Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 09-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #161
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
Have you even taken a look at your local church lately? If you have the money to perform a marriage, they'll do it for you. Hell, look at our country's divorce rate. I'd expect a better argument coming from you.
Um, my argument had absolutely nothing to do with churches or divorce rates. But thanks for playing!

Scuzzy

Old 09-05-2007, 11:42 PM   #162
halo

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
If that is true and state governments are deciding that gay marriage should be banned, will you accept it as the morally right law of the land? It sounds like that's what you are arguing for above.
Well in theory law should be a reflection of the views of society but this is difficult to work under many circumstances, particularly those of no clear consensus. Homosexuality was illegal in Britain for a long time because most people thought that it was wrong. Then came the revolution of 60s and a lot of minds were opened. Consensus changed and the law changed to reflect that. In my opinion and, I believe, the opinion of the overwhelming majority of people now, this change made society more equitable. It was an advance, another stepforward in the 10,000+ year evolution of British society. However the real advance was not the change in the law (it was rarely prosecuted anyway.) The change in the law was a biproduct of the shift in people's opinions and that was the real step forward. It's consensus that brings about real equality, not the law, though the law plays a part in influencing that.

To try and answer your question I suppose it depends on your definition of morality. By today's standards the law was unjust, but you can't judge the past by the standards of the present because people and circumstances were different. It is possible for law to be unjust though. It doesn't always reflect consensus and it isn't always written adequately to cover all scenarios. Law is, by its nature, an imperfect institution.
halo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2007, 01:01 AM   #163
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
YOU'RE COMPLETELY FUCKING MISSING THE POINT

Jesus christ, you have this ability to read something that clearly states one thing, and it goes through your mind and ends up some jumbled mess. At least when I argue with Innoc or other people, they're coherent and address your issues. This is just retarded.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:22 AM   #164
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
YOU'RE COMPLETELY FUCKING MISSING THE POINT

Jesus christ, you have this ability to read something that clearly states one thing, and it goes through your mind and ends up some jumbled mess. At least when I argue with Innoc or other people, they're coherent and address your issues. This is just retarded.
You're arguing against a point that I never made, so yeah I'm gonna miss that. Why should I have to defend against assumtions you are making that have no basis in fact? If you want to argue with someone else that civil marriages can be done to two people in love, feel free, but I'm not going to argue that point because it isn't something I disagree with!

Scuzzy

Old 09-06-2007, 02:49 AM   #165
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Then would you mind explaining your argument? You're making little sense.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2007, 03:20 AM   #166
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

As far as I can tell, his argument is that he can only be held responsible for what he says when he wants to acknowledge he said it.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:32 AM   #167
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
Then would you mind explaining your argument? You're making little sense.
Sure thing Fox...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
Civil marriage is soley about taxation, asset division, survivorship, and benefit distribution.
Quote:
I was just pointing out that the state does not care about, nor require, "love" to unionize individuals.
Quote:
No, it was me making a very simple point that the US Government does not require love
Quote:
A civil marriage in most cases is about a blood test, a fee, and a piece of paper legally binding them, and therefore their assets. The ceramony could be "Do you want to marry her? Yep. Do you want to marry him? Yep. I now pronounce you man and wife."
Quote:
Does a civil marriage require love? No. Does the government require love? No. Can a marriage that only consists of a civil marriage contain love? OBVIOUSLY, DUH.
Now... there's a common theme in the above quotes. What part of the above is difficult for you to understand and makes little sense to you?

Scuzzy

Old 09-06-2007, 03:34 AM   #168
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
As far as I can tell, his argument is that he can only be held responsible for what he says when he wants to acknowledge he said it.
I quoted out my argument Toast, but it doesn't include any of the made-up assumtions and beliefs that you just decide to inject into a conversation, so you may have trouble following it.

Scuzzy

Old 09-06-2007, 03:35 AM   #169
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Wrong. Civil marriage isn't about love at all. Religious marriage is about love, honor, commitment. Civil marriage is soley about taxation, asset division, survivorship, and benefit distribution.

Scuzzy
Wrong. Civil marriage is as much about love, honour and commitment as religious ones. Apparently you are not married.
Marriage is marriage, recognized throughout the world regardless of religeon or lack thereof. The reasons behind it may include taxation, asset division, survivorship, and benefit distribution....but are certainly not limited to them.

Given your stated point of view, even if 2 people of the same gender are allowed to "marry"(get a civil union, what the fuck ever)...they will STILL be criminals because a> Sodomy is illegal, b> Oral sex is (in many places) illegal, AND, on top of that...any such "union" could be negated simply on the grounds that ANY marriage(that's right, including religious) can be "nullified" if the parties in question have not had sex. It would then be up to the couple to either admit to a criminal sex act, or have their union negated. In other words, they can choose prison, or back to being single. In the former, it would probably mean both.

Someone(not calling you out on this one) brought up the multi-marriage. We are not discussing that, no matter HOW many times someone tries to interject it. So let's leave it out, because it has no bearing on this. Unless you want to argue the possibility of multi-marriages being cross-sectioned to include 2 couples marrying each other, in a 4-way version....where each husband not only marries a second wife, but her husband as well.

Never argue with a stoned sub-genious.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2007, 03:46 AM   #170
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
Wrong. Civil marriage is as much about love, honour and commitment as religious ones. Apparently you are not married.
THE STATE DOES NOT DEFINE OR REQUIRE LOVE TO MARRY PEOPLE. IT IS NEVER A REQUIREMENT.

I've made that perfectly clear, it's a fact. Find me a couple current requirements for a Marriage License in the United States that defines love and how it must be fulfilled within a marriage contract.

Can civil marriages have love? YES, DUH. Do most of them occur because two people are in love? OBVIOUSLY, DUH. That isn't what I was arguing.

Quote:
Given your stated point of view, even if 2 people of the same gender are allowed to "marry"(get a civil union, what the fuck ever)...they will STILL be criminals because a> Sodomy is illegal, b> Oral sex is (in many places) illegal, AND, on top of that...any such "union" could be negated simply on the grounds that ANY marriage(that's right, including religious) can be "nullified" if the parties in question have not had sex. It would then be up to the couple to either admit to a criminal sex act, or have their union negated. In other words, they can choose prison, or back to being single. In the former, it would probably mean both.
Which state requires sex in marriage? Nothing, absolutely NOTHING I have said pertains to sex and marriage.

Quote:
Someone(not calling you out on this one) brought up the multi-marriage. We are not discussing that, no matter HOW many times someone tries to interject it. So let's leave it out, because it has no bearing on this. Unless you want to argue the possibility of multi-marriages being cross-sectioned to include 2 couples marrying each other, in a 4-way version....where each husband not only marries a second wife, but her husband as well.
Read the entire thread iggy, page 2, post #27. I have also stated that people against polygamy are exactly like people against homosexual marriage, are they not both discrimination and forcing a persons morals upon others?

Scuzzy

Old 09-06-2007, 04:00 AM   #171
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Thanks, that explained it all . My view on that is that many churches these days don't require love either.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:03 AM   #172
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Quote:
Wrong. Civil marriage is as much about love, honour and commitment as religious ones.
Yeah, I tried saying that about 4 times, but it doesn't register with him. As I said, he doesn't want to acknowledge what he's said. Instead he blames us for 'reading into it', not for what's taking what is blatently said.

I give up, this is a joke.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:05 AM   #173
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

If by now you havn't realized...

Old 09-06-2007, 04:07 AM   #174
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Correct me if I am wrong...doesn't Immigration and Naturalization require that love component? Not trying to weigh in on either side of this but it occurs to me that granting citizenship from marrying a citizen requires substantial evidence that the marriage is real....some evaluation of love shown at that level?

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2007, 04:16 AM   #175
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
I give up, this is a joke.
This thread is still causing eyes to bleed.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2007, 05:11 AM   #176
Marshmallow Noob
D&A Member

lock.
Marshmallow Noob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2007, 06:38 AM   #177
Jifcuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
Correct me if I am wrong...doesn't Immigration and Naturalization require that love component? Not trying to weigh in on either side of this but it occurs to me that granting citizenship from marrying a citizen requires substantial evidence that the marriage is real....some evaluation of love shown at that level?

I think this is true. I think but I'm not sure that in civil marriages you make vows to your partner and love is in there so I guess civil marriages do require love.
Jifcuits is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #178
there's nothing here
lol

Location: Halfway sprawled out of a cardboard box at the bottom of a flight of stairs.
So, it can be about love, or it doesn't have to be about love.

Meh.

If there is a love component required then it can be (if someone really intended to, for whatever reason.. (not that that is the point of the argument here, or is it?)) faked. I mean, who's cheated on a test before?

..not me, of course not.

For srsly, mans.

forums.fortress-forever.com - It's the place to argue!
there's nothing here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #179
halo

So Scuzzy's point is that marriages don't require love. It's not a prerequisite because it's impossible to measure. And? How is that relevant in any way?

Now what was it to deal with trolls? Anyone got some acid and fire?
halo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #180
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo
So Scuzzy's point is that marriages don't require love.
Ahhhh, not quite. Would a marriage (the bonding between two people) be better and more successful with an emotional connection? Obviously. Does the civil marriage (a piece of paper and contract) require it? Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo
It's not a prerequisite because it's impossible to measure. And?
DING DING DING - We have a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo
How is that relevant in any way?
It isn't in my opinion.

Scuzzy