Old 09-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #61
o_drtom

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
my post was actually layered in deep and layered layers of layering irony
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #62
o_sobe green

I'm glad someone mentioned the Underground attack too. I think that if anything is a good a reason as any to not say "I don't care it didn't effect me/It wasn't important in my life" because it can happy anywhere. Its not just the Americans under attack, it is people in general and most of them being innocent people.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 07:25 PM   #63
o_tennovan

mourn: v. intr. - To feel or express grief or sorrow

You can mourn for every person who died in those attacks without having to actually sit down and cry over it. Thats the last I'm saying on it.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 09:42 PM   #64
o_etzell

I was in study hall, drawing a comic and making fun of the President. A teacher came running in crying and saying that a plane had hit the WTC. We turned on the TV in time to see the second one hit. We watched it for the rest of the day.

I finished that comic, by the way. I wasn't gonna let the terrorists win.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 09:59 PM   #65
o_otiz

My thoughts on terrorist attacks in genereal is that they are stupid. You don't really hurt the enemy that way, for the enemy is the government (mainly). You're just killing civilians and in the process uniting them against yourself. And we can't forget that you're giving your enemy the political chance to strike back at you with much more support and understanding than if the terrorist attacks wouldn't have occured.

It's as stupid as fighting christianity by burning churches, it only unites christians, am I right?

FrenchToast: You're smarter than throwing fuck you's around like that, if you wanna oppose them in an argument make it civilized and you'll get your point across.
o_otiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 10:01 PM   #66
o_salty milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
I'm glad someone mentioned the Underground attack too. I think that if anything is a good a reason as any to not say "I don't care it didn't effect me/It wasn't important in my life" because it can happy anywhere.
Freudian Slip?

If it was gonna happen anywhere it should at last happen to the countries that deserve it the most.

seems unlikely that al qaeda will attack Canada, though it appears there are three reasons why they might.
http://www.ukar.org/martin/martin20.html
o_salty milkshake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 10:13 PM   #67
o_fisheye

The thing about the underground attacks seems to be much more hyped in the states than it is here. In no way has it left a mark on our national psych anywhere near to the one left by the trade center bombings in americas'. That might be because terrorist attacks aren't a new thing here. Some of you guys are too young to remember them, but there was this Irish group called the IRA, that used to get most of it's funding from the US, and they had a series of bombing campaigns against our major cities. Killed lots of people etc.

I never did see or hear them descibed in the media as 'fundamentalist christians' though, even if it was rumoured that religion was somehow involved.

And the thing I remember most about the trade center, was how the news stations would repeatedly show the plane ploughing into a building, instantly vapourising people, like it was the best bit of footage they ever had. It took two hours for someone in authority to see it the same way.
o_fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 10:13 PM   #68
o_bokko

I don't remember what I did, I remember there was a lot of news coverage. So I guess I'm a heartless bastard too! Ridiculous flamewar...
o_bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 10:16 PM   #69
o_sobe green

Just because there have been two major attacks does not mean they are the only two major attacks. While Canada doesn't have a major military threat they are backed by the Americans. Why attack the smaller guy when you can attack the mean one. Its not that we did or didn't deserve it, its simply common sense. You can shoot little guys all day but the big guys will still kick your ass so you might as well make your shots count. I'm in no way saying that Canada is weak. I'm just saying were Canada to be invaded or attacked in any way shape or form the American military would be all over it fairly quickly (though this last Hurricane almost makes me doubt this).

The ironic part is that I'm seeing less Euro American bashing and more Canadians bashing us. But if either country Canada or America was to be severely attacked both countries would have to pull together simply because they rely on one another. Get to getting along or shut up.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #70
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
How is that ironic?
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #71
o_shootthechicken

I was in Gym class, outside. The vice principal of our school came out and whispered something in my teachers' ear. She looked rather taken aback, and left for a few minutes. In a few mintues, she returned and informed us that the Trade Centers had been hit.

I wasn't really aware of what the implications of that were, until I got home and saw news coverage of it. I late found out that she had a sister working in the Trade Center.

I think it's right to feel bad/mourn for those lost, but it musn't be dwelled on forever. And Ido'nt mean to offend anyone, but in the grand scheme of things, a few thousand deaths is not that astronomical compared to other injustices that have occured in the past, resulting in the deaths of innocents.

But I do mourn those lost. Although I wasn't directly affected, I realized it's impacts on my teachers.
o_shootthechicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 10:41 PM   #72
o_travis dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by otiz
My thoughts on terrorist attacks in genereal is that they are stupid. You don't really hurt the enemy that way, for the enemy is the government (mainly). You're just killing civilians and in the process uniting them against yourself. And we can't forget that you're giving your enemy the political chance to strike back at you with much more support and understanding than if the terrorist attacks wouldn't have occured.

It's as stupid as fighting christianity by burning churches, it only unites christians, am I right?
False. Many privacy-invading measures have been taken ever since 9/11, as a re-action to the so-called 'fear' people seem to have for another attack. In my point of view, the politicians are just using these attacks to justify yet another law to further expand their power in society. The situation is further worsened by the media, whom have the ability to blow an event up to proposterous proportions, yet again fueling the already growing fear for 'terrorism'. To sum it up, yes you are right that terrorists don't have a clue when it comes to 'convert' the west in accordance with their views, but incidentally ARE helped by corrupt and ignorant politicians, and of course the media, which'll do just about anything for ratings.
o_travis dane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #73
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Dane
Quote:

False. Many privacy-invading measures have been taken ever since 9/11, as a re-action to the so-called 'fear' people seem to have for another attack. In my point of view, the politicians are just using these attacks to justify yet another law to further expand their power in society. The situation is further worsened by the media, whom have the ability to blow an event up to proposterous proportions, yet again fueling the already growing fear for 'terrorism'. To sum it up, yes you are right that terrorists don't have a clue when it comes to 'convert' the west in accordance with their views, but incidentally ARE helped by corrupt and ignorant politicians, and of course the media, which'll do just about anything for ratings.
I think you missed the point that Otiz was making. I think Otiz was saying that the method's being employed by the terrorists don't work. That they only serve unite their foes and give them a reason to hit you back even harder. Instead you slanted off on your usual soapbox. Anyway, how do US privacy issues impact you Travis? Aren't you in some small European country smaller than some US cities?
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 11:22 PM   #74
o_simmadown

Funny thread.

1) Kids. Of course these children didn't understand the magnitude of 9/11, on 9/11.

2) Privacy. Let's compare the measures taken during this war (The Patriot Act), to the forced relocation camps of WWII enacted by Rosevelt. Or perhaps the Espionage and Sedition Acts put in place by Woodrow Wilsom, or the suspension of habeas corpus by Abraham Lincoln. And then, let us thank Bush for being far less intrusive than those presidents were during earlier wars.

3) And lastly, let this thread be a lesson that simply because you have the right to freedom of speech, does not mean you have anything worth saying. That's a life lesson you kids need to learn. Just because you have something to say, does not by default mean it is of worth.

-Simma Down.
o_simmadown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 11:35 PM   #75
o_travis dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
I think you missed the point that Otiz was making. I think Otiz was saying that the method's being employed by the terrorists don't work. That they only serve unite their foes and give them a reason to hit you back even harder.
Yes, and I pointed out it's false (exactly how united was the rest of the world with the US and their 'war on terrorism'?), and went off to make a point of my own.

Quote:
Anyway, how do US privacy issues impact you Travis? Aren't you in some small European country smaller than some US cities?
So tell me, where did you read 'US' in my post? Self-centered Americans 1 - Literacy 0.

Quote:
2) Privacy. Let's compare the measures taken during this war (The Patriot Act), to the forced relocation camps of WWII enacted by Rosevelt. Or perhaps the Espionage and Sedition Acts put in place by Woodrow Wilsom, or the suspension of habeas corpus by Abraham Lincoln. And then, let us thank Bush for being far less intrusive than those presidents were during earlier wars.
I'm not even wasting breath on such an utterly proposterous argument.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:48 PM   #76
o_zsilver_fox

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Sobe, I hate to get off topic, but go educate yourself on what a governer is suppose to do with their state.
o_zsilver_fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2005, 12:07 AM   #77
o_salty milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
Sobe, I hate to get off topic, but go educate yourself on what a governer is suppose to do with their state.
well it's your topic, if you want to derail it by being a patronising little cock about something someone said, in one line, in a post that was generally supporting your position, it's upto you...

This knee jerk reaction to defend your government is completely retarded.

Seems strange to me that the guy heading your relief efforts had virtually no experience and qualification for the job, his main experience being "commissioner of the International Arabian Horse Association" (and of course being another of Bush's cronies...) Seems to me that lives could have been saved if someone who knew what they were doing was in charge.

So if Canada was in trouble then they'd have to hope that someone qualified for the job was sent to help them, rather than just one of Bush's mates...
o_salty milkshake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2005, 12:56 AM   #78
o_sobe green

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
First of all I know what he is supposed to do. I am American. You need to shut the hell up. I wasn't opposing you in any way. Bush himself said our NATION not just the State did a poor job of handling the situation.

So pay more attention and quit trying to get into an internet fight.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:27 AM   #79
o_otiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Dane
Quote:

Hold up, you said 'False.' and then listed my thoughts on the subject!

But you say politicians and media help them. In what way? What's their ultimate goal? Strike fear? I think it's to convert the world, they're just going about it all wrong. Christians have had it down for awhile although their influence is flailing now.
o_otiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2005, 09:07 AM   #80
o_travis dane

Yea I went off to make my own point too fast without explaining to you why I disagreed. You're talking about a solidarity of the world, that came to be after 9/11, but I haven't seen the slightest hint to such a thing. Quite on the contrary, the US was pretty much alone with their 'war on terrorism', AKA invasion of Iraq. Of course, the terrorist aren't getting what they want (or what I think they want), but they did manage do inject 'fear' into society, thanks to the media mostly, which in turn gives the politicians the opportunity to expand their authority yet again, and you can count on those new 'anti-terrorism' laws to be further expanded into our daily life, up until we get used to it. So while the terrorist may certainly not accomplish their dream world (fully islamic world), they did manage to take away a little bit of the freedom that puts the west apart from the rest of the world.