KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Most people who've played for a while know most of the maps by now and the best way you can accustom yourself to a particular map is to nominate it and vote for it. Just type nominate and you can pick a map you want to go back to.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #22
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
I would wager that 30-40 maps get played at least semi-frequently in pubs.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #23
Features-
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier / Medic
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: has left the game
Posts Rated Helpful 10 Times
People complain about the community so much.. yet do the same things themselves. It happens in all communities whether you like it or not. Cheaters, trolls, hardcore competitive players, ignorant asshole(me/chef), etc etc. You let people get to you it is your own fault. I've played TF2 pickups where I get bitched at for not knowing certain things yet people knew I was new. Played PvP in wow and got bitched at reamed etc etc by 10 year olds. Any fucking competitive game that is online is going to have assholes get over yourselves. It just seems like there is more trolls/assholes in this community because this game was never marketed and never had a big community to begin with.

I would like any of you guys who played TFC and compare the communities. All TFC except for the pubs were raging elitist who posted on forums about 'flame wars' to spark competitive play. If you were on thecatacombs at any time you know this. If you don't want social interaction in a game go play with some NPC's and they might not be assholes towards you.

edit: I'm not excusing the fact that people do it. I'm one of those people, and I get A.D.D. in pickups and barely try.. and have been banned multiple times, but I have gotten more players to play in pickups than making them ragequit

Last edited by Features-; 01-07-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Features- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #24
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Features- View Post
TF2...Played PvP in wow...Any fucking competitive game
Games that can get away with it because they already have a large community. In those games if you have a bad round there's always the illusion or chance that you'll have a better game some other time. Because you don't have to play with the same people literally every time you play.

And just because FF will never be the biggest game out there doesn't mean you should stagnate it into what it is. You can't deny that there's people who just don't play because of our community. And it's not even because people are trolls, it's because we can't even fucking finish a game, much less get one started without a hitch.

I've played in tfc pickups before. At least they get in server and get shit started.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #25
Features-
Beta Tester

I'm not excusing anyone from doing it. Most of the competitive environment I say about 80% are from TFC who were brought up on flamewars, etc. But bitching about the community and the lack of players isn't helping whatsoever it is just contributing to the problem. People have too much of an ego and most of the admins now poke at the drama to begin with. It's just weird though one day everyone gets along and we have close/tie games.. then next day we have a fail pickup and everyone stops playing.

Nothing is going to change unless we get a bigger player base(mainly through advertisement) and if you think the pickup games is ruining this playerbase it is only ruining the competitive players not the newcomers to pubs so they are just hurting themselves.. and this so-called 'league' and where the starter is in a constant fight and the one contributing the money says he can't even stand playing isn't helping.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
Drakonal
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Spy/Engy
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
I'm not gonna use this as much of an excuse but another thing to keep in mind is Fortress forever, and pickups in it self is not really your typical play style in gaming communities these days.

Most online games that people play having you working with your community against an element in the game albiet the environment or other players on a team/faction that you typically can't converse back and forth with.

Well our community is constantly in competation with eachother and while i prefer this style of game play ( a lot), it can be a little taxing on people not used to it, esp newer players.

This game is a perfect vessel to have organized team work compared to other games like League of Legends, or Starcraft2 where playing with people on a team that your not on in clan/guild with can be a livid nightmare.
Drakonal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #27
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Which is partially why I stopped playing those moba-style games. It was a livid nightmare nearly every game.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
WubbaDucky

Class/Position: Going for pr0 Engi
Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
ive been enjoying the pickups lately, with less critique and more help and balanced teams on both sides.
WubbaDucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #29
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WubbaDucky View Post
ive been enjoying the pickups lately, with less critique and more help and balanced teams on both sides.
That's because I'm a fucking awesome human being.

No need to thank me, all in a day's work.

Up, up, and awwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #30
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPelargos View Post
That's because I'm a fucking awesome human being.

No need to thank me, all in a day's work.

Up, up, and awwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Largos for prez
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #31
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
Largos and In Chargos.
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #32
Atreuce
Tiny Asian Penis Man
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D - Engy/Demo
Gametype: CTF/AvD
Affiliations: rQ
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Send a message via AIM to Atreuce Send a message via Yahoo to Atreuce Send a message via Skype™ to Atreuce
Rice sucks.
Atreuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 AM   #33
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreuce View Post
Rice sucks.
Pfft, you're just jelly of this sexyness.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #34
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by WubbaDucky View Post
Really depends on who is playing, but that's awesome to hear.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #35
Rck

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
I have only played 3 so far, but I agree that pickups are more fun. There is a lot to learn, and I am by far the worst player on my team, but at least I have now learnt to concussion jump and the guys in spectator taught me sharking last night
Rck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #36
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Sweet! Glad you are enjoying yourself. Some of the movement can be difficult to learn, but it really makes the game tons more fun when you know what you're doing.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #37
Atreuce
Tiny Asian Penis Man
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D - Engy/Demo
Gametype: CTF/AvD
Affiliations: rQ
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Send a message via AIM to Atreuce Send a message via Yahoo to Atreuce Send a message via Skype™ to Atreuce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
Pfft, you're just jelly of this sexyness.
I am indeed jealous of the jewish sexiness that is the rice.
Atreuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #38
ian.de

Posts Rated Helpful 14 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Features- View Post
Nothing is going to change unless we get a bigger player base(mainly through advertisement) and if you think the pickup games is ruining this playerbase it is only ruining the competitive players not the newcomers to pubs so they are just hurting themselves.. and this so-called 'league' and where the starter is in a constant fight and the one contributing the money says he can't even stand playing isn't helping.
You're right, people are the same no matter where you go and learning to deal with them is a necessary skill to have. My point was more to the effect that new players coming out of retirement or coming up from the pub-star scene who are trying to get involved with pickups get turned away fast.

You can't deny it, people get frustrated with new players and they talk shit, or stop trying halfway through a pickup, or sigh into the mic, or intentionally TK, etc. And what is the point of this? That's not helping anything.

I have really enjoyed playing in pickups lately, I had one of the best matches of my life playing on ff_resolve the other night. My teammates were Homie, Cloud, and Mafia. No one talked shit, no one complained, we all just did WORK, and communicated effectively. I would play all fucking day if I could play with teams like that.

Not to get into a dick-sucking fest here but you know what I love about playing with players like Homie, Neon, Cloud, Sab, OJ, Stiff, etc?

They are excellent players and they almost never bitch. When a cap is lost, they blame THEMSELVES not their teammates. I've heard each one of these guys blame themselves for missed dets, TKs, lost caps, even when they are carrying a team. I've never heard any of them yell at or act passive-aggressively toward a struggling teammate.

I understand that no one likes to lose but imo a loss is an opportunity for learning and growth.

That's what being a mature adult is about, you take responsibility, you assume the burden, and if your teammates are struggling you work that much harder to compensate. If everyone acted like these guys we would have the best community you could ask for.

And to address your concern about the tournament funding. I'm not going anywhere and if the tournament is actually successful I will absolutely donate what I promised. Although now that we are talking about it, marketing would be a much better use for the money but we'll see what people think.

Last edited by ian.de; 01-24-2013 at 03:52 PM.
ian.de is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #39
homie in reboks'

Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^ †
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.de View Post
And to address your concern about the tournament funding. I'm not going anywhere and if the tournament is actually successful I will absolutely donate what I promised. Although now that we are talking about it, marketing would be a much better use for the money but we'll see what people think.
Perhaps whoever wins should just "donate" the money to FF for future PR development.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #40
Features-
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
Perhaps whoever wins should just "donate" the money to FF for future PR development.
I don't think the money in general is really 'fueling' this tournament. Don't think it is a bad thing either, but it could go to better places. I want this tournament to happen just so I can play competitively again(pickups are fine, but choosing who to play with is x10 better). Also, I'm not putting names out there, but yes most of us who like to win I'm one of them blame other people are certain faults sometimes. Everyone has bad games it happens and even the best of people get annoyed.
I don't think it helps a lot of us know each other 'personally' what we do for a living, where we live, what we do for fun, facebook 'friends', etc.
I'm very grateful that we have people like squeek who got this on Greenlight and didn't demand anything from the community. He asked and he got the donations fairly quick rather then some people.