Old 10-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #161
Ginger Lord
Retired FF Staff

Affiliations: Custard
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via MSN to Ginger Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Privately owned firearms (with the exception of target shooting and hunting, I believe) are virtually nonexistant in Britain.
Er...nope.

There are way more illegal firearms floating around in the black community than legal firearms in the UK at the moment and last time I checked we had a good couple of million legally held firearms.

Back home in my little village we're surrounded by about 8 houses, off the top of my head I can count between us we have about 20 different firearms. It all depends on where you live here.

As for the fear of someone breaking in and killing us randomly, its never materialised over here unlike the US. The majority of burglaries are chance things such as a chav seeing a window open and snatching stuff from it when you're out. I'd say a good 95% of burglars in this country would scarper as soon as they even felt movement in the house let alone seeing or hearing someone else move, plus most houses have alarms and that deters them even more.

We tend to practice a more defensive deterrent over here(decent locks, alarms, fences, lights, neighbours, dogs) rather than your offensive deterrent (one man and his gun). Although its now far too late for America to change, you've armed your populace so naturally the criminal world will be even more armed.

However I would prefer it if the government clearly defined their view of "reasonable defence" when defending your property. These days its a grey area as people have gone to jail for killing intruders and others have had slapped wrists.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #162
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Add "getting your house cleaned up" to the list of reasons to own a firearm

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #163
halo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_pol...United_Kingdom

Interesting read on gun laws in the U.K. Basically most people could probably get a shotgun certificate. ("Shotguns are defined in UK law as smoothbore firearms with barrels not shorter than 24" and a bore not larger than 2" in diameter, no revolving cylinder, and either no magazine, or a non-detachable magazine that is not capable of holding more than two cartridges.")

Handguns are banned except "muzzle-loading "blackpowder" guns, pistols produced before 1917, pistols of historical interest." Even the olympic shooting team fall under the ban apparently. They have to train in other countries.

Quote:
To obtain a firearm certificate, the police must be convinced that a person has "good reason" to own each gun, and that they can be trusted with it "without danger to the public safety or to the peace". Under Home Office guidelines, gun licences are only issued if a person has legitimate sporting or work-related reasons for owning a gun. Since 1946, self-defence has not been considered a valid reason to own a gun. The current licensing procedure involves: positive verification of identity, two referees of verifiably good character who have known the applicant for at least two years (and who may themselves be interviewed and/or investigated as part of the certification), approval of the application by the applicant's own family doctor, an inspection of the premises and cabinet where guns will be kept and a face-to-face interview by a Firearms Enquiry Officer (FEO) also known as a Firearms Liaison Officer (FLO). A thorough background check of the applicant is then made by Special Branch on behalf of the firearms licensing department. Only when all these stages have been satisfactorily completed, will a licence be issued.

Any person who has spent more than three years in prison is automatically banned for life from obtaining a gun licence.

Any person holding a gun licence must comply with strict conditions regarding such things as safe storage. These storage arrangements are checked by the police before a licence is first granted, and on every renewal of the licence. A local police force may impose additional conditions on ownership, over and above those set out by law. Failure to comply with any of these conditions can mean forfeiture of the gun licence and surrender of any firearms to the police.

The penalty for possession of a prohibited firearm without a certificate is currently a mandatory minimum five year prison sentence and an uncapped fine.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #164
Ginger Lord
Retired FF Staff

Affiliations: Custard
Send a message via MSN to Ginger Lord
Every American must buy this to be safe!

http://break.com/index/awesome-new-i...e-back-up.html

Old 10-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #165
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Good thinking, that way when the government barges into your house and tries to steal your freedom you can shoot them all!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #166
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Eye
Bringing this back made me think another school shooting had occured.
Yeah, me too actually.

~kev~, I get what you were trying to do here. There's a lot of people here who would love to have something like this to throw up in uBeR's (or other certain people's) face.

Thing is man, this is the wrong thread to do it in. Quote uBeR's relevant post and start a new thread.

I have saved you the trouble:

http://fortress-forever.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16338

I have moved the newest posts from this thread over to a brand new comfy one in D&A. Have fun.

Also... these forums need a sage option.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.

Closed Thread