Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 11-18-2006, 08:02 PM   #61
o_tyrus

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Most likely this kid was in the library doing his homework. Why else does a student go to the library? He probably has been there a thousand times and on this particular day, he forgot his ID. I personally, never have my student ID on me.

While he is doing his homework, he randomly gets checked and probably thinks something to the effect "I've been here a thousand times without it, why are you checking me now?" And then denies to leave. Then comes the cops.

Of course he would over react. He wasn't doing ANYTHING wrong. He was probably doing the criminal act of studying. For fucks sake, this is a kid in a library. He wasn't stealing money or beating up kids for their lunch money.

I hope one day, one of you get caught without something and get tazed for it.
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #62
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

The difference, for those of you who can't seem to grasp this concept, is that we won't get tazed. Why? Because we cooperate with the police and don't act like a disrespectful rebellious jackass.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2006, 08:06 PM   #63
o_tyrus

He probably felt like he was being targeted for his race. Plus, if the librarian felt it was necessary to involve the police over such a trivial matter, even I'd get a little huffy puffy.
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #64
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
some of you guys see it as the norm to taze people who dont cooperate? if that happened over here, people would be in serious shit for even threatening it.

tazers shouldn't be used that readily, just because they're non lethal. they should only be used when physical restraint is not possible. in that case, it was quite easily possible.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #65
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Who knows? I wonder how well known this policy requiring ID to be in the library after a certain was known to the student body.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:28 PM   #66
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

my college is really relaxed, and runs a relatively open policy. visitors just have to sign in first, and pick up a visitor's ID.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:42 PM   #67
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Mine requires an ID on-hand at all times, but I don't think they enforce it. I never wear mine, although I keep it in my backpack.

Stupid question, then. Okay, he forgets his ID this once. So... whattaya do? You tell 'em. Leave, go get it, return. Problem solved. You don't call them pigs. You don't scream and fuss and pretend you're being attacked outright. That's just a bad idea.

And if you're on the sidelines, for the love of crap don't be asking them for stuff when they're busy. They're, y'know, fuckin' busy.

ANYWAY from what I can see the cops maybe over-did it on the tazing ('cuz seriously after four who would want to get up?) but the initial action seemed right considering what the guy did, but that's only within the context of this video. I'm not an investigator, and this is all the information I have, so that's where I stand. If it turns out the cops were total dicks and attacked the kid and tazed him for their own sick pleasure or something, I reserve the right to go "Well shit okay they're total dicks" and ignore everything said prior to that.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:55 PM   #68
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Don't mind the discussion, but keep the personal attacks out of it. Y'all've been warned, so don't be surprised by a vacation if all y'all can't behave. Y'all.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2006, 10:38 PM   #69
o_broodingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
Brooding I think you have to take into consideration that a situation like this is one where police have to establish control and quickly. I would suggest to you that Police have fairly well-defined rules of engagement. I cannot speak specifically to this University but the Police Rules of engagement for each municipality has developed over the years. In our lawsuit happy culture a Police Department won't survive long with maverick police officers running fast and loose.

The review of what happened by the Police Department is pending and if the officers violated protocol I am sure it will be made publicly known.
Establishing control by physical force isn't necessarily an immediate solution to a situation like this. A much more mature and able person could've talked him down and he would've went peacefully.

I concede that the police's rules of engagement has gotten better, but those that interpret them haven't. I'm attacking more the individual policeman's choice of conduct more than the rules of engagement. I apologize that I haven't prefaced that immediately. I've seen good cops diffuse this kind of situation quickly by talking the "perp" down instead of grabbing them. Or touching them. Talking in a calm, and collect manner instead of just grabbing a person is a much better solution. You as a father know this. I'm sure if the police just talked it out a few more minutes in a calm manner this would've gone far differently. Can't stop the past though.
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2006, 11:06 PM   #70
o_frenchtoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
The difference, for those of you who can't seem to grasp this concept, is that we won't get tazed. Why? Because we cooperate with the police and don't act like a disrespectful rebellious jackass.
I think your outlook would change if you were muslim. And don't get all peachy on me, racial profiling happens all the time.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2006, 01:44 AM   #71
o_[cjff]vultureman

More and more I read into this, I don't think they'd choose to do racial profiling in such a public area :/

It usually happens down deserted streets with no witnesses...
o_[cjff]vultureman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2006, 01:48 AM   #72
o_icarus

I'm pretty much in agreement with Circuitous.

From the video the Bloke seemed to be a twatend to me. I'd agree that 3 or 4 tazerings is completely over the top but he deserved 1 for his behaviour to begin with in my view . He was frequently told to leave but refused and became abusive to the Police instead.

I've forgotten ID before , been refused entry and had to go home for the required paperwork. Funnily enough thats what I did ,without feeling the need to act like a prick and insult people/armed lawmen.
o_icarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2006, 01:56 AM   #73
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
I think your outlook would change if you were muslim. And don't get all peachy on me, racial profiling happens all the time.
No it wouldn't. Being a jackass is not exclusive to race, religion or sex. They are all over the place. People with a large piece of timber lodged in their rectum who give other people a hard time for just doing their jobs.

Just as there are jackasses all over the place there are also reasonable and nice people who are respectful to others and, especially, those who serve by carrying a badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broodingdude
Establishing control by physical force isn't necessarily an immediate solution to a situation like this. A much more mature and able person could've talked him down and he would've went peacefully.

I concede that the police's rules of engagement has gotten better, but those that interpret them haven't. I'm attacking more the individual policeman's choice of conduct more than the rules of engagement. I apologize that I haven't prefaced that immediately. I've seen good cops diffuse this kind of situation quickly by talking the "perp" down instead of grabbing them. Or touching them. Talking in a calm, and collect manner instead of just grabbing a person is a much better solution. You as a father know this. I'm sure if the police just talked it out a few more minutes in a calm manner this would've gone far differently. Can't stop the past though.
This gets into the issue of how long do you try verbal? This punk had been asked repeatedly (by some written accounts) to leave and had refused. Apparently there was some sort of officer in the library who he also refused. It took the Police to remove him and, at that point, things escalated due, entirely, to the way the punk behaved. Ultimately it's going to be the management of that Police Department that decides whether they stepped over the line. You think they did and others think they did not.

Last edited by o_|404|innoc-tpf-; 11-19-2006 at 02:09 AM.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:04 AM   #74
o_backstaber

FUCK! I hate when I miss debates .....
o_backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2006, 03:04 AM   #75
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

was there ANY reasonable attempt at physically moving this guy out? i mean, bouncers at clubs dont have tazers, but they manage just fine...

Old 11-19-2006, 07:19 PM   #76
o_uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervaka
.............criminal............................. ..........
What else do you call someone who breaks a law(s)? Besides, I talking in general.

P.S. I don't think bouncers have the right to shock someone, except in selfdefense.

P.S.S. Still waiting for the citation of at least three laws broken by the police.

Last edited by o_uber; 11-19-2006 at 07:46 PM.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2006, 03:25 AM   #77
o_[cjff]vultureman

Good.

http://youneed2see.com/political/110/UCLA_..._taser_incident

Old 11-20-2006, 03:25 AM   #78
o_[cjff]vultureman

Good.

http://youneed2see.com/political/110/UCLA_..._taser_incident

Old 11-20-2006, 03:38 AM   #79
o_uber

Good what? Good you posted the ciatations that you said you had of the at least three laws broken by the police? Becuase you didn't. Or good you know how to post links to blogs made by random people?
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2006, 03:41 AM   #80
o_frenchtoast

It's the second one.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote