Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #61
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Tbh FF is fine as it is, the problem is not the gameplay on it, the majority of plp likes the gameplay as it is atm.

I see some new plp tryng FF almost everyday, and a lot of them like the mode a lot.

The problem is that when they return they only find empty servers,and a tiny comunity.

Thats the main problem with FF in my opion, cuse nobody wants to start to play a mode that as no comunity.

We need to put this on steam!

Clanstyle comunity is already dead in europe, and pub scene also very weak.
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #62
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
We need the perception that people are playing...we need the bots.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #63
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
Just be sure to mark this date as the day that Sobe and bokko agreed on something. We'll celebrate it next year with cake and tequila.
And two dollar whores from third world countries.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #64
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
Dustbowl is fixed for 2.1...if your referring to the shooting through the grates. Not sure what else you could be talking about.
I'm talking about building an SG in the building on gate 2 and having it not lock on to anyone coming through the gate.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #65
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
^thats fixed as well

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #66
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
the basis for A/D leagues and maps is dustbowl
There are AVD leagues!? Hell I'd join just so I could play AvD again.

Quote:
Dustbowl is fixed for 2.1...if your referring to the shooting through the grates. Not sure what else you could be talking about.
That's good to hear, it affected multiple spots:

description of bug

Also, will you restore the LUA so engineers have enough metal on dustbowl so they can build a sentry on spawn? As of 2.0, they have only 50 metal, I'm pretty sure that was an accidental change.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #67
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
We need the perception that people are playing...we need the bots.
We also need some kind of plausible deniability...like a singleplayer mode (and not just essentially playing the same MP shit but with bots), hint hint...
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #68
Blueiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jon
We also need some kind of plausible deniability...like a singleplayer mode (and not just essentially playing the same MP shit but with bots), hint hint...
Bruce Willis starring in Fortress Forever, the single player campaign?
Yes?No? Moar hints?
Blueiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #69
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Well, I don't really have anything else. I just think it'd be cool to do more with our TF than just the basic FPS multiplayer that everyone's done before. Singleplayer, thirdperson, some kind of RTS mode, sidecrolling, etc. But even in the standard mp mode we have now, I'd like to at least test out new abilities and equipment, as well as definitely brand new game types and maps. Annnnd, I definitely want to implement the map voting system similar to axlvote.

We just gotta do more.
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #70
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

I'd prefer most maps to start each class out with the max amount of health and armor. It seems very primitive to grab an ammo bag before I leave spawn in a game that is all about instant respawn and fast paced action. To top it off it confuses newer players because they don't see "Oh TFC was like this." they see "Why the hell is there an extra step to respawning?" This is something that carried over from TFC that wasn't really needed. Keep the ability to customize what each class spawns with for the mappers but give everyone max ammo, health, and armor (not grenades) at spawn on the FF official maps or at least set some standard. When there is a big game going on I'd rather not deal with bumping into all the players just so I can fire more than a few rockets.

I know there will be some people that for whatever reason rebel against this idea but thats the kind of evolution I'm talking about. Spawning with next to no ammo or armor makes zero sense. Why have the feature to discard ammo if you pretty much get none to begin with? Or remove bags in the spawn all together. Do something like TF2 with the "Cabinet" or like some of the FF maps where you just walk over part of the floor. There is no reason for someone to run along all of the walls in a respawn to get health, armor, and ammo. The less time someone is in respawn is less a chance I have to run into him or someone runs into me. It makes a D Engy 10x easier too.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2008, 12:23 AM   #71
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
^fair point.

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2008, 12:40 AM   #72
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jon
I'd like to see something like the single player mode offered in Unreal Tournament...I think it'd be a chance to teach people how to play particular classes and just add some depth
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #73
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
I'm liking where this is heading... the 'tournament' mode sounds like a good system to please both new and older players alike as the bots and maps can be adjusted to the skill level of the player. While for most players, the multiplayer experience cannot be replaced by any single player mode (unless it's totally different), it will help new players on their way fairly quick while vets can always play a game vs some superbots if they want.

And the respawn -> armor + ammo is a very good point.
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #74
fireb0rn

that would require a lot of work which (imo) should simply be put into making a better MP. the training thing being worked on should be good enough.
fireb0rn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #75
tu!

tfc.
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2008, 02:41 AM   #76
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
lawl
TF-TU!
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2008, 01:03 AM   #77
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
to comply with tu's commands, i think we need to:
make everyone run at 150 MPH
bhopping cap increased to over 300 percent
remove all guns, so we can focus on the REAL meaning of TFC. It's not a FPS, it's a FPMG! Thats right, First Person Movement Game!

what do you guys think?!?!?
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #78
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
to comply with tu's commands, i think we need to:
make everyone run at 150 MPH
bhopping cap increased to over 300 percent
remove all guns, so we can focus on the REAL meaning of TFC. It's not a FPS, it's a FPMG! Thats right, First Person Movement Game!

what do you guys think?!?!?
Increase in overall movement speed of all classes, removal of skimming, faster reload times on most weapons, and give all classes a definable role that doesn't consist of "stand here and wait for the enemy to come" or "go in, cause havoc, grab flag".

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2008, 07:25 AM   #79
EngeeMan
Banned

It's more of a problem of tastes of the gaming community changing. Initially you had these super-fast twitch DM games which were really popular. You took a beating, had ridiculous guns, flew all over the place, and were constantly in the action. This gave birth to TF which provided more structure to the "mindless" deathmatch.

Then came Counter-Strike. You moved slower, the guns were realistic, you died in very few hits, and once you died there was a significant penalty in having to wait for the next round. It absolutely blew up and gave rise to the realism-based trend of FPS where a lot of the time you couldn't even jump off the ground, or possibly be penalized for it.

Counter-Strike and its "TFC", Counter-Strike: Source are still immensely popular. When TF2 was released you could see a lot of the reflections of the shift in gamer's tastes: slower movement and penalties for being killed.

Now MMORPGs are dominating the PC gaming scene. And from the snippets of code in TF2 since the last patch it seems that they are thinking of shifting in that direction as well with random-stat weapon drops, acquired equipment screen, levels of equipment, grinding for reward, etc.

Much like popular movie genres and music styles come and go, so do gaming tastes. And you either play into that game, or you don't. I feel the topic at hand is really a conscious decision whether to appeal to a mass audience or to focus on something that just might not have the same ability to win over new players like it used to.
EngeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #80
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
I dont agree, if TF2 had the same gameplay of TFC it would had a huge sucess as well. Its more a matter of resources, design, publicity. I think that in order to FF to have a share of the tf comunity it have to go trought the TFC way,at least maintain the concs/grens/bhoping/sliding etc, i dont mind as a former tfcer if it ads some new stuff/classes etc etc, since it maintains the tfc spirit.

"there isn’t any overall art direction – the characters are rehashes of the uninspired TFC originals, and lack diversity. There isn’t much to distinguish a spy from a soldier if they’re more than a few metres away, and on certain models it can even be quite hard to tell what team they’re on. It’s also reasonable to wonder why such a light-hearted, unrealistic game has such gritty graphics – bases are covered in a layer of dirt and grime, while weapons look as if they could be found in a real American gun store. Not to mention that many of the maps feel completely out of place – Cornfield takes place in City 17, Citadel and all, while Monkey is positioned within some disused jungle ruins. The only time when the game looks right is on the generic-looking grey maps, because the generic-looking classes fit right in"
zE is offline   Reply With Quote