Old 11-22-2005, 10:08 PM   #61
o_yomamashouse

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Im thinking both is the correct answer.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:08 PM   #62
o_broodingdude

He may have forgotten an emoticon...

but this may become another 'splitting hairs' argument.

Interpret that.

Travis rocks.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:57 PM   #63
o_salty milkshake

Switch your view to the brother with the fried dreads
Not to be confused with the incense selling thai heads
His name rhymes with Mike-Cock
You could call him livewire, eye sockets, Frylock
Able to shoot electricity through his eyeballs
And blast all through your single sided brick and drywall
More interesting than professional wrestling
When he's online, you can find him on Instant Pestering

Old 11-23-2005, 12:15 AM   #64
o_broodingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Milkshake
Switch your view to the brother with the fried dreads
Not to be confused with the incense selling thai heads
His name rhymes with Mike-Cock
You could call him livewire, eye sockets, Frylock
Able to shoot electricity through his eyeballs
And blast all through your single sided brick and drywall
More interesting than professional wrestling
When he's online, you can find him on Instant Pestering
Wow...
Just, wow.

Well done.

Hunh.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:30 AM   #65
o_salty milkshake

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/193908-01.htm
extremely good album, especially if you're a fan of adult swim.

http://wma.juno.co.uk/ASF/SF193908-01-01-07.wma

Old 11-23-2005, 12:56 AM   #66
o_friedbunny

This thread bothers me.

While I have little practical experience with the military, my father is a veteran of the air force.

I've never quite understood the mindset that allows someone to be manipulated into believing that participating in the military is glorious or anything other than simply a job – it’s just a means to an end. While the military culture (and other social institutions, eg, religion) might espouse and encourage such a belief, I don't believe it to be true, in a contemporary, practical sense. If patriotism and/or glory were such inspirational factors in who joined the military there would be no need to link school funding to whether or not recruiters are allowed on campus or engage in a multitude of other recruiting bombardments.

The military works hard to create an image for the public and impress this on their young charges, but, frankly, I can’t fathom how anyone buys it.

Holding educational funding hostage so that sleazy recruiters can bother students at lunch or get a list of phone numbers for their telemarketers is fundamentally wrong.

For better or worse, I associate joining the military with being a sheep of the establishment. I'd simply rather not supplant my judgment.

... but yeah, thanks for dying, guys and gals! I support all y'all!

Old 11-23-2005, 02:08 AM   #67
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Dunno about the recruiters you get, but I've never even heard of anyone going door to door or harrassing people at malls or lunch.

All the recruiters we ever got did was set up a booth with "ARMY" or "MARINES" or "USAF" on it in big letters, sometimes with a TV to show a video, plenty of pamphlets, little gifts like lanyards or keychains, and they just sit there waiting for someone to get interested and come over. They never walked over to anyone and even so much as suggested coming over to the booth to look at stuff, let alone trying to make them join.

They'd just sit there and wait for people to come over. And when you did, they were almost dismissive. "Have a look at this, see if it's for you, feel free to ask questions." No promises, no guarantees.

Worked pretty well.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:13 AM   #68
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Yeah, they're still not doing that here. I'm talking, like, less than a year ago, this is how it was. I doubt it's changed so dramatically in a few months and I've heard nothing about it.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:45 AM   #69
o_binarylife

American Recuiters around here (PA) really aren't bad at all. The most they do at schools is hand out pamflets and such to those who ask for them. They also have to register with the school before doing anything.

The only annoying thing I get from recruiters is the occasional phone call asking me to join the marines. They list off people in my high school that joined... which upsets me, because he lists off the names of the craziest people I know. Basically people who probobly wouldn't be able to get a gun permit if the tried. Well, before the army at least.

Either way I'd rather them come to my school and talk about the subject, hand out pamflets and stuff than draft me. So I say these people need to quit whining. They aren't being kidnapped and forced to serve. They're being asked to serve. They're the only people that do that as well. I don't see Microsoft going to schools and asking students to work for them once a month.

You're talking about a corperation that goes around handing out jobs. Yes, the jobs are dangerous. But you know what, it's still not considered the most dangerous job in the world. So reguardless of difference in opinoins, it's not something to get so drastically upset about.

I'm damn thankfull for the military keeping this coutnry safe. I'm sure all of you are as well, but I feel like it needs to be said. By any nations citizens. People who put their lives on the line for me tend to get my respect.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:15 AM   #70
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Recruiters call my house

They told me ll the venifits for joining hte Army and I Was Like nah I don't have money problems and they told me like they where going to pay for my college and I was like do I have toJoin the army to receive all these great things and he said yeah and I said nevermind forget about it. Then he ask me why.

I said I'm not a killer and he said ok and end of conversation

Also Recruiters at my school are cool to talk to sometimes but if they bring the subject about joining the army I walk away

Old 11-23-2005, 07:23 AM   #71
o_vampiricus

Just tell them your epileptic :P

I make this joe even though I take meds for the disorder myself. unlike som eunfortunate sufferers, mine is controlled. Its one reason why they DIDNT take me, and the very same reason i couldnt get into law enforcement (whew, which im glad for anyway)

personally i dont like the idea of going into the military and it being okay to kill people...............because your in the military.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:52 AM   #72
o_salty milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife
You're talking about a corperation that goes around handing out jobs. Yes, the jobs are dangerous. But you know what, it's still not considered the most dangerous job in the world.
Surely if you're getting sent out to Iraq it has to rank up there with the most dangerous jobs in the world? What's the death toll up to now? 2100?

Those that have died did not do so keeping your country safe. It's a whole other arguement what they did die for, but surely we can agree on that.

In the next few decades the military are going to be used more and more as a tool for securing oil for the US. This isn't tinfoil hat speak, it's a certainty. Are you so happy for people to die for that?

'Keeping your Country Safe' it's just rhetoric, rubbish, whatever.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:18 PM   #73
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedBunny
This thread bothers me.

While I have little practical experience with the military, my father is a veteran of the air force.

I've never quite understood the mindset that allows someone to be manipulated into believing that participating in the military is glorious or anything other than simply a job – it’s just a means to an end. While the military culture (and other social institutions, eg, religion) might espouse and encourage such a belief, I don't believe it to be true, in a contemporary, practical sense. If patriotism and/or glory were such inspirational factors in who joined the military there would be no need to link school funding to whether or not recruiters are allowed on campus or engage in a multitude of other recruiting bombardments.

The military works hard to create an image for the public and impress this on their young charges, but, frankly, I can’t fathom how anyone buys it.

Holding educational funding hostage so that sleazy recruiters can bother students at lunch or get a list of phone numbers for their telemarketers is fundamentally wrong.

For better or worse, I associate joining the military with being a sheep of the establishment. I'd simply rather not supplant my judgment.

... but yeah, thanks for dying, guys and gals! I support all y'all!
You're welcome. The only reason you're free to publicly share such an opinion without legitimate fear of reprisal is due to those men and women who served. Also, the only reason we're having this conversation now is also due to the actions of the US Military (creators of the Internet).

FYI, I have never seen instances of aggressive recruiting. Just as Circ said, they are in strip Malls and other places and have booths at Fairs and events like that. No one is being "Shanghai'd" or being forced to serve.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:51 PM   #74
o_ekim

Maybe you don't understand the term "aggresive recruiting".

Old 11-23-2005, 04:04 PM   #75
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekiM
Maybe you don't understand the term "aggresive recruiting".
I think that it's skewed for your view. I suspect that any recruiting is going to be aggressive for someone in your view. Rather than me continuing to make an assumption, what would you consider "non-aggressive" recruiting?

Old 11-23-2005, 04:10 PM   #76
o_travis dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
The only reason you're free to publicly share such an opinion without legitimate fear of reprisal is due to those men and women who served.
Yes, the war in Iraq contributed greatly to your freedom of speech, as did the Patriot Act.

Quote:
Also, the only reason we're having this conversation now is also due to the actions of the US Military (creators of the Internet).
We're not having this discussion again. The US military did not create the internet as we know it now, but merely laid out a basic foundation, which, without the military, would've undoubtebly be laid anyway. Using the internet as an argument for the existence of the US military is almost offensive.

Old 11-23-2005, 04:25 PM   #77
o_ekim

Approaching people in public places or in their homes.

I can't say from personal experience whether this happens in the US so I'll have to judge from what actual US citizens say. Some of them say that they have seen aggressive recruiting. Some say they haven't. Assuming people aren't flat out lying I'd guess that sometimes US military recruiters are overly aggreasive and sometimes they are not.

And hey there's always that Michael Moore doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
All the recruiters we ever got did was set up a booth with "ARMY" or "MARINES" or "USAF" on it in big letters, sometimes with a TV to show a video, plenty of pamphlets, little gifts like lanyards or keychains, and they just sit there waiting for someone to get interested and come over. They never walked over to anyone and even so much as suggested coming over to the booth to look at stuff, let alone trying to make them join.
That's about what happens in this country (even lower key though) and that's acceptable. Apparently sometimes the US army employs stronger tactics to recruit, which I don't view as a positive thing.

All kind of irrelevant, I was just a little irked at your assault on the straw man. Nobody suggested people were being Shanghai'd into the US army. Why refute it?

Old 11-23-2005, 04:39 PM   #78
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Dane
Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
The only reason you're free to publicly share such an opinion without legitimate fear of reprisal is due to those men and women who served.
Yes, the war in Iraq contributed greatly to your freedom of speech, as did the Patriot Act.

Quote:
Also, the only reason we're having this conversation now is also due to the actions of the US Military (creators of the Internet).
We're not having this discussion again. The US military did not create the internet as we know it now, but merely laid out a basic foundation, which, without the military, would've undoubtebly be laid anyway. Using the internet as an argument for the existence of the US military is almost offensive.
The military has a deeper history than just the 15 years you've lived. If you're free to speak out on any subject you owe that fact to the presence of Military somewhere and somehow. In your case I suspect that goes back to the Allied Forces.

The Internet has it's origins in ARPANET period. It did not happen any other way.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:20 PM   #79
o_broodingdude

We all know that we would appreciate the military if our home countries were invaded.

Hell, I live just 94 miles away from the only part of the US that was officially attacked!

Pearl Harbor (Bay of Pigs).

Edit: I mean in a war-time type of setting... actually, I retract that. The first ever attack on the US.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:35 PM   #80
o_ekim

Quote:
The Internet has it's origins in ARPANET period. It did not happen any other way.
... which isn't the same as to say it could not have happened any other way. I think a global network of computers ws something of a historical inevitability.

Either way I don't see how it's relevant to a thread discussing recruitment methods.

Closed Thread