Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #81
o_rebo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
no chopping wont be implemented. This is because the elastic cap allows for movement

Last edited by o_rebo; 04-27-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #82
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage
That's relative as all the skill ends up in dming. Not bad, but nothing special :P
This isn't even the case in tfc w/ the harsh bhop cap...certainly won't be the case w/ a sort of "elastic cap". Some players are all about movement and concing in their style as medic, some are the ground and pound type...and one class is 100% movement (scout). Good players mix in both in the appropriate situations.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:06 PM   #83
o_ohcanep

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebo
no chopping wont be implemented. This is because the elastic cap allows for movement
So in other words, when you land after concin' and continue to bhop, you won't be slowed down to the limit the moment you touch the ground but say, after two or three jumps? The current stone-walling after a concajumpa isn't that nice.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #84
o_ghost

Quote:
Do you mean there won't be a way to instantly hold speed bigger than the cap you gained by some external boosts? awww. I see no point in capping speed only gainable (with exception of concs) by sacrificing hitpoints and armor (you can't accellerate by bhop more than the cap, your ass might need some grens for more speed )
Oh, well, I can't test the elastic cap, too, so i have no voice until I can test it :P
The cap there is needed cause it totally throws class balance out the window. Why play scout if you can maintain a speed much greater than a scout as a medic...or even a soldier. The classes move at different speeds for a reason. Not capping the speed theoretically means that all classes has the potential to move at the same speed. This was what happened in TFC before the cap and the reason for its inclusion.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:23 PM   #85
o_biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
Hmmm, I didn't really get into league play in QWTF so I'm not sure what maps they usually run. Maybe someone with more experience there could help out.
The maps we played most were h4rdcore, shoop, 32smooth, 2fort5r, excel, tf2k, canalzon, bam4, blitzkrieg2, well6 (though not so much near the end), and to a lesser extent impact1, mbasesr, sewer1, genders2, dissect, aztec, spaz4, 2night2, and in smaller matches insanity2, xpress3, and egypt. So yeah, it's pretty hard to compare based on the map.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #86
o_dammage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
The cap there is needed cause it totally throws class balance out the window. Why play scout if you can maintain a speed much greater than a scout as a medic...or even a soldier. The classes move at different speeds for a reason. Not capping the speed theoretically means that all classes has the potential to move at the same speed. This was what happened in TFC before the cap and the reason for its inclusion.
I'll just quote myself (read the PS after the quote)

Quote:
Aaaah, just forget it, do it linear and uncapped <3

I just meant an example where the cap is obvious and annoying, you could give the impulse to the trickjumps, too.

All in all, instead of class-based speed cap the speed development should rather look like a logarithm curve so that while moving at "class maximum speeds" you still can get faster, but not as much as where the function begins.

This picture illustrates the idea:

Green or red curve the development of speed due to trickjumping etc, the blue curve - impact of an external booster on this class depending on speed and the result of this (blue) function is added to the red/green one as soon as you get an external boost.

The cap of the speed would then be then a limes (limit) of the red function from where on you can still accellerate, but it provides you only few ups more speed and you still can accellerate above that cap with explosives and so on whereby their impact of your maximum speed is depending on your old speed value.

Dunno, maybe I forgot how the TFC cap was, but I remember it just pushing you down as soon as you go above some magic value what was just annoying.
___
PS: ignore the coordinates, just look at the form of the curves. This way to get over the bhop cap you have to pay a price growing exponentionally with your speed. What rather non-intrusively caps your speed by making you useless in dm with super speeds.

PPS: As I said, I have no right for criticizm on the current cap implementation as I could not touch it So I dont criticize the current implementation, I just show an alternative which might work even more smoothly.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:25 PM   #87
o_someoldguy

When I said to take it off line, I meant it.

Last edited by o_someoldguy; 04-27-2006 at 08:30 PM.

Closed Thread