Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #61
be_

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I like to heal people.

^_^

Would be much more helpful if the medpack could upgrade armor too. Was hoping it would be in this patch :/
be_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2008, 06:03 AM   #62
AaronJer
Bearskinner

Gametype: Double Mode
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
What exactly do you mean by upgrade? That's definitely not a word for repairing armor or getting lost armor back... so, do you mean that medics could 'harden' people's armor and make it resist extra damage? Or are you just talking about pimping the armor out with gold trim and spinners and stuff? Like, the number on your HUD could have a gold grill and big golden 'A' on a chain hanging around it. That would be awesome. That's a great idea, be_!
AaronJer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #63
be_

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Well obviously the pimp one.
be_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #64
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Iggy: I misread your post, I thought you were saying they only last a few seconds, which is a few seconds longer than it should be (implying that you thought they should disappear as soon as they hit the ground). My mistake. I think the packs lasting longer wouldn't hurt, but there needs to be something else to make the medic more effective at healing.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2008, 02:00 AM   #65
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
No way.... they should last a good 10 seconds, I think.

As for the better healing.... all melee weapons need help(for the same reasons).... Fixing that should take care of that.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2008, 03:17 AM   #66
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
Yes.

Not enough people toss medpacks. Fact.
Hey, speaking of...

Every class needs a specific fortress point giving thing. The medic has his heals, as an example. IT'S SO UNFAIR THAT THE MEDIC CAN GET SO MANY MORE FORTRESS POINTS RAAAAH!

Really though, that'd be sweet.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #67
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Fortress Points need a MAJOR overhaul after we go Orange Box.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #68
Dragonfly

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Anyone give me a site with some information on the classes? Or you can tell me yourselves if you want.. Any classes underpowered? Overpowered? Any play differently than before? I loved scout/medic/demo before how do they compare to tfc?
Dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2008, 12:49 AM   #69
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
Anyone give me a site with some information on the classes? Or you can tell me yourselves if you want.. Any classes underpowered? Overpowered? Any play differently than before? I loved scout/medic/demo before how do they compare to tfc?
Every class is similar to its TFC counterpart. In 2.1, all classes are fairly well balanced. It's up to personal opinion whether or not certain classes are under/overpowered.

Not sure how updated this is, but it provides a solid guide to the changes from TFC -> FF: TFC Player's Guide To FF

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #70
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
Pyro is easier to use (flamer, for instance) and stronger. However, you don't get sprite flames to mess your screen up (if you got fire blocking the view, Pyro would be OP O_o)
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #71
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11
Pyro is easier to use (flamer, for instance) and stronger. However, you don't get sprite flames to mess your screen up (if you got fire blocking the view, Pyro would be OP O_o)
Pyro is good for the wrong reasons. I don't want to go in to a lot of detail about it, but it mainly falls in the realm of "Here's some over-the-top damage to make up for a lack of features."

If the pyros damage was same same as it was in 2.0 then he'd be incredibly UP at the moment.

Ronald Reagan

Old 10-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #72
xpod1

Class/Position: Spy, Medic Offense
Good Medics

I've noticed that I was the only medic that new what he was supposed to be doing: Saving his team's ass.
I've seen some medics stare at me for like 10 seconds while I'm burning, and just run off to get killed by a HWGuy. Only one medic I came across thought:
"Hey, this guy's been calling for me for like three minutes and he has a weird green glow on him. I wonder what will happen if I finally tried to heal him."

I want to see more people knowing what the hell a medic is supposed to do. So the next time you play, play as a medic and help us. We need your support.

Please?
xpod1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #73
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpod1
I've noticed that I was the only medic that new what he was supposed to be doing: Saving his team's ass.
To be honest, that's not what the medics role actually is in FF.

Ronald Reagan

Old 10-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #74
ryan_aaxxx

Pyro is WAY over-powered!

I've been playing for about a week and this is my biggest complaint. They also cause way too much lag. I know you guys wanted to pyro active, but damn he needs to be balanced a little more, more importantly, cut down on the amount of lag he causes.

I noticed the SGs don't move as fast either, interesting to me. Dunno if people feel it needs tweaking.

These are the first of many impressions the game has left on me for the first week after many years of TFC. Sorry if they've been expressed\discussed many a time before.

I'm really enjoying FF, just wish more people would play.
ryan_aaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2008, 01:20 AM   #75
eternity94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_aaxxx
Pyro is WAY over-powered!

I've been playing for about a week and this is my biggest complaint. They also cause way too much lag. I know you guys wanted to pyro active, but damn he needs to be balanced a little more, more importantly, cut down on the amount of lag he causes.

I noticed the SGs don't move as fast either, interesting to me. Dunno if people feel it needs tweaking.

These are the first of many impressions the game has left on me for the first week after many years of TFC. Sorry if they've been expressed\discussed many a time before.

I'm really enjoying FF, just wish more people would play.
I wouldn't say hes overpowered, he's very vulnerable from long range because of his flamethrower and the arching shot of his IC cannon. If he does get close you just need to get away from him to throw a nade. Ive never felt like hes overpowered by either getting attacked or playing as him.
eternity94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2008, 02:45 AM   #76
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternity94
I wouldn't say hes overpowered, he's very vulnerable from long range because of his flamethrower and the arching shot of his IC cannon. If he does get close you just need to get away from him to throw a nade. Ive never felt like hes overpowered by either getting attacked or playing as him.
Currently the pyro's IC does more damage than it should (bug/patch mess up) and, as a result, makes encounters with the pyro just that much more brutal. A trade off is that the pyro is now 'slower' from the BHop skim cap.

But, as I've said like... a billion times, the pyro is overpowered for the wrong reasons. His mechanics don't fully work like they should and his movement skills, the ones that made him fast in previous versions, don't work due to new mechanics introduced in 2.1. He does more damage than he should while using the wrong weapons while being incredibly unforgiving.

The ONLY reason why a soldier is still preferred is because of the explosion radius and stopping power of the rocket launcher. It's just that much better than the IC... otherwise the pyro is above and beyond what a soldier is capable of. It's a bad situation.

Ronald Reagan

Old 10-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #77
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
I prefer the increased damage from the pyro, but I think he's a tad more durable than he should be now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpod1
I want to see more people knowing what the hell a medic is supposed to do. So the next time you play, play as a medic and help us. We need your support.

Please?
Unfortunately you've stumbled onto a large debate topic here. Many people (myself included) would like to see the medic act like a medic and actually support his team and be given abilities that would increase his usefulness to them.

On the other side, people use him as a "heavy scout", namely a class used for flag-capping that has similar speeds/abilities as the scout, but a heavier arsenal for defending himself. This crowd generally isn't healing anybody in the first place, and are overall satisfied with the medic's role right now.

Last edited by chilledsanity; 10-08-2008 at 07:32 AM.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #78
EvilIguana966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
Currently the pyro's IC does more damage than it should (bug/patch mess up) and, as a result, makes encounters with the pyro just that much more brutal. A trade off is that the pyro is now 'slower' from the BHop skim cap.

But, as I've said like... a billion times, the pyro is overpowered for the wrong reasons. His mechanics don't fully work like they should and his movement skills, the ones that made him fast in previous versions, don't work due to new mechanics introduced in 2.1. He does more damage than he should while using the wrong weapons while being incredibly unforgiving.

The ONLY reason why a soldier is still preferred is because of the explosion radius and stopping power of the rocket launcher. It's just that much better than the IC... otherwise the pyro is above and beyond what a soldier is capable of. It's a bad situation.
Your logic is a bit circular without further details. What exactly SHOULD the pyro's role be if not doing damage to things? I think the IC damage is almost perfect now. If it needs a nerf it needs only a small one. As you said, the soldier is not being outclassed by the pyro because his weapons are still powerful, which is "working as intended" as I see it. And who says pyros use the wrong weapons? In 2.1 I use both the IC and FT about the same amount and switch between them as called for by the situation. The FT still does more damage than the IC but the pyro is not completely f***ed anymore by a total inability to kill anything from farther than 5 feet away.

I'd like to point out that in TFC, the game most often used as a reference for what each class should play like, the IC was really the pyros primary weapon. But since nobody but me ever played the TFC pyro they never realized that there were effective uses. The arc on the IC effectively kills the TFC style of play for the pyro, so it's only fair that the weapon do noticeable damage.

Again it's not like pyros are owning up the place without anyone to stop them. Soldiers can kill pyros the same way that they always have, with the only difference being it's not a free kill anymore and they may take serious damage in the process if they aren't careful. Oh, and if they aren't as good as the pyro is they can die, a strange new concept to be sure but a welcome one in my opinion. The same can basically be said of HW. And although emps seem to have been nerfed a bit this patch, pyro's are still stunningly vulnerable to them, dying in one close hit at full health and taking at most a few SShotgun blasts to finish off if the emp lands anywhere within damage range. As for sentryguns, pyros are less helpless but still among the poorer sentry killers in the game. Most of the improvement this patch is just a general improvement based on the overall sentry nerf that affects all classes. When I play engy, I still view pyros as a free kill so long as I have an emp gren remaining.
EvilIguana966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #79
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
Even though it's still doable to an extent, I miss killing the SG/Engy duo spamming napalms in their general area... Or hitting the SG from under with the paper flame sitting weapon, which it seems I can't do in FF anymore D=
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2008, 12:22 AM   #80
Lateralols
mimic Altar`aG

Class/Position: Sollymer D
Gametype: Amature CTF 5v5
Affiliations: mimic
If TFC/FF's medic was meant to sit around heal people, then the FF developers are raking in the cash with the real FF they called Team Fortress 2 (tricky sons of bitches )

#mimic we play FF 24/7
Lateralols is offline   Reply With Quote