Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #4821
o_cap

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Jesus.

FF team,

An update doesn't necessarily have to be significant, or big. Give us _one_ new screenshot for Pete's sake, and maybe tack on a lil', "Sorry things have slowed down, but rest assured, we're still hard at work" etc. message.

Seriously. Out of the thousands of FF page-browsers, there are literally hundreds of us who check it _several times a day_. Seeing the same "I wish you all a warm, six-shootin', wild-west welcome to Dustbowl Valley. Grab yourself a drink..." etc. every _single_ time, hour after hour, for days, for weeks, months, it's maddening.

It's not an understatement, I think I speak for the vast majority when I say we would be happy with _ONE_ god damned new screenshot.

Hell, make it a screenshot of a map/object/class we've already seen before, but at a different angle, or whatever. I'm not kidding.

We understand that releasing a "it's going to take slightly longer than expected" update with a token screenshot won't look pretty on your track record, but, guys, it's time to face the facts. Just be honest about it, be good natured, and show your supportive community some appreciation. Please.

Bring on the "you have no right to bitch about a game that's free" yadda yadda, and that's cool. Consider this though: I only want consistency. It's okay to be a callous and careless independent developer. Not updating is also okay.

What gets me is that the FF team projects the image that they care about their fans, while not doing a single thing to stimulate interest for weeks after weeks. It's the contradiction that gets me.

I guess I made my point.

Just throw us a freakin' bone guys. :-/

-Cap
o_cap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #4822
o_p@steymofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap
Hell, make it a screenshot of a map/object/class we've already seen before, but at a different angle, or whatever. I'm not kidding.
Seriously. You guys have no idea what kind of Britney Spears you are to us eager 14 year olds looking for a role model. We'll pounce at any chance to praise you for anything you do and say that it's work from the hand of god. Any screenshots at this point are signs of divinity.

Get rid of your tantric silence and throw us a boner.
o_p@steymofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #4823
o_tyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap
FF team,

...show your supportive community some appreciation...

-Cap
Well said. The dev team should show more appreciation to its audience. It really seems like they don't care what the community wants, that they throw a shrugging shoulder and say "Who cares?" Sure they could ask us to show some appreciation but alas, that will be done once the game is released. If someone at least plays the game, that in itself is appreciation. And I'm sure there will be oodles of appreciation shown by the audience once the game is released.

Last edited by o_tyrus; 11-03-2006 at 05:32 PM.
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #4824
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
we recently made some progress on some cool unnamed stuff...I don't know if it's something we'll show before release though, but so far it's been gobs of fun :P
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #4825
o_psycnet

You are selfish pricks and I hope your penises rot off.

I hope you all have ungrateful children that don't one lick about the 10-hour shifts you pull or the money you saved for their education.

I hope you all grow old and are piled into a retirement home where you will never again speak to anyone under 60 who is not a nurse or aide because you can't do anything for anyone else anymore.

I hope you all realize that it's just as maddening for everyone else to see the same thing multiple times per day, but we can contain our displeasure and act like adults, accept the fact they are doing it their way, not ours.

The dev team cares so fucking much about this community they havee collectively invested thousands of man hours doing everything it takes to release this mod. Just because they don't want to satisfy impatient, immature and ungrateful fuckwads every second week does not make them bad people. It makes them rational, which makes me have the utmost respect for their effort.

They have earned their tenure, now let them fucking make the mod sans harassment.
o_psycnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #4826
o_tyrus

What a totally out of line post! You might want to wipe the brown off your nose. Flaming is always out of line, even in a BAUT. Also, if the devteam viewed this thread as harassment, it would have been locked long ago.

Last edited by o_tyrus; 11-03-2006 at 05:26 PM.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:44 PM   #4827
o_psycnet

Fuck like what I say is going to put me in any special favor with anyone, let alone the devs.

They probably find me just as acerbic and retentive as the people who complain all day, so don't think my attack dog attitude has anything to do with garnering a special post or something equally asanine.

This has everything to do with people not facing up the fact that finding community with other people who can't wait for the life of them is pretty damn annoying for the rest of us who have the ability to wait longer than 2 years for something worth waiting for.

Essentially, you are spitting in their face and telling them their work is pointless if they don't do it revolving aroudn your personal time schedule.

Well guess what sunshine, life goes on, whether you are here or not.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #4828
o_mescalito

will be media?
o_mescalito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #4829
o_lobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISH
we recently made some progress on some cool unnamed stuff...I don't know if it's something we'll show before release though, but so far it's been gobs of fun :P
Its a clue! It has to do with "gobs". Maybe its a gob gun! I can't wait!
o_lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 08:05 PM   #4830
o_dancingfool

Seems like a few people here should read the dev journals. Especially cap. Goddamn, don't you have anything else to do? Apparently not if your this impatient and angry about a mod.
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #4831
o_swampthing

will ff out?
o_swampthing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 08:58 PM   #4832
o_dancingfool

Yes, but the question is when ff will out...
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #4833
o_tyrus

Why do you sound like someone spilled your kool-aid? Do I have to make a "Bitch about the BAUT thread"? I can make one just for you my little buttercup. If you can't stand people pushing the dev's to make more progress, then you should just put this whole thread on ignore.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #4834
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrus
Why do you sound like someone spilled your kool-aid? Do I have to make a "Bitch about the BAUT thread"? I can make one just for you my little buttercup. If you can't stand people pushing the dev's to make more progress, then you should just put this whole thread on ignore.
you're pushing the dev's to make more progress by whining about the absence of fluffy pictures? mmm hmm
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 09:57 PM   #4835
o_tyrus

Whining over an update 1 week after another is a bit much, but whining over an update thats 2 months from the last isn't much. And yes, fluffy pictures are infinitely better than nothing. Is it that hard to understand that the community is upset over being forced to wait so long for an update?

Oh and I guess I should restate a little of my last post. Change from "make a little progress" to "show a little" progress. I know you guys have made progress, which is why its baffling as to why you don't show it off. Maybe showing off the progress would make your community grow. The more updates shown, the more energy there will be amongst the community.

Last edited by o_tyrus; 11-03-2006 at 10:07 PM.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #4836
o_psycnet

They don't show it off because they don't owe you shit.

The complainers are a very small part of the community, because a larger portion don't post here, or just lurk.

Please don't speak for the rest of us when you say we're upset over lack of updates.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:35 PM   #4837
o_tyrus

I guess being this thread is the MOST active thread in these boards shows that the community is actually quite happy with the slow updates.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #4838
o_sh4x

Give me some and I'll want more!
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 11:38 PM   #4839
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
What's the HWGuy look like?

Old 11-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #4840
o_cap

Tyrus is right of course, but naturally there'll always be people who can't resist the allure of unjustified self-righteousness. "Learn the virtue of patience, child." *pantomimes fun-sucking, Malvolio-like contempt*

They're like those people who, when it's 40 degrees F outside, scathingly accuse their friends of being loser/wimps for wearing coats. "What, you're cold?!" Yeah---and so are you, asshole.

These people are all but invincible in their obnoxiousness, blind to the coup de grace: it's a thread _dedicated_ to this topic. What an astonishing poverty of self-esteem, to be driven to chastise about complaints _here_. (Watch in amazement as even this falls on deaf ears.)

As for the lack of updates, and PHISH's oblique, semi-sarcastic response, again, Tyrus hit it on the money. Something _is_ better than nothing.

Hoping no one will notice the lack of progress isn't a sound strategy for attention-retention. Don't evade facts; don't hide under the covers. Sure, the die-hards will wait out the drought, but what about the very real fact that many fans who were on the fence have now been drawn to the TF2 forums for good?

Just face the facts, admit the retardation of progress with dignity, and throw us a bone, no matter how small. Sure, it'll sting, but man up, and swallow some pride---it's not that bad. The FF fanbase will respect you for it.

Thank you for your consideration.
o_cap is offline   Reply With Quote