Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 08-11-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
trepid_jesse
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Alright, folks, BattleField 2 will rule you.

Jon convinced me to pick up BattleField 2 a few days ago, annnnd it's sucked away all of my free time. Actually, it's sucked away my non-free time, like sleep time, too.

I spent 25 of the first 58 hours I had that game playing it in about 5 hour bursts of playtime.

So much cool stuff happens in that game constantly that you just... it, daddy?

Jon and I found some of these Dallas servers, and since I'm on this huge ass campus connection, and just north of Dallas, it's like I'm sitting on top of the server. I mean, most of the time my ping to the servers we play in is <10... haha, do you realize what you've done!?

Seriously though, everyone needs to go get this game so we can all go play it. I actually think that Jon and I ended up in a game with Jiggles, a moderator here apparently, which was like some crazy coincidence. I had a fun time flyin' him over to the enemy base and stealin' their blackhawk so that we could whale away on them. Yeah, see, you don't even know what I'm talkin' about when I say "blackhawk," but anyone who has played BF2 knows that these things can bring the wrath if you have a non-stupid pilot, and non-stupid gunners. See, the blackhawk has these miniguns on either side of the helicopter, and like Jiggles said during our spree of death, "I'm a flying HW." Haha, so, just imagine 2 HWGuys flying around in a helicopter, with infinite ammo, and ruling everyone.

There's no way you can ever know the coolness of BF2 until you play it. I never played the demo, but I'm sure there's something lost between just the demo and the full on boner of a game that is BF2.

Oh yeah, and it has this global trackin' stuff, which some sites have taken advantage of by making the stats available through a webpage instead of haivng to use the in-game option to view your stats.

http://www.got3n.com/player.php?pid=trepid_jesse

I just now noticed the total time is 37 hours, which is from when I got the game at around noon on August 6th. I must've taken the pace down a bit because I think I would've died like some Korean guy if I would've kept goin' at the rate I was goin'.

Anyway, get it... so that you can bask in the kick asseryness.

Trepid, what?
trepid_jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
o_ivaqual

1) wrong forum
2) bye bye ff development
3) just kidding, yeah battlefield 2 rules
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #3
o_ginger lord

I found it got boring after a while, but maybe the random servers I joined were rubbish and had little teamplay. Teamplay is great while it lasts.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
o_thenuke0

addiction is your enemy.
o_thenuke0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
o_kam

Not a huge leap over Desert Combat tbh.

In other news...
My ff bookmark just updated with this icon:
http://www.fortress-forever.com/favicon.ico
So yeah... is that a deer?
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 03:48 PM   #6
o_friedbunny

Gazelle.
o_friedbunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 03:52 PM   #7
o_ivaqual

... dorka ?

Old 08-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #8
o_shaggy

Not my cup of tea, I'm not a huge fan of the realistic games. This game reminds me between a online realistic FPS and RPG. It's the fighting style of most normal realistic type FPS, but the game allows you to level up, unlock new weapons, gain ranks, and collect medals and badges.

The actual coolest aspect i find in this game is its emphasis on team work. BF2 works around a point system inwhich enough points allow you to level up, higher your rank, and so forth. So obviously it's important to the people playing to gain points. Now this is where BF2 was ingenious. First of all, you gained points for helping teammates instead of just kills. For instance, medics are given points when they give their team health packs or revive them. Furthermore, if your team wins the map, the winning team points double. These two features create a want to both help out the team and win, unlike in tfc where people only care about their stats and not winning.

Actually we should take this aspect from this game. For example what if every time you healed an infected person you gained a frag. Everytime you healed 250 health points of your team you get a frag.
Ex. Heal 5 soldiers at 50 health each would give you a frag.
Do the same thing with the Engy also. Like every time you fix ### of armor you get a frag.

Also remember the old days when there was this website that use to track everyone's killings by name. I remember everyone cared about what rank they were. Perhaps we should bring that back to give incentive. And if you do bring it back, give some frag incentive for the team that wins the round. By doing this, people will start trying to win and help out the team more then helping themselves. Just a thought. But i really do like how BF2 keeps a record of everyone.
o_shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 04:10 PM   #9
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
From all the talking they're doing about the game, it reminds me of Operation Flashpoint which kicked so much ass but no one played it.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:33 PM   #10
o_frenchtoast

BF2 is the greatest most awesomest game I've played in a long time. I've been playing it as much as I can recently.

What you have to do to enjoy the game, is join a bunch of different servers, and write down the IP's. If you had fun, you keep the IP of that server etc. etc., until you have a library of good servers. I've got a few down that always have good teamplay, and the game just gets better.

BF2 for t3h w1n.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 04:36 PM   #11
o_ivaqual

yeah, about that. the server browser is scandalous. if the concept of pure crap was to be used to code something then this would be it.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:59 PM   #12
trepid_jesse
Fortress Forever Staff

Oh man, Operation Flashpoint was awesome shit back in the day, but yeah.. haha, no one ever played that game. I remember I was sick when it came out or something, and I had Jon pick up my copy when he went to get his and then come bring it to me cause I'm the man in this relationship.

We used to stay up all night playin' Operation Flashpoint. It was like.. BattleField before there was BattleField.

The teamwork in BF2 is awesome, though. I spent time in one of my 5 hour sessions bein' this crazy medic that was goin' around and reviving people in the middle of the death that surrounded us.

See, haha, the medics in BF2 have "shock paddles." They let you revive people in BF2 that have been "critically wounded," but they're not dead yet. You can also use them to kill people, and using the shock paddles to kill people is pretty fun.

Trepid, what?

Old 08-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #13
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i quite often experience good teamplay.. you join a squad with a good commander, and the good squad members will change their respawn point to his position and fight alongside him. i was doing that for 6 hours today, and our squad constantly received the best squad award. started out as an infantry squad, then for a while it was me and this kickass pilot in a blackhawk. we then moved onto the USAF fighter-bomber thingy with laser guided missiles. he divebombed, i fired. we racked up an insane killing spree of tanks and AA guns
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 06:26 PM   #14
o_jarek

you already do get 1 frag everytime you heal an infected person

yea BF2 is #3 on my list of games to get, WoW->HL2->BF2
o_jarek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #15
o_broodingdude

How 'bout posting your list of favorite server IP's Jesse?

my nick on BF2 is mockers1.
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #16
o_fathom

Mine is Fathom|h. I play bf2 all the time.

PS: Do you trepids still play on nZ's bhop server?
o_fathom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 07:22 PM   #17
o_qui

Yeah BF2 is fun, shame i lose my internet connection tommorrow coz im moving :/
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #18
o_fizzle

bf2 has also taken over all of my time these past weeks

i have 4 neighbors that play also, so when we get together...in a blackhawk.... just kill yourself before we get there

in one map i got 2 gold stars a ribbon and a medal
(full 32 person server, i wasnt killing afks!!!)

anyways...if you ever run into Zzubfizzle thats me
o_fizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #19
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Yeah, everything jesse said is true. You really need to get in a squad with a bunch of smart players, or the game can be frustrating. If you do, though, it is super fun. Another thing I suggest is getting as much RAM as you can afford. I picked up 2 gigs of low-latency ram, and now I never get screwed by resource loading lag-spikes. Even when I had 1 gig of ram, I would run into that, especially on the 64 player servers. Of course, I've got the sound and video quality settings maxed, so I'm sure that contributes. Also, with 2 gigs, I load much faster than most players, which gives me a head start on a new level.

I remember later that day, in the game I played with jesse and jon, they became opposing commanders (the map had no Blackhawks). My screen was constantly shaking from all the damn airstrikes! I finally got annoyed enough and started hunting artillery
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 09:16 PM   #20
trepid_jesse
Fortress Forever Staff

-e)X(treme-Recruiting- RANKED
70.86.75.58:16567

Dallas Art Of BF2
67.18.188.237:16567

1st Veterans Battalion RANKED
70.86.18.155:16567

EA Dallas Official IWD 9a
70.86.37.59:16567

EA Dallas Official UG 10d
70.86.37.54:16567

WindyCityGamers.com
70.86.74.212:16568

MSC mscwar.com Dallas
70.86.55.2:16568

EA US Official Dallas #01 [*OF*] - RANKED
70.84.10.66:16567

Syndicated Gamers - Dallas Texas
70.86.26.59:16567

www.artofwarcentral.com Dallas - Ranked
67.18.175.106:16567

Notice the IP of that "WindyCityGamers.com" server is similiar to those Dallas servers, so, yeah.. I doubt it's in Chicagho, but I dunno. Jon and I also use Xfire just for BF2 since well, it seems to be the easiest way for us to find each other. Our names on all of these things are the same as here, trepid_jesse and trepid_jon.

Trepid, what?