Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #41
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
If TF2 is going to be such a drastic change from TFC and standard TF games in general, there will be no competition between the two. Which is definitely good for us.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #42
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit
Wow. As an outsider looking in, people like you make me want to play this mod less. If you're choosing to take his words out of context, you really don't hide the fact you're extremely biased towards one game and consequently never planned to give the other game a fair go.

I mean, the proof is in replying to a thread regarding an interview you hadn't even read

The TF2 article really looked cool to me. I have nothing against either FF or TF2, but I do notice a lot of overly defensive FF fans who do nothing but prematurely bash TF2 for being something you don't want it to be. Is that fine? Yeah (well not if you wish to build on your existing community); everyone's entitled to an opinion, but I just don't see the reasoning behind the logic.

Neither game should, nor probably will compete. They look too different. Yet they fall under the same family, and as such can only contribute greater numbers to the "Team Fortress" name and legacy.

I love seeing the developers supportive on this forum - it shows their head is in the right place. Sadly some mods don't have that level of respect and maturity.

To finish an opening post with my take on his comment:

(Yes I quoted the entire thing).

He's right - it's all relative. I really wouldn't have taken that as an insult unless I was looking for one, and even there he covers himself pretty well with his relativity statement; he's had so much more time playing TF2, I would expect him to enjoy that so much more.
dont take this one guy's post as the entire community. the silent majority of this community are probably open to try anything walker throws out.

the only thing that really bugged me was the distance he's keeping from the existing TFC community.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #43
GhOsT

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
the only thing that really bugged me was the distance he's keeping from the existing TFC community.
The TFC clan community is just a subset of the overall TFC community. A lot of what he says does in fact make sense in your standard pub server.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #44
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

as of late i'm not part of the clan community, i'm part of the pub community. i last clanned about 5 years ago. some of the changes he proposed really destroy what i love about TFC

Old 03-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #45
summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
dont take this one guy's post as the entire community. the silent majority of this community are probably open to try anything walker throws out.

Fair point. Though there have been a few more posts than just from him, however I don't intend on taking that as a representation of the entire FF community - just a pity every group attracts a few.

I think it's best to realise, especially when you see changes that potentially destroy what you love so much about TFC, is that TF2 is not TFC. Plain and simple; I know you probably understand this, but when you look at it, not one change in that will affect the TFC you know, love, play and support, nor should it affect FF.

People get far too attached, which is understandable with any level of support and dedication. However, changes that might destroy what you love about TFC, might accentuate what makes TF2 so damn fun to play. It's all assumptions and speculation at this point, and too early to say one way or another.

But, at the end of the day, if you're upset with things announced for TF2, you really gotta look at the bigger picture. It's a sequel, not a port, so things are bound to be different, and the game will play differently. If that can be construed as a bad thing, then parts of this community aren't really ready for the change they've been asking for
summit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #46
Norris
The Good German

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
good interview. wondering why do ppl think that he's wrong about the scout in general? I mean look at the clans? do we have 3 medic on offence or 3 scouts? Is that the way it's meant to be played? I think no. according to public play: I hardly see any scouts around on my public servers either. almost every other class is more used.
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #47
Vorm
Diver

Well those details just make me want to play it even more. Comedy value and all that.
This
Quote:
I still get sort of giddy when I look at it sometimes. Sometimes something is happening on screen, like the heavy weapons guy punching a sniper, it looks so great!
made me smile.

Love the knee jerk reaction pic. That just seems to sum up alot of the posts on this thread.
Vorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #48
GhOsT

Since everyone honed in on a few small parts of the interview I don't think anyone mentioned the kill cam yet. I loved that feature in Call of Duty and I'm glad to see that it will be in TF2. Instead of someone screaming HACKER after getting killed they can see just how stupid they were and how you actually killed them.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #49
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

yeah thats cool, as long as its skippable, which it probably will be

Old 03-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #50
GhOsT

If it's anything like the one in CoD you can just click your mouse and get back into the action.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #51
Uncle-Argon

I think it will probably turn out to be a good game in its own right, I just hope that it doesn't steal a significant number of players away from TFC or FF. I can't really see myself enjoying TF2 too much without the ability to conc as a scout; thats whats kept me playing at clan level for so many years.

The level of ignorance they show towards the existing clan community is frustrating, but, like somebody else said, it doesn't really make good business sense to appease a small community at the expense of attracting lots of new players.

It's all good for FF anyway, I guess.
Uncle-Argon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #52
Jayman
<insert funny comment>

Ok........

as I nderstand it. FF is basically a "remake" of TFC.

TF2 is a fortress style game and not a remake of TFC.

Therefore, it is going to be different. With different features, and different aims and goals.

Just accept it. It is not good or bad, and no "informed" decision can be made until both games are out.

Both games I think will attract a lot of interest when released, but I only think it is a really really really good thing the games are going in different directions.

Perhaps people need to think a little more before posting, but I guess thats hard for some whilst looking forward to the start of puberty!
Jayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #53
own3r
Custom mapper

The combination of FF to TF2 should please everyone, from the casual gamer to clan player. I just hope the casual gamer will be accomodated for in FF too, by way of tutorials and perhaps skills servers for bhoping, concing and such.
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #54
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

yeah, there's an autohelp system already in place, i think the lines are being written as we speak. i dont know how in depth it will be compared to TF2, but i'm sure valve will go to town with theirs.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #55
pizzahut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Stryder
Now all of a sudden they think, OMFGWTFZOR grenades lead to spam! Lets remove them completely (except for medic - conc, and demo - mirv).
Didn't they remove the medic's concs too?
pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #56
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzahut
Didn't they remove the medic's concs too?
I bet so since they're trying to remove the medic from his current offensive standing and place him in a support role instead.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #57
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valve
no concjumping
..we need to build maps that are fundamentally more playable than previous titles. When we build 20 maps for a multiplayer game or 100 or whatever, people are going to play five of them over and over again. They’re not going to play 100. They’re going to play five. What we have to do is figure out how to make five much more replayable, not 50...
Yeah.... 5 great maps.... can't wait

edit ...

Oh, and they will all play like warpath.

Last edited by 4est; 03-28-2007 at 05:46 PM.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #58
voipme
Fast

Interesting. I'm very curious to play this game. When I was reading the article, I at first was like "No grenades?", but then I realized something. TF2 isn't really my idea of Team Fortress. Sure, it has the classes from TF. But the gameplay is so radically different than what I grew up with that it has taken on a "new game" type of attitude. I truly feel that FF is going to be the sequel to TF, where as TF2 is more of the second cousin of TF. There's some distinguishing characteristics, but not enough to consider it family.

I definitely want to play it though.
voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #59
Bubbles
Bueno

I most probably wont play this game. The way that Valve has ignored the TFC community sickens me.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #60
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Wow. As an outsider looking in, people like you make me want to play this mod less.
I did not think that I would have to really explain myself when there was a general consensus that would make my anger understandable. But seeing as you are the "outsider looking in", as it were, then I shall endeavor to explain my views in a broader context.

Quote:
If you're choosing to take his words out of context, you really don't hide the fact you're extremely biased towards one game and consequently never planned to give the other game a fair go.
No, I am not choosing to take his words out of context. I am purposefully doing it for humorous effect. I am not extremely biased towards one game, not at all. I am, however, extremely biased against Valve for how they have treated the dedicated TFC community for the last 5 years or so by tinkering with the gameplay and adding stuff that should never have been there in the first place (READ: teleporters).

Quote:
I mean, the proof is in replying to a thread regarding an interview you hadn't even read
Let us see here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Without yet reading over the article, I can say that they are going for the more "newbie friendly" environment and saying "fuck you" to the entire existing community.
-one post later-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Okay after reading over their review and all, I like the direction they are taking. I still believe that they are abandoning the old community with the changes they are making.
Quote:
The TF2 article really looked cool to me. I have nothing against either FF or TF2, but I do notice a lot of overly defensive FF fans who do nothing but prematurely bash TF2 for being something you don't want it to be. Is that fine? Yeah (well not if you wish to build on your existing community); everyone's entitled to an opinion, but I just don't see the reasoning behind the logic.
Okay then, I shall explain the reasoning behind the logic. Team Fortress has been basically played one way a certain way for a long time, almost ten years now. It has been through probably almost a dozen iteratons (offhand, QWTF, TFC, NeoTF...). Every time, though small changes were made, the gameplay was pretty much the same.

Now Valve comes up a few months ago and says "Hey, not only did we take almost ten years to make the next version of your beloved game, but we are going to rip its guts out and build FrankenFortress". The traditionalist players are understandably pissed.

Why? Well, let me put it like this. Some people have been playing for years now and they have gotten very good at certain skills. While most of them do not expect the skills to translate 100%, they would still like to be able to apply them to a new game and learn the new mechanics behind it.

Take concing, for instance. Valve is taking it out of TF2. Ergo, they are essentially saying "fuck you" to all of the concjumpers, past and present, because they want to make the game more newbie friendly. Rather than do what FF is going to do (bucketloads of help and a strong, supportive community), they are just taking it all out. Now those concjumpers lose a part of their skillset in TF2, so why would they want to play it?

Quote:
Neither game should, nor probably will compete. They look too different. Yet they fall under the same family, and as such can only contribute greater numbers to the "Team Fortress" name and legacy.
They should not, but they will. Take clanning, for instance. Clanning requires at least 3 hours of your time per week (at least one practice, one match, and the time in-between). Most people barely have time for clanning for one game, much less two. This means people will have to choose between one of the two.

I will concur with you that both games (would have been three, if it were not for Quake 4 Fortress going down the pooper >: ) will add to the legacy, however.

Quote:
I love seeing the developers supportive on this forum - it shows their head is in the right place. Sadly some mods don't have that level of respect and maturity.
I have no idea what you mean about the "mods who don't have [a] level of respect and maturity", but anyway, this is another advantage FF has over TF2. TF2 does not really have a dedicated forum where just about anyone can ask the devs and beta testers a question and get it answers (and subsequently be ridiculed by a few smart asses like me d: ).

Do I even have to mention that FF will be free, while you have to buy the "Black Box" (Which I will hereafter refer to as the "Cack Box") to play TF2?

And FYI, I will still try out TF2 and maybe even play it a bit. I am going to buy the Valve Complete Pack (or whatever the fuck it is called) and get pretty much all of their games (right now, I only have the games from Half Life Anthology; I do not yet have a debit or credit card, although my debit card will be coming in the mail in the next two or three days ^.^ ). Obviously I am going to buy the Cack Box so I can get Episode 2, and I am somewhat interested in playing Portal; it looks like a fun gimmick (but not much more beyond that).

Quote:
He's right - it's all relative. I really wouldn't have taken that as an insult unless I was looking for one,
Well, I did not take that DIRECTLY as an insult. The phrase "Adding insult to injury" would be more appropriate for this scenario.

Example: Let us say I tell you "Hey, wanna go for a jog in the park?" A completely innocent statement, right? But what if you were a paraplegic? All of a sudden it becomes a grave insult. Now here we are with a company that is changing a game that tens of thousands of people played and love (and many of them STILL play it after almost TEN years, so obviously they at least LIKE it, if not LOVE it), and they say it is a crappy game? Yeah, that is why I throw my civility out the window. Fuck you Valve.

Normally I do not go to these lengths to explain myself to anyone, but I did not want my sole actions to give you the impression that everyone in this community is like me when I am pissed off in jest. Sorry for the long post, but this was as concise I could be without sacrificing the necessary details of my points.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote