o_hired-gun

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Mmm Cats,i like that place...

Old 03-04-2006, 10:58 PM   #102
o_travis dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direhit
As for the "look" of default between phpBB and vBulletin, congrats you pointed out the one thing phpBB has over vBulletin, the default theme looks nicer, whoop de do. This is a temporary situation, and I really fail to see the point in wasting time in adding a new theme that isn't going to be the permanent one.
Hold on, are you implying that you wish there be only an 'official' FortressForever theme, and a default theme (this one)? If so, I feel the need to point out that I did not actually like the FF forum theme that was made for phpBB, which is why I had been using the default phpBB theme the moment I joined this forum (and a wonderful default theme phpBB has, might I add). I certainly would not like to have to choose between either the FF theme, or even worse, this one. So regardless of whether I may or may not agree with what SoBe Green had to say, I do think a phpBB-ish theme should be considered, as both an intermediate solution for the current (I think we can agree on) dreadful theme, and a long-term solution for those who did not like the FF theme.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:11 PM   #103
Direhit
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Dane
Hold on, are you implying that you wish there be only an 'official' FortressForever theme, and a default theme (this one)? If so, I feel the need to point out that I did not actually like the FF forum theme that was made for phpBB, which is why I had been using the default phpBB theme the moment I joined this forum (and a wonderful default theme phpBB has, might I add). I certainly would not like to have to choose between either the FF theme, or even worse, this one. So regardless of whether I may or may not agree with what SoBe Green had to say, I do think a phpBB-ish theme should be considered, as both an intermediate solution for the current (I think we can agree on) dreadful theme, and a long-term solution for those who did not like the FF theme.
No, I'm not implying that, but obviously the vast majority of the people who visit the forums are going to use the FF theme that was used on the phpBB forums. With that being said, get the "official" FF theme up, then you can worry about secondary themes.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #104
o_sobe green

Quote:
Then I guess you weren't looking very hard, because as I stated before, there are hundreds of quality vBulletin sites out there, not to mention the official vBulletin website itself. It's rather funny, because judging by your previous posts, the point of this thread was for you to complain and whine about the change over (maybe not, but at least that's how it came out). To be frank, many of your posts came across as nothing more then an immature person complaining. If that's not how it was intended then perhaps you should try wording yourself differently, because comments like "But you run the Catacombs and donated vB to the devs. So I guess I'm just not important or less of a person. Sure." do nothing more than to show others your immaturity.
I'm not here to prove myself mature or otherwise. I post just how I always do. I have people here that like me and people here that do not. It is a known fact I don't pay much attention to what people think of me. I could really care less. Yes this topic was for me to complain. And the result? A dev saying they would look into adding another theme if we found a better one. I accomplished that much, I'm not so sure I'd call it "immature".

For the last time. If you think there is such a great following/community with vB show us a theme worthy to be here. If not, this conversation is really going nowhere. To be honest the only vibe I get from you is that you don't care about these boards. You don't post here so why should you? I do care about these boards. This place is probably my #1 most visted forum.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #105
o_travis dane

Quote:
but obviously the vast majority of the people who visit the forums are going to use the FF theme that was used on the phpBB forums.
That remains to be seen.

Quote:
With that being said, get the "official" FF theme up, then you can worry about secondary themes.
The nuance here being that there is a substantial difference between creating a brand new custom theme, and taking an already established theme and integrating it in the forum, in terms of time required to do so. I believe the small amount of work it would take to use a readily available theme is heavily outweighed by the improvement it will cause on the browsing experience of the people that visit this forum on a regular basis.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:43 AM   #106
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
So, uh, anybody found any nice themes yet? I could go for one while we wait.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:49 AM   #107
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Yeah, use all the arguing efforts to instead find a better temp theme. I'm not a huge fan of this one, but I don't think it's bad enough to post over and over about.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:45 AM   #108
o_alligator

vB > phpBB
enough said, kthx

Old 03-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #109
o_yoshura

Quote:
In the long run switching over to vBulletin just makes much more sense, as it does to do it right now, before FF is released.
Im telling you all FF is coming soon!

Old 03-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #110
Direhit
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
I'm not here to prove myself mature or otherwise. I post just how I always do. I have people here that like me and people here that do not. It is a known fact I don't pay much attention to what people think of me. I could really care less. Yes this topic was for me to complain. And the result? A dev saying they would look into adding another theme if we found a better one. I accomplished that much, I'm not so sure I'd call it "immature".

For the last time. If you think there is such a great following/community with vB show us a theme worthy to be here. If not, this conversation is really going nowhere. To be honest the only vibe I get from you is that you don't care about these boards. You don't post here so why should you? I do care about these boards. This place is probably my #1 most visted forum.
Well, if you want to come across as an immature whinner, then that's your perogative.

I really fail to see how you could get the vibe that I don't care about these forums. I don't post here because I don't post much at all, on these forums or any forums for that matter, though I regularly visit. Sorry I don't share your hatred for the default vB skin, but after all, it's the content of the forums, not the look that make up the worth of the forum itself.

As for your lack of themes, you must really not be looking. Not even using google, just going to the vB website you can find many free (for anyone with a license which the FF team obviously has now) themes.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/portal.php

As for your results, your complaining didn't do anything more then what a simple PM or email could have done.

Last edited by Direhit; 03-05-2006 at 08:21 PM.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #111
Direhit
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshura
Im telling you all FF is coming soon!
Indeed, but what I meant was that it makes sense to do this change over before the game is released so that all the bugs can be ironed out.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #112
o_mescalito

The default theme really is gay but this argument is stupid.
Can we just get a temporary theme like this one http://www.vbulletin-style.com/index.php?styleid=60
or anything else really, till FriedBunneh makes an FF-ish one?

Old 03-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #113
o_yoshura

Oh and http://www.forumtemplates.com/vbulletin/

Future vision 3 and ocean zero look spiffy, use those for now

Old 03-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #114
o_mescalito

http://www.forumtemplates.com/template/41.html c'mmon 17$ only

Old 03-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #115
o_kbomb

I know I am the only person that will say this - but I really don't think this default theme is bad at all. Whats the big problem? The text showing user names is too big? I think it looks fine, as a matter of fact I never look at who posts comments usually - just the actual discussion text. I know find myself actually noticing who posted what comments since the text is larger/more prominant.

Edit: i think this theme looks nice color wise, and its free: http://www.forumtemplates.com/template/48.html

Old 03-05-2006, 08:46 PM   #116
o_mescalito

nooooooooo what were you thinking? soft blue.. jesus man
arrr think "TFC" next time

EDIT: how's this one? http://www.forumtemplates.com/template/69.html
ruuuusty :P

Last edited by o_mescalito; 03-05-2006 at 09:01 PM.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #117
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I think this one is pretty decent. Same icons, but a much less offensive color.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #118
o_kbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mescalito
nooooooooo what were you thinking? soft blue.. jesus man
arrr think "TFC" next time

EDIT: how's this one? http://www.forumtemplates.com/template/69.html
ruuuusty :P
lol, ok I vote for the rusty one too then.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #119
o_frenchtoast

Quote:
Sorry I don't share your hatred for the default vB skin, but after all, it's the content of the forums, not the look that make up the worth of the forum itself.
Bullshit. When the theme is so poorly done that it's a bitch to navigate, people will stop coming.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:10 PM   #120
o_bokko

How exactly is it a bitch to navigate? Comparing the two themes I see no significant differences other than different colour schemes... And a couple of neat functions not available in phpbb.

Closed Thread