Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 07-13-2007, 02:21 AM   #61
there's nothing here
lol

Location: Halfway sprawled out of a cardboard box at the bottom of a flight of stairs.
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle
yea, that doesn't make sense. I know what he's saying, but there's also a little thing called morals.
Morals are sins!
there's nothing here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2007, 02:33 AM   #62
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
huh?
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2007, 02:54 AM   #63
MikeQuist
Person

Honestly I think that if somebody just acts as kindly as they can towards everyone, they can't really be screwed in the end. I mean, is it really worth living in a heaven led by somebody who wouldn't let you, despite being one of the nicest people in the world, just because you didn't believe in him? Really? What will believing in him logically do for the better of mankind or animal kind or earth kind? That's not to say that you shouldn't believe in him...Just that faith should not have a place in whether you go to heaven or not. Just like confession, etc. If you feel bad about doing something bad and regret doing it, than you should be as forgiven as much or more so as a guy who just walks into a box and says forgive me.

If people put as much time into helping other people as they have done fighting over how to believe in somebody, the world would be a better place, and if God could not want that instead of his believers dying and hating others for the sake of him...is that really a God worth spending eternity with?
MikeQuist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2007, 03:03 AM   #64
Thor-Stryker
Spybox

Class/Position: Sniper, Defensive
Gametype: Capture Point
Affiliations: Unguilded
Send a message via AIM to Thor-Stryker Send a message via Yahoo to Thor-Stryker
Quote:
Originally Posted by halo
If I remember rightly Moses asked him what it was and he said "I am who I am." They used the initial letters (which we don't have in our alphabet) to form the word pronounced Yaweh (the tetragrammaton YHWH) which was rendered in the first English translations of the bible as 'Lord.' From a philosophical point of view 'I Am' is about the highest name you could give to a God because it has no restrictions. I suppose he wouldn't have really needed a name before he created people.
So it would seem that the closest word to being gods name would be pronounced Yaweh then. I doubt, "I am" could even be considered a name, as its not really a noun then, which means its not identifying something. That would be along the same lines has him having said, "Totally Awesome" which I doubt one would ever have as a name. It also brings up the point that if god is omnipotent, he would have to listen to you say, "I am so dead sexy.)

As for, "Lord", while one could consider that he could actually be named, "Lord" I believe that word was probably around in the English language before the first English translations in the bible. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Which just leaves Yaweh, if anything. This comes to the second part of my question, why does no one call him by that if thats his true(st) name? Its kind of like the same feeling as the character, "Voldermort" in the harry potter series. People fear saying his name because it has the possibility of drawing his attention to you.
Thor-Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2007, 03:11 AM   #65
Thor-Stryker
Spybox

Class/Position: Sniper, Defensive
Gametype: Capture Point
Affiliations: Unguilded
Send a message via AIM to Thor-Stryker Send a message via Yahoo to Thor-Stryker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeQuist
Honestly I think that if somebody just acts as kindly as they can towards everyone, they can't really be screwed in the end. I mean, is it really worth living in a heaven led by somebody who wouldn't let you, despite being one of the nicest people in the world, just because you didn't believe in him? Really?
That can totally be construed though. A person can believe they are acting, "kindly" towards everyone else by killing them. Does that mean that person will go to heaven? He doesn't think its wrong, and nothing says otherwise. This is why religion was created, so people know the laws required to get into heaven. Unfortunately everyone created their own religion and a lot of them contradict each other. So you either believe you will go to hell, because a religion that is faithful to god and thinks they know the way. Or you believe in the fact that there is a possibility that no one knows how to get into heaven anymore. You could blame it on humans possessing the bible, or the lack of disciples to keep the belief of the people in tact. If "Yaweh" was really there and he wanted to let his people into heaven, he would probably use a disciple to clarify the right way how to get in.

The next theory this leads to, is does belief empower a god? Does a god become more stronger with every new person that believes in him? It would explain the expansion of religion. Otherwise people would keep it to them selves, or expand it without the next of hostility. Instead of killing those who don't believe. (Black & White makes an example of this theory.)
Thor-Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2007, 03:16 AM   #66
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle
yea, that doesn't make sense. I know what he's saying, but there's also a little thing called morals.
..but morals are nothing more than the framework handed down to us by God. Without God, we have no morals!

Old 07-13-2007, 03:21 AM   #67
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
..but morals are nothing more than the framework handed down to us by God. Without God, we have no morals!
Morals are about right and wrong. I do good things because I'm a good person, not b/c God says I should. I was raised that way, and not because of religion, just because its the right thing to do. Yes, there's much overlap, but I'm pretty much saying what Mike was saying.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:32 AM   #68
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

No, sorry. You were raised that way because God wants it to be so... you may not think that's why, but it's all part of God's great, mysterious, and increasingly frustrating plan.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:59 AM   #69
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Oh I thought you were trying to be logical. I misinterpretted.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:09 AM   #70
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Religion =/= Logic

...duh.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:42 AM   #71
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Beetle, FT just owned you. Worse than I was ever owned myself. And that's bad.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #72
halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Stryker
So it would seem that the closest word to being gods name would be pronounced Yaweh then. I doubt, "I am" could even be considered a name, as its not really a noun then, which means its not identifying something.
A name is just a sound or a written symbol to which you attatch your understanding of something, somewhere or someone. It can be any sound or symbol. All something needs to be a name is for someone to call something, someone or somewhere, by it.

God wouldn't have needed a name before people were, so I doubt he'd much be bothered so long as you didn't run him down.

By the way, I'm not one of these God Channel lunatics, I just have a broad general knowledge, particularly about language.
halo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 AM   #73
Leandros
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
shut it, furfag

Religion is shit, stop talking about it and it'll go away.
Leandros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #74
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
i agree, but he only did cuz I thought he was starting to have a real conversation. I thought wrong, I know.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #75
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Religion =/= Logic

...duh.
[/thread]

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #76
YomMamasHouse

Hardly my friend, this thread has just begun.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2007, 11:12 PM   #77
there's nothing here
lol

Location: Halfway sprawled out of a cardboard box at the bottom of a flight of stairs.
*cue the Terminator theme song*
there's nothing here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2007, 11:59 PM   #78
Coronius
Alcoholic Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandros
shut it, furfag
*High five!*
Coronius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2007, 12:11 AM   #79
Jifcuits

It'd be more contraversial if the catholic church said they weren't the one true church
Jifcuits is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2007, 12:15 AM   #80
YomMamasHouse

I think someone should ask them what their feelings are on the Islamic religion on live television and if they try to tiptoe around the fact that they hate it the reporter could just keep asking "but if you are saying these Jesus worshiping churches are wounded by not acknowledging you then what about the Islamic church which doesn't recognize him as the savior at all?". All people like them think other religions are wrong and misguided so it is about time they suffer the awkwardness as well as the consequences of admitting to it.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote