Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 10-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Lichme

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
beta map: twistedfort_small

This is my first time working with source maps, thanks to sir_frags and AltPluzF4 for the help.

The map detail kinda sucks, I mainly did this to get used to source mapping. I still need to add sound to the doors, clean up some textures, and figure out how to get foggy water (none of the textures I used seem to work). The map itself is one I ported over from TFC.

http://www.thetwistednetwork.net/dow...t_small_b1.rar

Lichme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
sir_frags

The detail does not "suck" like you said. I like the way it looks. The gameplay in the TFC version was great and fabulous. Don't know about FF gameplay yet, but I would definitely think with limited classes that the gameplay would be great too.

Door sounds? You wanting custom sounds then? The doors should have automatic sounds. Check your properties to make sure you got the right things check marked.

Foggy water you can get by adding or adjusting some lines in your water texture vmt. Things like this:

"$fogenable" 1
"$fogcolor" "{56 157 184}"
"$fogstart" 0
"$fogend" 15

Truth is, I cannot help you more than that because I've never actually used modified water. You can play with the numbers above and see if this does anything for you. If not, then go over to Interlopers.net level design section and post help there for modifying your water texture.

*Frags*
sir_frags is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Lichme

I meant the level of detail compared to most FF maps out there. For example, most of my map consists of squares and rectangles rather then curves.

The doors make a tiny clink sound when they open, which is fine, but I want some other effects and I just havent found one I like yet.

For the water, I have tried using the same water texture that is in well, and still no fog. I'll play around with it some more a little later.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
sir_frags

[QUOTE=Lichme]I meant the level of detail compared to most FF maps out there. For example, most of my map consists of squares and rectangles rather then curves............QUOTE]

You don't have to make excuses for that. Alot of the custom maps coming out now have mappers who are going for "pretty" over "gameplay" instead of trying to find the right balance between the two. I never even thought about that detail part of it until you mentioned it. The new kids whose first game was half life 2 probably aren't gonna like it, but screw them. The old timers will like it just fine.

Some of the textures are oversized, like the ones on the ramps, but I'm not picking out any more because you said you were still working on the textures.

Any reason why you dont add some source exploding barrels in there in various places? Didnt just think about it? Or you deliberately left them off?
sir_frags is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
Lichme

I didnt think of that yet. I basically just wanted to get the original ported to FF before I did anything else with it. I did take out the guns in the middle (which will upset some people and please some people), but I just wanted everything that functioned in the old one to work in this one.

The zoom tubes in particular (not shown in screenshots but they are fun as hell) was a pain to redo. for some reason they would only work when you were standing in the very middle of the trigger_push - I still dont know why that was, but its working now.

I'll play around with it this week. Hopefully I can find somewhere to test out the gameplay.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
barronofhellion

i can say a map can look like total sh*t and still be fun, besides thats what custom content is all about, making so many many maps that there is lots of choice otherwise you end up with a console game, it comes out and then dies because theres nothing but the same old same old... keep up the good work and gain experence as a mapper
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
I can not say that I am too fond of the map's blocky architecture or the textures. I think this would not look too bad with some Source textures in it (you have said that you are going to clean up some textures, so I assume this is what you meant by it).

That said, the map looks nice from the few screenshots I have seen. If this is your first Source map, try and take some time to tinker around with it a bit. I am all for playing a map if it is fun (and looks are not everything), but taking advantage of the Source engine really can make a map shine.

How you do it is up to you. You obviously have some skills as a mapper (albeit a new one to Source) and I think this map could potentially be so much better if you experimented with it a bit.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote