Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #101
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Come on, spill it Merv. Who'd make a shitty tester?
i'll give you a clue, but you're gonna have to guess it first time, okay?

he's a texan.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #102
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Sir Tiger. I win.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #103
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
thats a MENSAFORIKAL QUESTIONZ

Old 04-04-2007, 05:31 AM   #104
Nezumi
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: Soldier, O
Gametype: Doubble Mode
Affiliations: Cassiotone Nation
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojo
is there a speedometer in the game? i know Natural Selection (HL1 mod) had it, and it showed your max ground/air speed and also how much over the 170% cap you went
Sidd42 and I made a speedometer texture using material proxies. It just showed your velocity in, I think, meters per second.

You can do all sorts of crazy crap in source with material proxies. I think with LUA you might be able to put something like that on a players HUD in particular maps. Not positive though.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #105
nodnarb

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Sidd42 and I made a speedometer texture using material proxies. It just showed your velocity in, I think, meters per second.

You can do all sorts of crazy crap in source with material proxies. I think with LUA you might be able to put something like that on a players HUD in particular maps. Not positive though.
Imperial measurements are -5,000,000 times better though...
nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #106
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
I think I need some damned PWs so I play.

/me knocks Phish's and Schtoofa's heads together.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #107
groovyf
In the clouds

I personally think that if you're down to 6 out of a starting 20 or so testers at the end of a 2nd map then you certainly need more testers. If some get bored quickly or can't play for the extended time required, then the more beta testers the merrier. You could have them queuing up ready to join a new round when numbers drop so you always have a full server.
groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #108
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyf
I personally think that if you're down to 6 out of a starting 20 or so testers at the end of a 2nd map then you certainly need more testers. If some get bored quickly or can't play for the extended time required, then the more beta testers the merrier. You could have them queuing up ready to join a new round when numbers drop so you always have a full server.
Way ahead of you groovy.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #109
snakeater
Hopeless Forceware adict

I know I'd give good money to be a beta tester
snakeater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 01:11 AM   #110
Nezumi
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: Soldier, O
Gametype: Doubble Mode
Affiliations: Cassiotone Nation
Having finally played FF, I can say with certainty: This game is the shit. I mean, damn.

And it's WAY more polished than I thought it'd be. It's not done yet, but from what I can tell the gameplay is all there.

The doublejumping thing off ramps is the greatest thing ever too.

edit:
Quote:
I think with LUA you might be able to put something like that on a players HUD in particular maps. Not positive though.
Yea, it's possible, and pretty simple in fact.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:40 AM   #111
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Having finally played FF, I can say with certainty: This game is the shit. I mean, damn.

And it's WAY more polished than I thought it'd be. It's not done yet, but from what I can tell the gameplay is all there.

The doublejumping thing off ramps is the greatest thing ever too.

edit: Yea, it's possible, and pretty simple in fact.
Thanks for the encouraging word. Having some new insight helps with being patient.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #112
Agret

Send a message via ICQ to Agret Send a message via AIM to Agret Send a message via MSN to Agret Send a message via Yahoo to Agret Send a message via Skype™ to Agret
Circuitous what are your thoughts on the beta?
Agret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #113
Torn
Wootski

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jesse
We have more than enough to do that, and have for awhile, but no one is ever around. Personally, I'd like it if enough people were always around so that there's always people playin' in the beta servers, but it's hard enough keeping people around for the actual playtests. It's like a lot of the beta testers, they uhh... they were fine with coming on as a beta tester, became a beta tester, and that was pretty much the end of their involvement. They got added to the beta, anddddd they fucking vanished.
Yeah I was beta testing for Q4F and I only saw a handful of the players actually doing something. I think the reality is that alot of them just wanted a sneak peak at what was going on and arent really committed to helping with the development in a semi-active role.

I think the best way to do it is to get people to fill out a timetable of free time in the week (to get everyone together at one time - also need to take into consideration the timezones), what they do (work/study..are these people going to be free when they join?), how often there on their computer etc. (try gauge their level of interest in helping out). And mabye write something about how much they love FF and why they should be picked :P
Torn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #114
Agret

Send a message via ICQ to Agret Send a message via AIM to Agret Send a message via MSN to Agret Send a message via Yahoo to Agret Send a message via Skype™ to Agret
Obviously I loved them enough to work out the url to their forums and post whore. I'm sure they can recognise my valiant efforts.
Agret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #115
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Well I can tell you guys right now... the game is playable. Being playable and being fun are two different things.

Mostly, things seem to be in bug squashing... problem is there are a buttload of bugs and only two prgmzrz on it. FF could REALLY, REALLY use another fucking programmer to help out. Seriously. Any of you guys programmers? Any of you KNOW one? That will help ff will out faster because the bugs are a LOT of what is holding back release IMO. The other portion of it is just like... programming legwork. Like the hint system, a nice chunk of the work is actually WRITING out the hints. Even someone with basic programming skills in Source SDK and shit could probably do the programmer's equivalent of data entry. -.-

I do not fuckin' know, there is something in these damn forums somewhere about the programmer job. Find it!

I have been a beta tester 2 days and I have like 6 hours of playtime in and I have already discovered 3 bugs (2, since 1 was technically a duplicate). Since I am on this side of the iron curtain o' development, I can now comfortably say that it will be worth the wait however long it is. You do not want to play the game as it is now. It will be fun, hells yeah. Then someone will do some shit that will somehow crash the server for a reason that YOU have to figure out (and we do). We have to fix that shit and similar shit.

'cause remember, the FF Devs are not Ubisoft; they fix major bugs before release. (|:

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #116
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
The new batch of us testers seems to all be pleased with how nicely the game runs. I've heard a few comments of "I can't believe how smooth it runs". At first, the game just felt "off". Then after just a little playing, it began to feel natural. Frame rates are usually good for maps that have been "cleaned up" (whatever the hell that involves). Naturally, massive spam is still massive spam and can affect things.

The new railgun and revamped pyro just kick ass. Those are two things I keep going back to. Actually, I think pyro may be the new favorite class. Engineer (my clan class) is great. I have no complaints about the feel or abilities of the class. HW requires a little more attention to keep from overheating the AC but he will still mow you down. Playing mulch with random player classes has been a blast and a good way to cycle through the classes.

Most config scripting still works. However, there are some new commands and some old ones are gone. We should have a list of those changes compiled so the vets can tweak their configs and be ready to go. I use 9 player configs, settings.cfg, autoexec.cfg, binds.cfg and classdefault.cfg. All 13 work fine after a few command changes.

Last edited by 4est; 04-09-2007 at 04:14 PM.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #117
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
agreed with all of the other testers, the game is amazing. like, brilliant, the most fun ive had playing a game like almost ever. ive actually blown off castlevania for 3 straight days so i could be on ff. i think since friday i have logged maybe 15 or 20 hours (possibly more, this has become my life).

however, as fun as it is now, i agree with the general consensus: it needs bug reporting and squashing. we testers have been working hard to recreate and report any bugs we see, and the devs are working hard to squash them. fear not; progress is being made!
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 10:17 PM   #118
Bomber
Skillet

I use to program C++ and do some hex program work for cellphone tweaks, the C++ was for writing programs and sounds, not sure if this would help with FF, I would love to help though.
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 06:55 AM   #119
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber
I use to program C++ and do some hex program work for cellphone tweaks, the C++ was for writing programs and sounds, not sure if this would help with FF, I would love to help though.
PM Dospac, PHISH, Mulchman, etc.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 11:13 AM   #120
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
I'll further agree with everyone.

The game is in those final stages before release. The entire backbone of the game is there. Right now it's stuff like cleaning up maps, fixing bugs and stuff like the hint system. There's still a couple models missing and a couple textures but it's remarkably playable. Anytime we want to play a real game, real OvD, some hardcore Dustbowl, it's completely possible and ridiculous amounts of fun. The classes are still being tweaked so they aren't over/under powerful but most of that is sorted out.

Don't know what else to say really. I now know what the devs must have felt, not really being able to tell you a bunch of stuff, because really there isn't a whole ton to say. The game is almost fully functional, and the only stuff that remains is sitting down and playing it to shit to find all problems with it. I believe this is the most tedious part of the development, when you're teetering on the edge of release, but you know you gotta fix those last bunch of bugs so the release is as perfect as it can be.

Keep waiting! It's soooo worth it!