Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I meant in time also.
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 05:09 PM   #162
o_alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Ehrg. This game is so style dependant it looks like it'd be a bitch to map for.
That's exacly what came to my mind
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #163
o_ghost

Isn't that a problem with most of the new games coming out? They all have more and more detailed maps and people are coming to expect more and more out of a map.

To be honest I don't see it as that different from trying to make a map look good in FF. Only in FF you are trying to make it more realistic and detailed looking. In TF2 you are going the other way.

I'm pretty confident there are people out there that will be able to produce some good looking maps that will fit into the new TF2 world.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #164
o_kbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
Isn't that a problem with most of the new games coming out? They all have more and more detailed maps and people are coming to expect more and more out of a map.

To be honest I don't see it as that different from trying to make a map look good in FF. Only in FF you are trying to make it more realistic and detailed looking. In TF2 you are going the other way.

I'm pretty confident there are people out there that will be able to produce some good looking maps that will fit into the new TF2 world.
Yeah, maybe if anything it will weed out the noob "TF2_2fort_lolEdition_owned" mappers!
o_kbomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #165
o_chancellour

Valve Interview

I'm not sure if this has been linked yet... but Doug Lombardi gave an interview at the Leipzig Games Conference and talked about how the new TF2 came to be from Brotherhood in Arms back in '99. Some interesting tidbits. I'll paste the TF2 related items...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurogamer
Eurogamer: With Team Fortress 2, it seemed to take forever for you guys to even talk about the game. So firstly, why has it taken so long?

Doug Lombardi: Since Atlanta E3 in '99 when we first showed Team Fortress 2 as a very army-looking style game, there's been three iterations of the game that we built and sort of scrapped internally.

The most significant reason for that was the look and feel of the game, and sort of drifting from the look of the original Team Fortress. The gameplay in TF Classic and Team Fortress for Quake was sort of over the top rather than super realistic stuff and when we started to move down the army route all of a sudden it became really serious and quickly we realised we weren't building Team Fortress. And then at the same time Half-Life 2's development started kicking up and the Source Engine was born, and so that team said, "we're kind of headed down the wrong art-style path, and there's this great technology coming online that we want to take advantage of" so it was a natural shift there. And then we went down an interim art style and gameplay approach that varied as well from the roots of Team Fortress.

And we feel that now we've got something that's full of that true, over the top style, encouraging that style of play, but also one of the things we took into consideration was to give each class a visible identity if you will, a readable hierarchy so that if you're in combat you'll be able to tell from great distances whether or not it's a heavy you're about to deal with or a pyro - just from their silhouette - which is something we feel is very important to multiplayer games, and something we've always sort of beat ourselves up about with Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat, where it's a little bit hard to tell people apart at a distance. And in those games perhaps it's not quite as important as it is in TFC, because those character classes are so defined and they're so specific that you're really going to want to tune your approach to those players differently than you would perhaps the different characters in Counter-Strike or other games.

Eurogamer: The art style is certainly very distinct, reminiscent even of something like Battalion Wars or even Full Throttle.

Doug Lombardi: That's one of my favourite games of all time, actually [laughs]. All our decisions are based on decisions by what we call cabals, and folks iterate stuff and will pass it around and evolve it and what-have-you. For us the art style came from many influences, from '60s graphic artists, from plastic spy movies, from some of the Saturday morning cartoons from when we were kids.

Some of those influences are pretty apparent, and it was something for us that really clicked that... when we're playing Team Fortress, and we're in a classic match on dustbowl or what-have-you, you go from those moments of total laughter and craziness to everybody being very tense as you're on that last capture point.

It's a game that can be very humorous and very tense at the same time, and we wanted to find an art style that could match that, where the players had characters that you could have an affinity with - with the sniper with the hat and the glasses and stuff. That's a character people could get into and play that role of, and at the same time it supports the gameplay style of being serious at times and also being very humorous at others.

Eurogamer: How many maps and players then, for TF2?

Doug Lombardi: It supports 32 players, and initially we'll have a collection of maps that are some of the classics such as 2fort as well as some new ones, and in typical Valve fashion, post-release we'll have more.
o_chancellour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 05:52 PM   #166
o_qbaler

did anyone else notice they used the wilhelm scream?

I think its the wilhelm scream at least. Right when the engy dies from the demo's mirv.

Check it out.

and btw.. the demo's gun is pointing down when hes tossing the mirv.. I doubt he can shoot it. Would make it look weird if he could.
o_qbaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 05:54 PM   #167
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Pink Cloud of Death?
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #168
o_yoda891

Someone is going to port all TF2 maps to FF and vice versa, right? Just for kicks and giggles?
o_yoda891 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 06:07 PM   #169
o_alexkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyf
Did I miss something in the video? What part are we referring to that grens may be an actual weapon slot?

If it is the case, then yes, they've nerfed it big style, and it'll be a pain to play.
Maybe it is answered later, I don't know...But you can still see the pipe launcher in demo's hand as he throws the MIRV. Makes me think youre going to be able to use it.. EDIT - Already spotted, sorry.

Looks awesome. I see that a lot of you are still thinking (hoping? - sometimes thats what it looks) Valve is going to fuck up the game some way. At the moment everything looks impressive....lets give a chance.
o_alexkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #170
o_chancellour

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexkiD
Looks awesome. I see that a lot of you are still thinking (hoping? - sometimes thats what it looks) Valve is going to fuck up the game some way. At the moment everything looks impressive....lets give a chance.
I really don't understand how anyone who even remotely enjoys TF gameplay would hope that Valve fucks up TF2. That just doesn't make any sense to me. The more great TF games there are... the more people get exposed to TF gameplay... the more of a chance there is for future editions of TF. Where's the downside?

Old 08-24-2006, 06:25 PM   #171
o_jetpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
Pink Cloud of Death?
red mist im assuming.. when a sniper hits a headshot and you see the puff of blood

:P
o_jetpac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 06:33 PM   #172
o_fortrandragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dragon
{...} I'm sick of VALVe thinking that this kind of shit is what players want, they never ask or do polls to see what the PPL want, {...}
If you listen to the commentaries in HL2: Episode 1 Valve certainly does see what works. They play test the hell out of their games to make sure things work well. (As far as polls go, you have to be kidding. 'net based polls are a joke because they can so easily be subverted.)

If Valve is trying hard to make the game more accessible to new players that's a Good Thing (tm). Accessibility does not automatically mean a shallow, dumbed down game. An easy learning curve that keeps people wanting to learn more about game play is a laudable goal. (Appealing to only the hardcore TFCer is not a long term survival goal for this game type.)

Anyway, the videos are marketing PR. They are designed to get people interested in playing the game. They aren't designed to Reveal All (tm) to the long term and/or hard core TFCer. The true test will be the released game.

Ob: I'm looking forward to both FF and TF2. I'm sure I'll have fun with each since I'll approach each on its own merits.
o_fortrandragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 06:34 PM   #173
o_alexkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellour
I really don't understand how anyone who even remotely enjoys TF gameplay would hope that Valve fucks up TF2. That just doesn't make any sense to me. The more great TF games there are... the more people get exposed to TF gameplay... the more of a chance there is for future editions of TF. Where's the downside?
Ask that to people making assumptions about a game they havent tried out. To me it looks great, its a breath of new air and, no doubt, its going to bring lots of new people to TF. Many people in here just want to stand out over the general opinion that it looks nice. My opinion, of course.

EDIT - Just took a look to the higher definition AVI posted here. ITS AWESOME!!!
o_alexkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #174
o_fortrandragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping_Chow_Chi
I thought that was the detpack o_0
It reminded me of the goal in the old Unity vs HARM game type in No One Lives Forever. (TF2 reminds me of the NOLF series since both games are borrowing from the 60s-style spy genre. Most Excellent. )
o_fortrandragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 07:53 PM   #175
o_groovyf

Not out till Feb 07...

Quote:
Half-Life 2: Episode Two and its three-game entourage - on three platforms - has slipped until Q1 2007. February, we're told
from the same eurogamer link as the article above.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66973
o_groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 07:54 PM   #176
o_ghost

Que the DOOOOOOOOM posts.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 08:13 PM   #177
o_dcdc

sniper scope?

i didn't read the last few pages, but did anyone notice that the sniper has a real scope now? as in, only a small circle of visible space?

gimme my ridiculous field of view
o_dcdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 08:28 PM   #178
o_kbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyf
Not out till Feb 07...

from the same eurogamer link as the article above.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66973
#@$%!!!!
o_kbomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 08:34 PM   #179
o_chancellour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbomb
#@$%!!!!
Perfect, now we get a few months of spotlight for FF before TF2 comes out. I'm sure they'll be countless individuals who try out FF just to tide themselves over until TF2's release who never would have downloaded it if TF2 came out first. I'd bet a good number stick too.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:35 PM   #180
o_yoshura

1. that rocket jump part was the best

2. the SG looks like some kid's toy

3. scout wasnt bunny hopping

4. no pyro footage yet "Breaking News: TF2 Delayed! Pyro flamethrower, and Medic Infection not working!"

5. soldier run = retarded

6. nerf spy
o_yoshura is offline   Reply With Quote