Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #561
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

*fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap*

*pants change*

Old 05-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #562
-=bingo-bango=-
Spirit Studios

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Blue Team
Send a message via AIM to -=bingo-bango=- Send a message via MSN to -=bingo-bango=-
As I look at these maps that the devs made and some of the community has made (like urs), ur just going to make us suck at playing. Do you honestly have any idea how distracted we will be with ur guys work?

Old 05-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #563
BumGravy
Black Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
I'd say keep working your way up on the redesign - the blocky roof of the 'parthenon' type building seems a weird contrast to the well-textured curvy bottoms.
And looking at shot 3, there seem to be some weird collisions between the architecture. Where the blue curvy top runs into the spherical side, and where you have to 'step up' on to the platform on the right. Seems odd in contrast with the flat, blocky floor which goes up to them. And on shot 3, I see a floating ball through the columns on the center-right. mer?
Still working on the redesign, your right Im "sourcing up" the roof too, just In the middle of doing that. The floating ball is because I've only done half the base front, not copied and pasted until its done.

just done a fast compile to see how close I am to the limits - 85% brushes and brushsides so I can still get the bits i want finished.

thanks for your encouraging comments, Ill have more updates in the next few days, hopefully.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:57 PM   #564
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Be sure to add boots and shoes on top of the roof.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #566
luminous

:O

i want to have a run around

Old 05-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #567
Titan`

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
I must say this is really nice... good job!!

Old 05-29-2007, 05:06 PM   #568
own3r
Custom mapper

Some props:
Looks good I really like how its going keep up the good work, I want your babies.

Constructive feedback:

Skybox fog distance needs to be increased so its a slight effect, I cannot see it but if the fog colour is not complimentary to the 2d skybox then that could be addressed.

Architectural style is still a confused mishmash of classical pillars and orbs on pedestals then an abundance of curves thrown in for good measure a more unified theme may be in order.

Also the midsection of the map appears totally different from both the beginning and the end, both of which are also quite different. (almost like a journey through time as you go through the map?)

http://usera.imagecave.com/bumgravy3/18.jpg
This shot is very busy random coloured lighting, spotlights and dustmotes all in a single space. The architecture is also quite plain inaccessible areas and openings/breaking up of walls is always good and an excuse to add arches etc. You can use some of these effects to highlight detail rather than filling space and obtain a really nice effect.

http://usera.imagecave.com/bumgravy3/13.jpg
How many entrances? must be at between 5 and 6, are people supposed to defend that?

http://usera.imagecave.com/bumgravy3/0.jpg
why is there a fountain?

http://usera.imagecave.com/bumgravy3/1.jpg
Random barn?

http://usera.imagecave.com/bumgravy3/5.jpg
Displacement error right there, random jeeps?

http://usera.imagecave.com/bumgravy3/8.jpg
Roof supports like those seen towards the right don't seem to fit at all.

http://usera.imagecave.com/bumgravy3/9.jpg
Product placement...

http://usera.imagecave.com/bumgravy3/15.jpg
Not really in line with the already confused theme

http://usera.imagecave.com/bumgravy3/20.jpg
Wow another theme, make the map like this last area as a whole?

Old 05-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #569
Beetle
Beta than eva'

I would have to agree with most of those comments, own3r, but without actually playing it, the comments about layout are useless unless we run through it. If you have, then yea, I 'll shut up now.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #570
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Imbrifer
I agree with own3r's comments. I dig the theme in your ending area, and you're doing a good job at prettying up the rest - especially the grande front parthenon-like entrance - but it feels uncomfortable because of the changing themes.
I'm really not feeling the barn or even the whole outside area at that point - it seems quite blocky. I don't know if you've attended to this area in your revisions yet, but it doesn't seem to go with your masterful style at the last area.

Hell, make a 2nd map where you just copy and flip the last area with all that sexy curviness, and make it a CTF or rock2style map

Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #571
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
>Valve.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #572
barronofhellion

awesome stuff, can you post your vmt text on the self illuminating texture the one for the blue lights ? i need to know how to do it for my map ? tia -edit ooo oo also imo i would decrease the skybox fog or, increase the actual map fog

Last edited by barronofhellion; 05-30-2007 at 07:25 PM.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:11 AM   #573
Racer

This efffect and area looks great. The map is amazing to look at.
http://usera.imagecave.com/bumgravy3/0.jpg

Old 05-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #574
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
That's better than orgazmic

Old 05-31-2007, 01:03 PM   #575
barronofhellion

bum: maybe my last post didn't sound right, i know how to do a $selfillum texture but how do i do a light emmiting texture ? i dont see it in the list of stuff on the wiki ...or is that just 1000 lights !??!

Old 05-31-2007, 03:19 PM   #576
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

BTW; Rather offtopic this one... I'd like to know what texture you used (or are using) as the blue forcefield in one of the caps. Tried to find a picture but it seems that your other imagecave account has been ?deleted? and thus it could be rather hard.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:00 AM   #577
BumGravy
Black Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by barronofhellion
bum: maybe my last post didn't sound right, i know how to do a $selfillum texture but how do i do a light emmiting texture ? i dont see it in the list of stuff on the wiki ...or is that just 1000 lights !??!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
BTW; Rather offtopic this one... I'd like to know what texture you used (or are using) as the blue forcefield in one of the caps. Tried to find a picture but it seems that your other imagecave account has been ?deleted? and thus it could be rather hard.
Im assuming you guys are talking about the same thing here, which is the shield surrounding the final cap point. I used a combine forcefield model - HL2 stock model which is actually an upright cylinder, I have just rotated it to be horizontal, and buried it in the ground. Not very economical, but i think it looks good. It just has a couple of blue lght entites in it to give it a little glow.

The comments so far are as always much appreciated. With regards to the themes however, from the start I wanted to design this map with three seperate areas, and the different themes are intentional. I want the three different cap point areas to be unique in terms of gameplay and overall feel as well as aesthetics. I intended for the map to get more comlicated and stylish not only in terms of architecture and detail, but also in terms of gameplay. I want the player playing it for the first time to load it and go "Ok this is cool" with the whole teleporter thing, to then be gradually more impressed with the scenery as well, until the final point, which is the most visually impressive and also - hopefully - most interesting to play.

This vision might not be entirely realised, but I have put a lot of work into this - remember, this is my first map for Source - and I intend to work on it until it plays exactly how I want it to. Which is fun. And secondly, pretty. If possible, both.

In terms of release, this map has been keeping up pretty much with FF. Which means "Soon, but not now". I hope you like it when it's done.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #578
barronofhellion

acutually blister helped me out , all you have to do is make your lights.rad in the folder of the game your compiling for , not read only, open it with notepad , add a line break (press enter after the last file listed inside it) and type the path of the file you want emitting light and the values
blablamymapnamefolderstuff\lighttexture 255 255 255 300 <--- numbers for color r g b (a = brightness)
althought it did take me about 2 hrs to find out that because i didn't press enter after the last file that was listed in there is why it wasn't working

Old 06-03-2007, 03:48 AM   #579
Agret

Send a message via ICQ to Agret Send a message via AIM to Agret Send a message via MSN to Agret Send a message via Yahoo to Agret Send a message via Skype™ to Agret
Quote:
Originally Posted by own3r
http://usera.imagecave.com/bumgravy3/13.jpg
How many entrances? must be at between 5 and 6, are people supposed to defend that?
I'm guessing either the top 2 or the middle 2 lead to a resupply and I guess the other 4 all goto a central area.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #580
BumGravy
Black Cyclops

Good guessing you nailed it. Need to put lasers on the very bottom routes, those ones go to resupply.

Closed Thread