Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #61
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
Quote:
As for this thread, its pointless. I run a skills server and if someone comes in and has no idea whats going on, i always tell them to join a server with a map that starts with ff_. Sometimes, i will even post the IP of a server for them to join. I dont want new players to join their first server and think that the game is not a CTF game. I am also not about to stop running my server nor am I about to lock it.
Sorry but that statement right there is exactly what the thread is about. That's what we call a 'contradiction'. But I agree that the start of the thread isn't exactly valid as someone has pointed out earlier that 'skill' maps are not required or essential to the actual game; simply just wants.

Satan: Nope, shouldn't be a problem later on down the road. If no one does later, I'll start a thread up and see just how many people are willing to volunteer. If we get a good amount then it'd be worth trying to start. Otherwise only a few people it'll be like a fish out of water.
cownaetion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #62
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
yep...I agree. I'll join and help out as much as I can. Start up the thread when you get a chance!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #63
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownaetion
Sorry but that statement right there is exactly what the thread is about. That's what we call a 'contradiction'. But I agree that the start of the thread isn't exactly valid as someone has pointed out earlier that 'skill' maps are not required or essential to the actual game; simply just wants.
That's shocking, I'm assuming this is coming from a CTFer? That's also like saying AvD maps are not required or essential, just wants, to a skill map player, CTF maps are not required or essential. This game has MANY game modes, each are as valuable as the other, each have their own player base.

Also, the euroskills FF server last night was had 7/8 NEW people on last night, I explained to them that there's multiple game modes and this was just one of them, even told them about CTF and AVD type maps, yet they stayed due to quad being easier to pick up than concing and them generally enjoying themselves. Imagine if those people joined a clan server, not being able to kill anything and repeatedly dying over and over again is a lot less enjoyable.
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #64
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWetMule
That's shocking, I'm assuming this is coming from a CTFer? That's also like saying AvD maps are not required or essential, just wants, to a skill map player, CTF maps are not required or essential. This game has MANY game modes, each are as valuable as the other, each have their own player base.

Also, the euroskills FF server last night was had 7/8 NEW people on last night, I explained to them that there's multiple game modes and this was just one of them, even told them about CTF and AVD type maps, yet they stayed due to quad being easier to pick up than concing and them generally enjoying themselves. Imagine if those people joined a clan server, not being able to kill anything and repeatedly dying over and over again is a lot less enjoyable.
Mule, I'm not here to argue or fight. It's true skill maps are wants, not essentials. In the end, Fortress is/was never about skill maps. Yes, their fun, addictive, highly favored. I love them too. But if you were to take away skill maps, Fortress would still be there. TF2 is a perfect example. So if your saying if skill maps were taken away from FF, than it would collapse cause they are the core of the game, than sorry to say but it is doomed. Another example are leagues. What league maps are there? Not one of them are skill maps. Are skills essential to the game? Sure, but the maps aren't. The best maps for skills are the league maps themselves.

No one has to agree with me and that's fine. Everyone has their own perspective and this is mine. I'm not here for flames, bickering, strangling each other. If you don't agree, than fine. If you do than fine. That's all, not a big deal at all.

Satan: Yeah, it'll be up before the end of the night.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #65
TheWetMule

Im sorry, but that works for CTF too, if you took that away you'd still have AvD leagues, the game itself wouldn't collapse, it'd just lose 1/3 of its player base dependant on what you play mostly, is what makes a map a "want" more than a necessity. Also, there was skill map CONTESTS, which are essentially leagues, based off of advanced jumps, doing them in a minimum, out doing somebody, having more flare. Skills maps also draw in a relatively big crowd.

EDIT: I'm aware everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but that opinion is what makes a certain game type a want or a necessity

Old 03-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #66
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Quote:
EDIT: I'm aware everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but that opinion is what makes a certain game type a want or a necessity
And let's leave it at that, shall we? I don't want to argue. If anyone wants to put their 2 cents in go ahead. I'd rather watch your blue pipe video, that's more interesting

Old 03-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #67
Damascus
Comic Artist
D&A Member

I say we need a server that's titled "Newbie Helper".

And in that, we need a map that uses textures to help newbies how to conce, pipe jump, etc.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #68
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
such as a training level that is being worked on by squeek
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #69
Bakez

Quote:
The fact you had to explain this to them just represents another example of where this mod has completely failed to meet its requirement of actually integrating new players into the game.
Bakez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2008, 02:26 AM   #70
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Im sorry, but that works for CTF too, if you took that away you'd still have AvD leagues, the game itself wouldn't collapse, it'd just lose 1/3 of its player base dependant on what you play mostly, is what makes a map a "want" more than a necessity. Also, there was skill map CONTESTS, which are essentially leagues, based off of advanced jumps, doing them in a minimum, out doing somebody, having more flare. Skills maps also draw in a relatively big crowd.

Skill maps draw in a crowd of players that are already familiar with them. Very few people look at FF and say "Oh hey yeah skill maps!" It just doesn't happens.

Your analogy is also false because AVD and CTF are core. TF games thrive off of both modes and any game that is exclusive to one, or favors one more, will lose its flavor rather fast. Or, if a TF game doesn't really focus on either you're left with a rather shallow shell of a game.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2008, 02:35 AM   #71
Pebbles

newbies are already way behind the times cause this game is almost a direct port of a game thats what 10+ years old?
Pebbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2008, 05:53 AM   #72
richard nixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles
newbies are already way behind the times cause this game is almost a direct port of a game thats what 10+ years old?

I think I see (or used to see) more players come in and complain about the graphics and how hard it is to win/not get owned. So I agree with the WetMule.

Actually I remember showing my friend the game and he saw me conc jumped and asked me how to do it. So I showed him how to do it on well in a public server. He got frustrated and then left and start up the map himself so he can conc. He had quite a lot of fun with it. Although that wasn't enough to get the lazy pigfarmer into actually playing it.
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #73
TheWetMule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
Skill maps draw in a crowd of players that are already familiar with them. Very few people look at FF and say "Oh hey yeah skill maps!" It just doesn't happens.

Your analogy is also false because AVD and CTF are core. TF games thrive off of both modes and any game that is exclusive to one, or favors one more, will lose its flavor rather fast. Or, if a TF game doesn't really focus on either you're left with a rather shallow shell of a game.

People don't join FF and go "Oh hey yeah skill maps!" because skill maps are a unique gametype to this game, CTF and AVD are in near enough every game I can remember, or some sort of point capture.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #74
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Not that this proves anything, but I know people who have only ever played skills maps for TFC, going nowhere near ctf /avd game modes.
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #75
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
Sorry, stopped reading after first post. What the ball bashing bevs are you todgers waffling on about.

It's skills, it's supposed to be hard hard hard.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote