Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2007, 11:37 PM   #41
Nurdbot

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
a fellow cornishman? truro ftw!

look out for me on the cornish live music scene.
You live in Truro eh? Lucky bugger. I'm stuck in the arse end part of Cornwall known as Liskeard.
Nurdbot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2007, 11:44 PM   #42
own3r
Custom mapper

Public servers don't have clan gameplay mate. They have more defence than you've had hot dinners, so we need these heavier classes which are you openly screwing over to get through to the flag. Without them its not a lot of fun, nuff said. Snipers don't affect the clan play as you said so disabling/limiting them has no baring on clanning.

If you want to make this map fun for public matches stick a booster accross the edge of the sniper balc, I dont care if you dont call it the same version but it certainaly would make it a lot more fun and give non concing classes a much needed boost to cope with the snipers and possibly saving scouts/medics a conc.
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 12:19 AM   #43
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
lol, cunnelatio, I liked the way I put it better It's a clanstyle map that I've tried to make as fun as I can for publics too without compromising it at all. My hope is that it will get more ppl interested in that type of fast paced offy gameplay, which is what I loved about TFC, by making it simple and accessible to do the basics while still retaining massive potential for depth of skills and strategies.

Btw, own3r, I think you misunderstood the things I was saying (for example, I wasn't saying that sniper changes don't effect clanplay on the map, I was actually saying the opposite and that they are an essential part of the balance needed to encourage the clanstyle gameplay that I want), but nm. Read my last post carefully, I tried to put down my basic thoughts there.

(that rly is my last answer now lol... back to topic pls!)

Last edited by caesium; 10-07-2007 at 12:25 AM.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 01:05 AM   #44
NewKleer

yeh aardvark is fine with snipers, for majority of offence youll just conc fron sniper deck so a sniper isnt gonna be that effective, and if they do manage to kill you, you only lose 5s since you only just spawned.
NewKleer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 01:35 AM   #45
Pon
Not choking. Yet.
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Demo/Def - Spy/Off
Gametype: Anything but yet more fucking CTF
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
Aardvark is a fun map. I'm not usually one for CTF maps (I prefer Dustbowl/Avanti style personally), but Aardvark is definitly one of the better CTF maps in my opinion. Good amount of options for both defence and offence.

Questions though... Why Aardvark? And why dont people bake in the ovens? :P

YOU GUYS REALLY SHOULD UPDATE YOUR STAFF LIST!
I haven't posted since 2010...

Preferable to death. But only just...
Pon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 03:02 AM   #46
Industrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunnelatio
also, we need an official version ofxpress
There is the unofficial ff_xpress_b1, but I really dont like how the midfield ramps and sides are done there.

Imo the ramps (yes ramps) could be ported right from the QWTF one; one on the right, one from right to left in the middle, and one on the left on the enemy side. I'd also fancy a techno lazer neon stuff look more then "grass in space". as for the midfield grey sides; would it be more fun if these were like miniature skate ramps, so that you get launched upwards instead of just drop off if you ever hit them? Its a crazy map to begin with =D
Industrial is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 05:46 AM   #47
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
For some reason, I expect the generator outside the security switch room to be detpackable and take down security.

I think that would take way too much time and effort for clanstyle play, but be a fun way to mess with the defense on a pub.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:59 AM   #48
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
yeah i actually tried to detpack the generator a few times when i first played it
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #49
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurdbot
You live in Truro eh? Lucky bugger. I'm stuck in the arse end part of Cornwall known as Liskeard.
haha

last time i was up that end of cornwall, i was in bude when newton faulkner was there. guess who's PA he used..

Old 10-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #50
Kapoentje

Overall: as I allready stated in another thread, I don't like green/red themed maps because of my disfunctional colour perception. Currently this means Monkey and 2morefort. I really hate having to leave the server because I can't tell friend from foe

Well: I agree with the advice allready given in this thread about the offence exit. Another thing which bothers me from time to time is the spawn turrent located above the water entrance. If it's active and people are clogging the pipe you'll lose a lot of HP or die fast. I'm not sure if it's ment to do that or just a side effect from the fact there is a spawn above the water entrance.
I love the idea of not being able to throw the flag through the sniper nest window, this really adds another dimension to the gameplay over the old TFC well, good job on this

Aardvark: definitly introduce a no_gren zone in the spawn, on publics it's a
camp fest for pyro's/hw's/whatnot throwing their grenades right in.

Shutdown2: A-Ok, good job.
Kapoentje is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #51
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rtigo
I think dustbowl was chaos due the lack of detail. I mean, it was... sand... rocks ... and a few buildings, but mostly still sand and rocks meaning no real theme. Currently, the new dustbowl is just visually distracting, which conflicts with the nostalgic dustbowl feel of it being so simple. Of course, gameplay elements also affect this feeling, but less I think.

And aardvark does need something in the middle. The yard is pretty big and without decent bhopping, sniping can be a breeze.
meh, i love the detail. i think its just becuz theres not enough people even playing dbowl. and, the damned SGs spot where it doesnt shoot needs to fixed. and the SGs with the re-locking over and over again needs to be fixed. then its fun again
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #52
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium
There are 3 routes in. Look at the map loading screen if you haven't figured out the layout yet. Also, I cba to go into details of sniper cover and alternative route timings etc atm, but there are very important gameplay reasons why it's all as it is right now.

Glad some ppl like the map tho. Plays rly great clanstyle imo (and fun on pubs now and then too ofc!)
The third route relies on the defenses being down.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #53
micron08

I don't have any opinions about the current maps, but I would like to suggest that a ROCK map be made. Seems everyone hates this map in TFC, but it was one of my favorites.
micron08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #54
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
i heart rock
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #55
A1win
Nutcracker

Send a message via MSN to A1win
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlisTer
The problem is that maps like dustbowl, monkey, crossover, .. make use of the simply implemented door trigger system, which seems to make use of onTouch to open the door. Hence, once you entered the trigger brush, the door closes after a while and standing inside the triggerbrush doesn't reopen the door.

Maps like shutdown, push, well, blis_2fort, flare, .. have overrrided the door systems by making use of onTrigger systems. Hence whenever you're inside the triggerbrush, the door gets the open command. You still see the doors trying to close a bit, but this should be fixed soon.
So why do they close in the first place? They could have Delay Before Close set to "-1" and they would stay open until triggered to close, which would be OnEndTouchAll (or oninactive in LUA).
A1win is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 11:44 AM   #56
Beavis

Here's my honest opinions:

Shutdown2

Well for one I think Shutdown is one of the best ports I've seen for any game period. Well done defrag(?). I wouldn't touch a thing at all, except from memory there are no train sounds. But at least they aren't deafening! Perfect as a map can get.

Well

I was, and still am, kind of disappointed in Well. I think the design and some areas of the map just don't make it yet...there are far too many curvy walls and the generic/bland futuristic feel to it that just really doesn't work - the theme just isn't there on Well yet.

It's also hard trying to move around as scout because I keep on getting stuck on the curvy walls and those damn front doors with the buttons!!! Once there are a few SG's crammed in those tight spaces near the enemy spawn, it's even worse. I miss the large spacious rooms that were in TFC.

However the new battlements (which was the roof in TFC) design is very good, the additions of the coloumns is good for snipers to hide behind. The battlements underneath don't work yet and the door pops up and looks as if it's a mistake. The yard is good and the green water is very good. Flagroom seems very oldschool, I'm assuming this was from more QWTF than TFC but it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the map, there's a 100% black roof too which kind of sticks out...however this is from memory, I might be wrong.

To summarise: the overall theme needs a bit more work - I can't work it out but it just doesn't sit well yet, some elements to the map need more work like the flagroom, the battlements (the inside one), the room next to the respawns. Better spawn protection!

To be honest, I quit whenever I see this map loading next. I don't know why, I loved the old well, this one just doesn't sit right with me yet.

2morforever

Haven't played too much of this map but this is another standout for me. Very well layed out and it plays very well. A bit too small for pub play on a full server but other than that it's great.

The only standout cons at the moment are sometimes as scout when you go to the flagroom, when enemy comes out of spawn the spawn turret frags you which is annoying. Also, when you're underwater you can't see the base, so when you swim up the world pops up. Just a little quirk.

Excellent map, very professional.

Aardvark

One of my favourite maps. The basements look very unfinished or just look out of place. Seems to be a sniper haven this map, I always get tagged or fragged when coming out of spawn! Maybe a little more foliage for protection. Maybe the yard should be slightly smaller too, it's hard to conc on the full and land on the pad. When you miss it sucks because you generally get sniped. The security switch is hard to get too sometimes, but that's probably the point.

Great map.

Push

Why bother? Seriously, it was a great conversion, but I'd rather see those map making talents on some better map. This one is beyond me, it was fun the first 10 minutes.... The amount of people that quit when this map turns on is a blow to FF I think.

2Fort

Best map evar!

Last edited by Beavis; 10-08-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #57
Ginger Lord
Retired FF Staff

Affiliations: Custard
Send a message via MSN to Ginger Lord
So the main complaint about Crossover is the main area is a bit too big?

Anything else?
Ginger Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #58
Beavis

Cornfield

Very true to the original, even down to the banners. The only real drawbacks to this map are cosmetic.

- The pure black ground under the corn
- Huge FPS killer on some setups, I see a lot of people complain about it.
- The Citadel and some of the HL2 elements still stick out a bit but I think I'm getting used to it.

It would've been nice to see a few little surprises on this map, but in all honesty it's very well done. Love cornfield.

Canal Zone 2

This one, theme wise, is the same to me as Well. It just isn't there at the moment - or maybe I have something against futuristic maps, an Industrial wasteland would've suited this more to the par I think..but that's probably just me. This is far more streamlined than it ever was in TFC which is great though and it's actually fun to try and cap, I love the new teleporters.
Respawn room looks very "empty". It doesn't really look like a base or something worthy of defending.

The other thing that I absolutely detest about this map is the steam ladders, they give me the shits.

Great map though (much better than TFC's version), but just needs some more development I think.

Deathmatch

Very fun. Getting up ontop of the map on those ledges to reach the grass is fun. When there are lots of people (true story, saw a pub server with this on default rotation), getting into enemy spawn and fragging them is great.

Dustbowl

I've got mixed feelings with this map. For one I commend the mapper for going with a unique theme, which makes it really stand out on it's own, like Cornfield does, but it's very FPS intensive and there are a few places where it could've been improved. But anyhow...this one is a fantastic map with a lot of detail but on the flipside - not everyone playing FF has a 8900GT! A cosmetic simplifying/downgrade wouldn't be a bad thing if it meant more players in the servers!

Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #59
Beavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lord
So the main complaint about Crossover is the main area is a bit too big?

Anything else?
I miss the full health backpack! You know, the one near the buggy lift were you could tease defenders defending their flag and hide without getting killed because you could hog the bag and take down many, many SGs!

But seriously, I *HATE* the lifts on crossover, the curvy ramps (what was wrong with the original TFC layout at the back there?) and the hole in the respawn, which I always fall down. I love the cold "wintery" feeling you get playing from this map though. The theme works quite well in this regard, although again - the lifts are very annoying.

Other than that, fantastic map. Very fun to play and I think the main area is a great size.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #60
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_frags
Anyway, their deathmatch mode has not gone unnoticed by me . . . . and DEVS...... I owe you big time for actually caring enough to put deathmatch into a "FREE" game.
Actually, all deathmatch modes are planned to be taken out for the upcoming game Fortress Forever: Deathmatch (aka FFM). It will be $9.99 on Steam.

srslyjokingherekthx.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote