Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 03-27-2006, 06:27 AM   #121
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Jiggles, man, you suck at quest-finding. Also, the quest with the crazy guy is called "Paranoia." And yes, it's boring as hell. You don't have to follow them all day, though. Follow them for like an hour, see where they go, and when you realize they don't actually do anything, just head to the church and rest until he's there.
Yeah, no kidding! I eventually figured that out, but man, what a freaking waste of time. The only thing I got out of it was the gold. I shoulda killed the guy for the 1000 gold, but, knowing that wacko, he wouldn't have paid anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
I still haven't done anything involved in the main quest, although I'm on my way to get it started now. Just having too much fun pillaging ruins and the like, and there are plenty of 'em on my way to Weynon Priory.
Hah, I've got totally crap items, but I do have a bunch of good spells. I was annoyed getting gang-banged, so I saved up and got the summon imp spell. Damn thing only lasts 20 seconds, but it deals a good bit of damage, and, more importantly, keeps guys off me.

I did the main quest mission where you infiltrate the Mystic Dawn temple. I got the bright idea to attack the head of the cult. DON'T!

I was getting totally owned, until I gave up trying the save the prisoner, and tracked down and killed the mofo holding all my items. Man I hate lightning spells. My 75% Dark Elf fire resistance rocks, but I wouldn't mind a bit of lightning resistance, since it's rather hard to dodge.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #122
o_vertical

Hey Jiggles lol, lemme tell ya what I did in that quest, the first person he asked me to follow I actually tried, when I noticed has was a moron (Hence the name of the quest "Paranoid guy" or whatever) after I went back to him, I told him she was not following him, then he asked me to follow the second person, I went to the inn and slept for 23 hours went back and told him the same thing lol, then did the same for the 3rd person he wanted me to check out, then he said he would take matters into his own hands, well at first I hit F5 and then killed him, which always resulted in me being caught (so I re-loaded before I killed him) and then ran and told the gaurd what he was planning to do, and the guard killed him, while I stayed and watched then I took his gold :P

Still a long drawn out quest though... but easier because I... "cheated" it.

What did you guys end up telling the moron? Was he actually right in your versions?
o_vertical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2006, 01:30 PM   #123
o_fresh

Hey why would my x1300 be a bottle neck? I mean i thought it was better than the x800, you know like a bigger number? What card should I get?
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2006, 02:03 PM   #124
o_lithium

Any of you guys found Nirnroots ? those are ... weird.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #125
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical
What did you guys end up telling the moron? Was he actually right in your versions?
No, he was a crazy bastard. I tried a bunch of different ways, but unless you actually go and kill the guy for him, the bastard ends up dead. (I'm not sure what happens if you do kill the guy for him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
Hey why would my x1300 be a bottle neck? I mean i thought it was better than the x800, you know like a bigger number? What card should I get?
Nah, it's a consumer part, so it's way worse than the x800. ATI's naming scheme is idiotic. To be fair, NVIDIA's isn't much better.

At the moment, I'd probably do this at the lower end, or this at the higher. Spending more or less is probably a mistake. I'd suggest going to a site like www.tomshardware.com or www.anandtech.com and read the video card reviews for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiuM
I've picked up a couple, but not enough to turn in for the quest yet.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #126
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiuM
What's really weird is that if you're an expert Alchemist, you'll see it has ONLY negative affects, and yet it becomes the ultimate dungeon delvers' potion. I've got, like, 7 of them now.

If you want a bothersome quest, had to "Weye" just west of the Imperial City, there's an old fisherman there that'll ask you to get some slaughterfish scales, since his leg is busted. They can only come from Lake Romare, though! So if you check your map and go to the bit labelled "Lake Romare," well... there are no slaughterfish there. The Romare Slaughterfish are north of that. In the unlabelled bit. And they only spawn a few at a time. And they're STRONG. But the reward is nice, so it's worth some trouble.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:08 PM   #127
o_pizzahut

Quote:
Think of it as generations... it's like this:

9... = generation 9
X... = generation 10
X1... = generation 11

low end: 9200, X300, X1300
mainstream : 9600, X600, X1600
high end: 9800, X800, X1800

ATI should have written it as X1-300, X1-600, X1-800 etc.

Last edited by o_pizzahut; 03-27-2006 at 07:16 PM.
o_pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2006, 10:25 PM   #128
o_yoshura

Do you think this setup will be able to play?
-Intel Celeron D 2.6ghz
-ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128mb
-768mb SDRAM

bloody value systems....
o_yoshura is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2006, 10:25 PM   #129
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Not well, but yeah. Low/Medium quality with short fades.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #130
o_vertical

NINROOT
yeah I've found quite alot of ninroots, but only because I started collecting them before the quest even began, I just started picking up plants from the get-go, to sell and or whatever else, so I've collected like 16 or so ninroots thus far, I had 8 origionally when I started the quest, and quickly nabbed 2 more from the location that the guy gave me so that was a fast quest.

ECTOPLASM
I tell you a bothersome quest, and if anyone can help me with it, I'd appreciate it, I have to stop my guild members from getting drunk and bothering the folks at one of the inns I cant remember the name of the quest something like "Drunkenness and blah" but anyway, the woman says she doesnt trust me enough and wants me to bring her 10 of Ectoplasm (I think it was 10... may have been 6) and she tells me where to find them, but when I go there I searched the whole forest and none of them are anywhere to be found, so I dunno where the hell to get them, she said in Blackwood (Bottom center of your map) So if any of you know where to get these, please let me know...
o_vertical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2006, 12:24 AM   #131
o_zencheetah

mmm

This game runs perfectly, and I "just" reformatted my computer, so I can't wait to try it now. I have a level 14 assassin.. Guildmaster of the theifs guild. Gonna go for dark brotherhood now.

Mmm, fun fun roleplaying goodness.
o_zencheetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2006, 12:58 AM   #132
o_lithium

The Dark Brotherhod kicks ass.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2006, 01:12 AM   #133
o_yoshura

Hey guys, once i get the game, im going to be making a little plugin that adds in a player's house, and inside will be your own private stash chests, tables, bookshelfs and all that junk.

Just a place to stash your phat lewts and relax.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:00 AM   #134
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I'm fairly sure you can buy your own house, eventually.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:03 AM   #135
o_yoshura

really? well then that makes things easier!

Old 03-28-2006, 03:04 AM   #136
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Note: Get rid of your bound weapons before getting on horseback. The game will try to unequip the items, fail, and (at least in my game) crash after you try and use the now "perma-bound" weapon.

Heh, that's the second "horseback" bug I found. I think I like the first one better

Old 03-28-2006, 05:18 AM   #137
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

There's a house for sale in every town, yes.

Ectoplasm comes from ghosts, Vertical. Get killin'.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:53 AM   #138
o_fresh

Thanks for the advice Jiggles, would i be wise to stick with my current card, or would something like this be dramatically better for shit like hl2 and oblivion
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #139
o_yoshura

argh im still waiting!

Just another day or two...

Old 03-28-2006, 03:46 PM   #140
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Jiggles, would i be wise to stick with my current card, or would something like this be dramatically better for shit like hl2 and oblivion
That card's about $252, I think. I would get the GeForce 7600 GT over the Radeon X850XT because:
  1. Generally cheaper ($209 vs ~$250)
  2. Similar performance (The closest comparison I could find was this. Note that it has an OC version of the 7600GT, but the overclock is fairly minimal)
  3. The 7600GT supports SM 3.0: Which includes parallax mapping, and, more importantly, the HDR implementation Oblivion uses. the X850XT does not, so it cannot enable HDR in Oblivion
Either card would help a lot in Oblivion, but I'd go with the 7600GT for the reasons above.

Edit: Oh, and the card you linked to was AGP, not PCI-Express (I'm assuming your board supports PCI-Express, not AGP)

If you want to buy from that site, I would go for this instead. It's even slightly overclocked.

Last edited by Jiggles; 03-28-2006 at 05:11 PM.