of Christianity. I have a very great respect for many Christians I know who are brave enough to analyze their own beliefs critically. I have very little time for fundamentalists or extremists, including atheist ones.

Quote:
Quote:
Additionally, I don't understand how people can claim to be followers of Christianity (concentrating on the faith I am most familir with) and then lives that are so thoroughly un-Christian. It's like they don't even understand the teachings of their own holy book.
^^ Christians are idiots that do not understand their own faith.
Many are. Many are not. Nothing I said there implies anything about Christians generally.

Quote:
Quote:
Additionally, I don't understand how someone can truly believe in the truth of Christianity and not spend every waking minute of their day working to glorify Christ and the Lord as much as possible. If I truly believed in the truth of the Bible and the existence of heaven, I wouldn't be posting on forums, or doing a university degree. I'd be devoting my entire life to charity work and helping others. After all, this existence is just a fleeting prelude to the real deal that comes after we pass on. Right?
All Christians are either Liars of Hypocrites. They are Liars if they are not following what ekiM decides would be true belief in Christ. They are hypocrits if ekiM's definition of true belief is correct and they are not following it.
Stating that I do not understand the religious mentality is not expressing contempt for Christians.

Try again. You're looking for something that shows that I disrespect Christians or that I believe Christians are inferior for their belief. You are NOT looking for criticism of a subset of Christians or for evidence that Christians are different from myself.
ekiM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #462
halo

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Well in those quotes he's not so much bashing Christians he's stating that he's an atheist and doesn't quite get their reasons for belief and that people who profess a faith and don't follow its tennets are hypocrites. I don't see anything there that fits the bill of contempt. I mean if that's the standard for contempt then you hold atheists in contempt and I probably hold most of the world in contempt. I'm a Christian and ekiM gets on fine with me.
halo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #463
ekiM
Arrogance is Bliss

Fun fact : I attended the Christian discussion group in my hall during my first year at university.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #464
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Try again. You're looking for something that shows that I disrespect Christians or that I believe Christians are inferior for their belief. You are NOT looking for criticism of a subset of Christians or for evidence that Christians are different from myself.
Stop right there. You asked why WE see you as being contemptuous against Christians. Those statements, above, made by you, to many of US are a pattern of that. You may not like how we interpret them, but what we hear you saying above is "If you're not spending every waking moment working on the afterlife and God and ignoring all other aspects of modern life, then you aren't a 'christian', you're just a hypocrite." That is what we see in your statements. You don't have to like it. You can claim that you didn't mean to slap us all down, but that's how your broad statements like that in the past have been interpreted. If you can't see how we viewed your statements then the discussion is over, we agree to disagree.

Scuzzy

Old 09-11-2007, 07:36 PM   #465
qwertyuiop
Voted #1 FF Forum Member
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Stop right there. You asked why WE see you as being contemptuous against Christians. Those statements, above, made by you, to many of US are a pattern of that. You may not like how we interpret them, but what we hear you saying above is "If you're not spending every waking moment working on the afterlife and God and ignoring all other aspects of modern life, then you aren't a 'christian', you're just a hypocrite." That is what we see in your statements.
More proof that christians aren't good interpreters. If you take what he said as that, then perhaps that explains why so many christians have different beliefs than other christians. Take what he wrote as what he wrote, not total extremes of what he wrote. He didn't say "If you're not spending every waking moment working on the afterlife and God and ignoring all other aspects of modern life, then you aren't a 'christian', you're just a hypocrite."

Or perhaps that is what he meant, I don't know. I'm just guessing it isn't, only he can really answer it.
qwertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #466
ekiM
Arrogance is Bliss

Quote:
Stop right there. You asked why WE see you as being contemptuous against Christians.
Yes, I'm asking for something that shows I'm contemptuous of Christians. That would be something that shows that I disrespect Christians or think of Christians as inferior or think less of someone for being a Christian. None of the above have shown anything remotely like that.

Quote:
Those statements, above, made by you, to many of US are a pattern of that. You may not like how we interpret them, but what we hear you saying above is "If you're not spending every waking moment working on the afterlife and God and ignoring all other aspects of modern life, then you aren't a 'christian', you're just a hypocrite."
Well, that's not what I said. Saying that I don't understand religious people is not passing judgement on religious people.

Quote:
That is what we see in your statements. You don't have to like it. You can claim that you didn't mean to slap us all down, but that's how your broad statements like that in the past have been interpreted. If you can't see how we viewed your statements then the discussion is over, we agree to disagree.
Fact is that none of those quotes even remotely show contempt towards Christians. The words as written just do not mean what you say they mean. If you want to pretend that they do then that's your perogative but you are a liar.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #467
there's nothing here
lol

Location: Halfway sprawled out of a cardboard box at the bottom of a flight of stairs.
You guys make me rofl, a little.

See, see.

There is proof that the human race is doomed to wipe themselves out.

That little glimmer hope just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
there's nothing here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2007, 02:38 AM   #468
YomMamasHouse

You what my favourite Chili Peppers song is ? Hump de BUMP
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2007, 02:45 AM   #469
there's nothing here
lol

Location: Halfway sprawled out of a cardboard box at the bottom of a flight of stairs.
Omg.. I.. loathe.. that song..

I liked their old stuff.. yanno, the stuff I would've listened to when I was a kid.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:29 AM   #470
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Ah yes Chilli Peppers. Because popular bands are obviously the best :P.

*Goes to listen to some Nana Kitade* Listening to かなしみのきず。

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2007, 03:30 AM   #471
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Is unpopular music better?

I'm sure Nana is popular somewhere.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:31 AM   #472
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Good for you silver_fox, hate the mainstream because other people listen to it! jesus christ...

Old 09-12-2007, 03:57 AM   #473
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Fact is that none of those quotes even remotely show contempt towards Christians. The words as written just do not mean what you say they mean. If you want to pretend that they do then that's your perogative but you are a liar.
Your insistence that the statements must be direct references that say "I hate Christians" doesn't make a lot of sense ekiM nor is that reasoning consistent with what I have said. I've stated in the past here that it was your demeanor, your attitude, and your condescending posts all together that has brought many to these conclusions. The statements I've quoted are a part of that, which I gave you to try get you to understand from our point of view where the idea comes from. You're not interested in a Christians view of your statements, only what you want to believe they represent in a very limited centric view. You can refuse to accept other's beliefs, which is fine, but it doesn't make me a liar. It makes you appear thick headed and self righteous you can't comprehend that you come off like that, but that is neither here nor there. You have a very high opinion of yourself, and seem completely unable to accept the fact that you're not quite worshiped by others as you seem to think. I thank you for the discussion, but unless you want to discuss a real issue, I'm not interested in enabling your psychosis further.

As you have said to me in the past, Good day to you.

Scuzzy

Old 09-12-2007, 04:19 AM   #474
there's nothing here
lol

I'm not sure but.. it doesn't seem that you're willing to explore/accept his views neither.

I think that's just the same for the condescension and self-righteousness that you mentioned.

And geez, stop trying to think that you know how people think.. stuff like that is annoying. :\

Old 09-12-2007, 07:54 AM   #475
ekiM
Arrogance is Bliss

Quote:
Your insistence that the statements must be direct references that say "I hate Christians" doesn't make a lot of sense ekiM nor is that reasoning consistent with what I have said. I've stated in the past here that it was your demeanor, your attitude, and your condescending posts all together that has brought many to these conclusions. The statements I've quoted are a part of that, which I gave you to try get you to understand from our point of view where the idea comes from.
The statements you've quoted may sometimes show contempt for individuals who happen to be Christian. They do not show contempt for Christians as a group. Frankly I don't believe that you know the difference.

Quote:
You're not interested in a Christians view of your statements, only what you want to believe they represent in a very limited centric view.
halo is a better Christian than you; a better writter than you; and a better thinker than you. He doesn't think I am contemptuous towards Christians. Why should that be, I wonder?

Quote:
You can refuse to accept other's beliefs, which is fine, but it doesn't make me a liar. It makes you appear thick headed and self righteous you can't comprehend that you come off like that, but that is neither here nor there.
You are an intellectual coward to pretend that you are being persecuted for your Christian beliefs when in fact you are being criticised for very personal faults.

Quote:
You have a very high opinion of yourself, and seem completely unable to accept the fact that you're not quite worshiped by others as you seem to think.
Because I criticise you?

Quote:
As you have said to me in the past, Good day to you.
Still waiting on any evidence that I'm contemptuous of Christians. Still waiting on you to admit that your first example was nothing of the sort - you've ignored all mention of it which is a tacit admission.

Last edited by ekiM; 09-12-2007 at 08:58 AM.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #476
there's nothing here
lol

A world without criticizm (omg, I spelt that wrong didn't I) is like a world..

That is not our own.