Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-15-2006, 07:45 PM   #41
o_own3r

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I personally think the ceilings issue is an important one,

I am requesting that the ceilings in the interior be made as tall as possible and that nothing on the ceiling clips with the player.

This allows concs etc to be executed to allow classes like the scouts to escape which is essential, as they are weak and pritty much defenceless.
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2006, 11:24 PM   #42
o_player

There are many accessible concs in Openfire, all of which are easy to do with no clipping problems in regards to the ceilings.

Crackerjack, I am glad you are sticking with the theme, it has a nice idea behind it and it looks good also; it is just a bit too dark and dull at the moment :P
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2006, 11:52 PM   #43
o_sensai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokko
Seriously, what's up with the essays? Few people can be arsed to read all that, this is an internet forum (Not intended for crackerjack).
Although I am a bit verbose, there is reason behind such a long post. If you don't feel like reading something so long, then don't read it. I don't post with you in mind, because frankly CrackerJack was asking for opinions, you weren't. I also found it necessary to make a hefty post because I think some people need to understand some of the possibilities that could arise because of their suggestions. What's the point of giving suggestions without putting some logical discourse behind it? I think its even more pointless to offer a suggestion without explaining the reasoning.

In any case, thanks Ohcanep, that picture is exactly what I was talking about.

With having an extra exit of the respawn to the middle of the water, I think you could both satisfy some balance between offensive and defensive positions.
o_sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2006, 07:45 AM   #44
o_alligator

Reason why I whore openfire_l and am the best at that map is because the gameplay is perfect, dont change anything. Only my opinion, hush and leave me alone.
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2006, 07:46 AM   #45
o_kam

you're the perfect player
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2006, 07:47 AM   #46
o_alligator

True.
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2006, 08:03 AM   #47
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam
you're the perfect player
Rofl.

I say leave the layout as it is anyway, the offence running through spam and into other offence isn't exactly a problem to be honest with you.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:04 AM   #48
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Oh I get it.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:24 AM   #49
o_uncle-argon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
Rofl.

I say leave the layout as it is anyway, the offence running through spam and into other offence isn't exactly a problem to be honest with you.
I think a lot of offy players would disagree with you

Ocaneps drawing shows the true layout of the map a lot better than mine and it makes the bypass look a lot more natural. I'd still prefer it to be moved to the end of that wall though...
o_uncle-argon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #50
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-Argon
I think a lot of offy players would disagree with you
All I can say to that is, they shouldn't; they should just dm their way through :P

I still don't think it is a problem at all so I don't think there should be an alternate route.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #51
o_uncle-argon

Quote:
All I can say to that is, they shouldn't; they should just dm their way through :P

I still don't think it is a problem at all so I don't think there should be an alternate route.
Seeing as it's a case of the enemy offy getting in your way, then dming isnt really an option seeing as mid mapping is almost universally regarded as going against clan style etiquette. It wouldn't be much fun for anybody (defences included) if both offy teams are just bogged down dming each other in the water. And as for dming the enemy def down there, 90% of the time you're just running at the lone hwguy at the end and hoping to conc past him to get to the flag/sg. The most important thing to know about the water is that its currently a crucial area for concing (attackers need to conc past the hw, the other team's attackers conc from the end of the water to the enemy base), and so packing it with bodies by making it a crucial attack point and also a frequently used exit isn't that great in terms of map design. I'm sure the map designer at the time wasn't aware of this as a problem, but now that it's become apparent, we've fortunately got an opportunity to fine tune the map so that it's more suited to clan style play.

Ultimately, I doubt very much that it's going to make life worse for anybody. For attackers, and particularly scouts like myself, it would be a very very welcome change and would take away an unnecessarily frustrating feature of the map.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #52
o_loader

I repeat:

Quote:
The flag/lift bug:

The flag gets thrown onto the lift, the lift gets activated, the flag falls udner the lift and cant be picked up.
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #53
o_foxtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Own3r
I personally think the ceilings issue is an important one,

I am requesting that the ceilings in the interior be made as tall as possible and that nothing on the ceiling clips with the player.

This allows concs etc to be executed to allow classes like the scouts to escape which is essential, as they are weak and pritty much defenceless.
Shouldnt be changed, the FR will be impossible to defend, SG's are blinded as it is with so many pillars
o_foxtrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #54
o_uncle-argon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrick
Shouldnt be changed, the FR will be impossible to defend, SG's are blinded as it is with so many pillars
Yeah, even as an offy I do agree with this. I think that flagroom is already pretty much open as it is, and it should take skill and practise to pull off the relatively precise concs you need to get to the flag. Even though I'm arguing for a little help for offy by removing the water way as a main base exit, the map itself is still pretty balanced and it wouldn't be much fun to pull off defence-cracking concs if its so open that anybody can do it without even really trying.

As long as its still possible to bend around the pillars when concing from the water, and as long as its still possible to conc from the fd corridor and bend up and around the switch corridor the flag, then I'll be happy with the concing potential.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:27 PM   #55
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-Argon
<Imagine Uncle Argon's large post here>
I know, the "dm your way through" was a joke; I know how to play :P I just think you are blowing it all out of proportion as it really doesn't need to be changed; it is just a bunch of offence players becoming upset because they get blocked and spammed that are complaing over this non-issue.

Did I mention I am an offence player? Well I am an offence player.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:40 PM   #56
o_sh4x

To me you're just a Player.

HAHAHAHAAA...
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2006, 07:00 PM   #57
o_crackerjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
I repeat:
Taking note of this problem. And we will make sure this does not happen in FF.

As for the alternate route, there seems to be a stalemate in whether to add it or not. So I think the only way to truly figure out which is better is to play it with the alternate route. So what I will do is gameplay test this with team and find out which one we would prefer to release to the public.
o_crackerjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #58
o_uncle-argon

Quote:
I know, the "dm your way through" was a joke; I know how to play :P I just think you are blowing it all out of proportion as it really doesn't need to be changed; it is just a bunch of offence players becoming upset because they get blocked and spammed that are complaing over this non-issue.

Did I mention I am an offence player? Well I am an offence player.
Ok, sorry. It's just there are a fair amount of people posting here who aren't familiar with clan play, I just assumed you were one of em. And you're right in saying that its not an amazingly significant issue, all I was saying is that it's the only problem that I can see with the map and is the only change that I think could be made to improve it.

Thanks for taking it into consideration Crackerjack, even if it doesn't work too well then I'm sure I'll enjoy the map without it just like i used to. Oh, and sorry for the long posts; I've peen pumping out history essays for the last few months and I haven't really got it out of my system.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:10 PM   #59
o_tercel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator
Reason why I whore openfire_l and am the best at that map is because the gameplay is perfect, dont change anything. Only my opinion, hush and leave me alone.
is that the reason?

i thought it was because of your wallhacks/aimbot/anticonc/bhop.dll

then again its probably just because you're so damn good

imo ofire layout is fine
o_tercel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #60
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensai
Wouldnt that make capping way too easy?
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote