Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 05-07-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
o_nefarious

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
LockDown Idea [Please Read]

I was in the shower today and I was thinking of the mod then this idea hit me.

What about on certain maps there is a "lockdown" button.
Now I think I remember something like this before but.

If/When a flag is stolen (THE enemy has your flag!!) Someone can run to a ceratin room that has a lockdown button, and it locks that area down. Bars drop from ceilings or whatever to block main paths. Which would make the flag carrier resorts to an alternate route.
Also the flag carriers teammates;
for example a demo can set a charge to blow certain "lockdown" bars to pieces allowing the flag carrier access there now.
Or a spy is able to run into that "Lock down" room and "hack" the system to turn it off. This in turn would create more collaberation for teams instead of the usual mods one-man-army.

For a spy to hack the system they CANNOT be in disguise. Which would create a key point for a Sentry for the defending team.
as for the demo. the bars are in the proximity of the defending teams flag, so if hes in there, its the job to stop him from planting a charge..

anyways a rough idea. Any thoughts?
o_nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
o_k9-cop

Sounds cool to me. Most of those ideas sound like things that could be implemented by mappers without too much hastle, at least so long as there is a state check for flags.
o_k9-cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #3
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

This is a good idea. However, it is more related to Mapping design, so I moved the thread here.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2005, 05:17 PM   #4
schtoofa
Retired FF Staff

Interesting!

Old 05-09-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
o_elvis2049

good idea indeed
o_elvis2049 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2005, 02:20 PM   #6
o_uncle-argon

It could certainly provide some interesting game play.

Lets say there are three routes in and out of a flagroom; A, B and C:

Route A would be the standard way in and out of the base.

B and C would be the alternative entrances. Each of these sections would have big metal front and back doors, all of which would be open when the lock down controls are deactivated. In the lock down control room there would be two buttons, one for each section. Only one of these sections could be locked down at any one time. Each lock down would last, lets say, 1 minute before it would have to be reactivated.

When the flag is taken by the enemy offy, you can imagine the frantic shouts from def to "close section A!!"; the doors slowly descending at the end of a corridor whilst the offy runs desperately trying to escape. If he doesn't make it out, he would be trapped with the flag between two doors and would have to die or wait for the security to be lifted.

Offy would be faced with a gamble: do they try and work the flag out the long way, or do they take the risk of going through the lock down centres?

It would also pose interesting problems for a def setup; do you constantly try and have one entrance locked down knowing that it may mean you can't deactivate the other when the flag is escaping, or do you leave yourself with more entrances to defend in the hope that you can immediately lock down the flag when offy tries to take it?

As an extra twist, you could put the control centre in the enemy base. This should mean that good communication and team play between a teams def and offy is rewarded. It would also mean def would have to choose whether or not to help out their offy and stop the enemy from locking down their base.

in conclusion, interesting.
o_uncle-argon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
o_k9-cop

I should say there are a few tfc maps where lasers block an alternative (usually faster) route to and from the flag. However, these are deactivated by the offensive team and then come back on after a period of time as opposed to the opposite way around.
o_k9-cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2005, 09:32 AM   #8
o_lord_azazel

i think the aspects that Uncle Argon has put forward would give the game a totally new and very interesting flow.. this would mean not only skill would be involved but also intelligence, strategies, and most of all teamplay, not only with your defense partners ( or offense partners ) but with all 8 of your clan! i find this one of the, if not the best idea on this forum untill now and i m shocked that there isn't more respons to this idea..
personally i m bored stiff with playing the same maps over and over again, as mentioned on uktfcl forums, every clan match is played on one of the 6 most popular maps...

i hope one of you talented map designers will take a look at this new concept and work it out, it would give a new swing to the game surely !

cyall
o_lord_azazel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
o_imbrifer

I think this is a quality idea.

For those members of the community who will play LAN FF, it will be especially helpful, because it will be somewhat easier for a smaller number of people to defend the base. As others have said, it will also add some nice variety and interesting changes to each game.

I'm sure this could be toyed with and expanded. Anything from a brief total base lockdown to locking down sectors of the map inside (and between) bases could be employed. As mentioned above, moving the lockdown 'buttons' to different parts of the map would also spice it up.

I would like to see map plans that employ this, because I could see it working out nicely - but only if its done in a balanced way. I could see it just pissing people off..
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2005, 08:26 PM   #10
o_sobe green

It sounds like a cool idea. But to be pulled off right I'd think the layout would have to have little to no choke points. The mapper would have to have some severe skill in design or else it would fail.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2005, 12:10 AM   #11
o_don

I think the only way to know if it will work is to try it
o_don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2005, 12:11 AM   #12
o_donny

Yeah I love your idea! Real team work I'd say.
I hate it when scout just conc jups trough the map and steals the flag and conc jups to battlements and cap it
In this map he could get used to get his ass busted my hwguy visiting at the otherside of the gates

Oh and the gates shouldnt be there for ever, more like 2 mins or something
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2005, 01:00 AM   #13
o_luminous

it sounds kinda like the screens on oppose2k1 where it says which part of the base the flag is in, something like that but with bars could make a nice combo
o_luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2005, 08:25 AM   #14
o_soulpiercer7

for this you would first need to know if the game can respond to the different classes in different ways.

what i mean is, can you map a keypad that only works for a certian class? Can you make equiptment that breaks and have engineers fix them? Can you have things in your map that can only be triggered by a medpack? or a conc.

having this programmed into FF will give the mod unpresedented versitility.
o_soulpiercer7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #15
o_imbrifer

I wonder if the FF team will make entities in the map editor where only certain classes can trigger things... hmmmmm
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #16
o_catzeyes93

And remember to account for the ability to 'throw' a flag beyond an area that you cannot leave from.

Example: Well. You cannot jump off the sniper deck, but you CAN throw the flag out the window and into the open area, thus allowing your teammate to pick it up easier.
o_catzeyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2005, 12:21 AM   #17
o_uncle-argon

With regards to the specific class interaction; on the map Twilight_l, I think there is a secondary entrance which can only be opened by the spy and only repaired by the engineer. This (If I'm right anyway) was a feature of TFC, so I suspect it will also be transfered over to FF...

o_uncle-argon is offline   Reply With Quote