Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 10-10-2006, 03:32 AM   #101
o_uber

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
B. Use best researchers to develope a means of Faster Than Light travel, and explore the galaxy. (or even the universe! That would be even more awsome!)
Eh, we are using research to find new discoveries everyday, and even specifically in the field of astronomy and a better understanding of our galaxy / universe. As for light travel, eh... that's a little doubtful. Even if the minds working on sophisticated weaponry move on to more "peaceful" fields, I doubt that will happen any time soon. (In addition, even if light travel was achievable, you'd have to be able to live for a very long time, as our universe spans billions of light years across!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizeableSSonic
I read in our history class that about 98% of Americans know the five members of the Simpson family, but about 1 or 2% know the rights given to us by the Second Amendment.
Oh boy, file a motion to have your history teacher fired. 98% of Americans know all the Simpsons? What? Is this seriously what you're learning in your history class? No wonder the "moronic generation" you speak of is getting dumber. Do you even know what rights you are entitled to udner the Second Amendment? Probably not with all the false statistics your history class is teaching you. Second, The Simpsons are considered popular culture. While important to understand the rights given to you, you just normally don't see it show up very much in the leisure activites most Americans partake in. Nevertheless, I agree it's idiotic to not know your rights, and I agree our future generations growing up today are a lot less knowledgeable on fundamentals.

Last edited by o_uber; 10-10-2006 at 03:42 AM.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 03:42 AM   #102
o_backstaber

I think I had to learn much about the my rights by myself through research. The only time I ever heard about anything remotely similar to my rights were in my 8th grade Social Studies class (They should just call it history, Christ!) Then, when it came to it, they only talked about the bill of rights, and then the first amendment. All the rest were kinda, left out ...

In other news ....

Quote:
GERTZ: U.S. doubts Korean test was nuclear; Readings fall short of atomic explosion... MORE...

U.S. intelligence agencies say, based on preliminary indications, that North Korea did not produce its first nuclear blast yesterday, WASHINGTON TIMES star reporter Bill Gertz is set to report in Tuesday editions.

U.S. officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that seismic readings show that the conventional high explosives used to create a chain reaction in a plutonium-based device went off, but that the blast's readings were shy of a typical nuclear detonation.

The underground explosion, which Pyongyang dubbed a historic nuclear test, is thought to have been the equivalent of several hundred tons of TNT, far short of the several thousand tons of TNT, or kilotons, that are signs of a nuclear blast, the official said. Developing...
From the top of the Drudge Report page.
o_backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 04:07 AM   #103
o_the russian

and the policy of Ignorance isnt going to fix things either... face it, US kids are in big ass trouble. We are becoming mindless consumers. IMHO, it is this unbridaled capitalism with a dogma to generate profits at all costs that will be our downfall. There needs to be a point where the govt has to step in and say that "for the good of our people, healthcare has been nationalised, school has been nationalised, all privilages of organized religion have been removed, and housing will be provided to all who need it."

Followed by, "we as a people, feel it is for the best of our nation that unnecessary advertisement is curbed and ethics are injected... any hint of mis-information regarding labeling or health effects will be reflect by outright bans and not mediocre sanctions debatable by lawyers." ... "there will be no drug advertising as your doctor is not a dealer and knows what you need, where an overpriced generic pill is not valued at 5x the cost because it has a fancy new box and logo and food coloring, there shall not be an excess of unhealthy food advertisements teaching our generation to consume everything without thinking."

oh fucking god, I can go on for pages on how we could re-write laws to curb the corporate wrod from feeding on us and turning us into what I call consumer-cattle. Where everything we do, buy, eat, drink, watch, need or desire is handled by our handlers, and to hell with the consequences on the consumer, and if the consumer doesnt die from this affliction, we'll make some more money off that too.

Our kids intelligence is dropping at an insane rate, I think we're not even in the top-10 countries anymore as far as how intelligent our kids are and how much they are taught by an average age. And our History is already tained with rose-colored glasses and ommitance of plenty of facts... now theyre trying to fucking destroy science with "intelligent design". The reason your kids dont want to learn is because 84% of the country believes in a diety, and how much of that percentage tells their kids this shit from the time theyre born... destroying their natural curiosity and search for knowledge. Religion has been directly linked to lower intelligence across the board in countless tudies, in every facet of human society, and yet we dont learn... to give you a contrast, less than 10% of Japan believe in any diety what-so-ever.
o_the russian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 04:10 AM   #104
o_backstaber

Russian, I didn't bother reading halfway into your post. Reason being is that it is so far off-topic I won't touch it any longer ....
o_backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 04:24 AM   #105
o_uber

Oh boy, Russian, the perfect America you want to live in isn't even America. Well, it's more like America without the U.S. Constitution and its Amendaments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Russian
Our kids intelligence is dropping at an insane rate, I think we're not even in the top-10 countries anymore as far as how intelligent our kids are and how much they are taught by an average age. And our History is already tained with rose-colored glasses and ommitance of plenty of facts... now theyre trying to fucking destroy science with "intelligent design". The reason your kids dont want to learn is because 84% of the country believes in a diety, and how much of that percentage tells their kids this shit from the time theyre born... destroying their natural curiosity and search for knowledge. Religion has been directly linked to lower intelligence across the board in countless tudies, in every facet of human society, and yet we dont learn... to give you a contrast, less than 10% of Japan believe in any diety what-so-ever.
What? Are you serious? Please, please, show me these "countless" studies. This coming from a guy who can only spell half his words correctly. Seriously? Religion makes you ignorant? Tell that to founding fathers of the country in which you live! Try telling that to Einstein!

Edit: Here's an article that's quiet a bit in contrast to your idea of how children should just be used as tools and agents of abuse to feed knowledge into them: http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/paren....ap/index.html

Last edited by o_uber; 10-10-2006 at 04:44 AM.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #106
o_the russian

sure, heres a video that refferences a dozen or so studies conducted by high end schools, Govt, and professionals... and it showcases the individual experiences of some of the world's most intelligent people in regards to religion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I5V9JPzMxY

and that article is not in contrast at all... it suggest we leave the kids play time to explore theyre own curiosity instead of planting them infront of TVs or forcing them into activities that we believe will make them elitist, how is that in contrast? ... I stated to do the same thing, except I added to allso remove organized religion.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #107
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Gotta love stereotypes and overly broad generalizations. Every generation has it's dullards and those that worship at the altar of pop culture. To apply that to everyone is pure stupidity and ranks you among those masses.

FWIW, not all parents "plant" their kids in front of a TV. Again...way to go.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #108
o_the russian

Innoc... once again, you leave me scratching my head... please read *his* article before you read *my* responce to it. Thank you. Theres my generalisation of the day... oddly, not containing a generalisation.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #109
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Russian
Innoc... once again, you leave me scratching my head... please read *his* article before you read *my* responce to it. Thank you. Theres my generalisation of the day... oddly, not containing a generalisation.
No, I'm not going to read another one of your BS articles. The fact is you have spewed another BS overly broad generalization that simply cannot be applied universally and is not true.

So, yeah, like Backstaber posted, you're so far off topic ... have fun.

As far as NK goes it would not surprise me that the test was conventional. Honestly, KJI's antics remind me a bit of what we saw from Hussein before DS2. It's almost like he's swaggering over things he really does not have. Enough smoke and mirrors to leave people guessing.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:04 PM   #110
o_golfisfun

so what is going to happen with this? US wont talk to them? China is scared and who knows what SK or japan is thinkin
o_golfisfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #111
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

The US has been trying to talk to them for many many years and we've not been alone in this. It's been a long road. Honestly, I don't think that there's anything about NK that causes anything remotely close to fear for China. I believe that NK is more like China's little sock puppet keeping the world semi-occupied so that China quietly continues to build steam. What that steam is going to be used for remains to be seen and is fodder for endless speculation.

As far as being afraid of NK goes SK and Japan are far more likely to be the subject of their weapons which is helping build support for those in Japan that would see it build an offensive military force again.

We'll see in coming days what will or will not be done about this. If the UN has anything to do with it I am getting a mental image of dogs and ponies at a show.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #112
o_golfisfun

wait....japan only has a Def army right?
o_golfisfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #113
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Correct. Presently, it's defensive only but there's been discussion within Japan for some time now about making changes to their Constitution to allow the realignment and build up of forces that could be used for Offensive action.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #114
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
We've seen what the Japs can do if they put their minds to it, I wonder if the Koreans remember.

I think you're right about the China issue Innoc, they seem far too eager to punish their little puppet after years of balking on the issue of sanctions and other restrictions.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 04:35 PM   #115
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Thinking of Japan with an offensive military force the first thing I thought of was Mechs...is that a bad thing?

Old 10-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #116
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
laff

honda go space age on yo' ass, with mechs and instagib laser rifles!

one better than the latest citroen advert

Old 10-10-2006, 10:54 PM   #117
o_etzell

...I'm gonna go watch Dr. Strangelove. Anyone wanna join me?
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #118
o_dancingfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldy
Oh man, I hope the USA has put all their silos on anti air!
That was beautiful.

As for the NK nuke thing....they're a bunch of pussies. Stupid pussies. If they launched any number of nukes(they obviously don't have the capacity to launch too many)they would be shot down so quick that NK would not geographically exist anymore before the nukes fell from the sky.
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 11:14 PM   #119
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Testimony of a NK defector.

Who knows how true any of this is remains open to question. I had to alugh about the Operation Team Spirit stuff. I was there in 89. He's a paranoid little fruitbag for sure with delusions of adequacy.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 AM   #120
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
his daddy ruled in '89.

guess who the guy with the crazy hairdoo is