Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 08-11-2005, 02:36 PM   #21
o_stino

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaMIKazE
Much better screenies than the first lot, they actually show something
Looking good, I can see your work on badlands has improved your mapping skill. Would like to know what style of map it is too since it looks a bit linear/big to be recognised as ctf at this point. Looks like it could be gas release, or even escape map ;o

I agree with Circuitous on the brightness factor.
there was no outdoor when i took the first screens

its gonna be a bit like dustbowl, but when they captured the last flag the team will switch instead of the map

here are shots from some new things

o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 05:35 PM   #22
o_azlan

I'm very impressed with those screenshots, they look terrific.
o_azlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 PM   #23
o_imbrifer

/me cracks knuckles

Looks great. You definitely have done very well with outdoor areas and rocks. You've made the buildings look solid and you have given them a true fortress feel (though I must say I'm damn sick of those gray textures in all the maps people post on the forums.. grr)

Starting at the top:
First screenshot looks very pretty, but plain. The long hallway can get boring running through if you don't have some things in it to spice it up. Try ladders that go to locked doors, locked doors in general, grates, pipes, etc. The lighting and coloring look fantastic.

The second shot has very blocky looking arches, and the lighting looks off with bright rocks and dark center hallway. Consider using more faces on the arches (and maybe beefing them up a bit), altering the lighting and even changing the grate texture used - it seems very pixely. I think the lights look a bit out of place just stuck on the walls, but that may be that this shot is at an odd angle. You do the glow around the lights perfectly, though.

The elevator shot seems 'cut off' with the arch just ending and a random square elevator being placed at the end. Maybe add a border or some curves to make the hallway not just 'stop'. The elevator looks alright.

The next shot, with the blueish-green lighting looks great. The 'nice architecture blueish green room' feel is sort of cut up by the brown pipe, though. The hole and ladder look in place, but I'd consider retexturing the pipe (or the room) so they go together a bit more fluidly.

Next series... The general outside of the map is very dark. The dark midnight feel goes very well with the yellow lights, but I'd find it irritating to see things when its that dark. Maybe put in some lights people could turn on/off or kick up the lighting just a tad?

With the first shot in this series, the bridge looks solid as does the front of the base - but the arch in the arch entrance looks cut by the block that cuts into it. I'd suggest drawing the block back so it ends at the end of the window, making it go all the way across the entrance, or making it follow the arch. Beyond that, this shot is solid.

Next shot the rocks look great, but it's hard to see much else besides them because of the darkness and the layout.

The canyon looks great in the next shot, but the platform looks blocky in contrast to the rest of the base as we've seen it. The scaffolding and upper railing look dandy, but maybe add some brushwork to make it more than just a rectangular pillar?

The lake looks great, but some of the rock textures repeat visibly, so watch out for that. Next shot looks dandy as well.

The battleroute connection shot looks good - i dig the rocks and the water, but again the entrance looks like a blocky hole in the wall to me. Not to mention that the gray concrete textures (walls and floor) are still killing me :-/

Next shot looks solid, but it's hard to tell fully because its so dark.

The flyby view of the exit looks keen - you've done well with the base architecture and all that. The windows look like holes (some borders or more fluid architecture might help) to me, and it'd be nicer to get a closer look of the thing.

Sniper nest and battleroute shot. Right above the nest there appears to be a displacement error. Beyond that, the structure in the distance still looks blocky, and everything else looks tasty. Can't wait to climb those rocks and snipe people hiding in the water. Looks like great fun from both O and D perspectives.

Next shot: the rock is almost obnoxiously huge. It sort of gives me the 'could a rock like that really exist at that angle?' I suggest making it a bit shorter, and the angles at the top look blocky. The base in the distance looks good, but the windows seem like empty holes.

The Indoor main hall looks alright, but the horizontal bars seem to come and go out of nowhere, and they seem at odds with the wall textures. The angles of the arches seem blocky, but the general design, pipes and lighting are solid.

skipping total overview..

Third set of shots:
Last flyby shot looks good. Again, the windows seem just like cut holes, but overall it looks delectable.

Next set of shots: I'll only touch on the first one, since the other 2 seem to look fine beyond what I've mentioned already. Is that a random pole sticking out of the wall in the upper left of this shot? I can't tell... Anyway, the general architecure looks good, but the blockyness is reminiscent of HL1 architecture. I'd suggest rounding some of the corners or adding a border or something here and there.

Once polished, I could see this map easily becoming a general favorite. Keep up the great work!
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 07:19 PM   #24
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
/me cracks knuckles

Looks great. You definitely have done very well with outdoor areas and rocks. You've made the buildings look solid and you have given them a true fortress feel (though I must say I'm damn sick of those gray textures in all the maps people post on the forums.. grr)
gray textures, do you mean not team colored? thats becouse the official textures aren't finished

Quote:
Starting at the top:
First screenshot looks very pretty, but plain. The long hallway can get boring running through if you don't have some things in it to spice it up. Try ladders that go to locked doors, locked doors in general, grates, pipes, etc. The lighting and coloring look fantastic.
ok, details coming on

Quote:
The second shot has very blocky looking arches, and the lighting looks off with bright rocks and dark center hallway. Consider using more faces on the arches (and maybe beefing them up a bit), altering the lighting and even changing the grate texture used - it seems very pixely. I think the lights look a bit out of place just stuck on the walls, but that may be that this shot is at an odd angle. You do the glow around the lights perfectly, though.
think i will try to do it different, don't find it maching the outside

Quote:
The elevator shot seems 'cut off' with the arch just ending and a random square elevator being placed at the end. Maybe add a border or some curves to make the hallway not just 'stop'. The elevator looks alright.
the elevator is a little to high, but that direction isn't finished yet (flagroom should come on the upper floor to)

Quote:
The next shot, with the blueish-green lighting looks great. The 'nice architecture blueish green room' feel is sort of cut up by the brown pipe, though. The hole and ladder look in place, but I'd consider retexturing the pipe (or the room) so they go together a bit more fluidly.
actually i don't like the lighting, and the room is still empty :d

Quote:
Next series... The general outside of the map is very dark. The dark midnight feel goes very well with the yellow lights, but I'd find it irritating to see things when its that dark. Maybe put in some lights people could turn on/off or kick up the lighting just a tad?
thats why i'm experimenting with the floodlights (should they need to be destroyable by the demomand and repearable by the engineer?)

Quote:
With the first shot in this series, the bridge looks solid as does the front of the base - but the arch in the arch entrance looks cut by the block that cuts into it. I'd suggest drawing the block back so it ends at the end of the window, making it go all the way across the entrance, or making it follow the arch. Beyond that, this shot is solid.
i've tried to make that arch in the 2 levels of the base itself, but that made some invalid structures, so i will try to do that door in another way

Quote:
Next shot the rocks look great, but it's hard to see much else besides them because of the darkness and the layout.
you see it in the flyby view of the base exit :d

Quote:
The canyon looks great in the next shot, but the platform looks blocky in contrast to the rest of the base as we've seen it. The scaffolding and upper railing look dandy, but maybe add some brushwork to make it more than just a rectangular pillar?
how?

Quote:
The lake looks great, but some of the rock textures repeat visibly, so watch out for that. Next shot looks dandy as well.
repeat stopped (alignment issue)

Quote:
The battleroute connection shot looks good - i dig the rocks and the water, but again the entrance looks like a blocky hole in the wall to me. Not to mention that the gray concrete textures (walls and floor) are still killing me :-/
like i said before, there are no official textures, and i'm not a texture artist

Quote:
Next shot looks solid, but it's hard to tell fully because its so dark.
Solid? where are you talking about?

Quote:
The flyby view of the exit looks keen - you've done well with the base architecture and all that. The windows look like holes (some borders or more fluid architecture might help) to me, and it'd be nicer to get a closer look of the thing.
how about adding some glass in it?

Quote:
Sniper nest and battleroute shot. Right above the nest there appears to be a displacement error. Beyond that, the structure in the distance still looks blocky, and everything else looks tasty. Can't wait to climb those rocks and snipe people hiding in the water. Looks like great fun from both O and D perspectives.
that aren't the best rocks to camp there are rocks where you can get totaly in between them, i'ts very very hard to see you there, but as compensation: no long range view (or else it whould get unbalanced)

Quote:
Next shot: the rock is almost obnoxiously huge. It sort of gives me the 'could a rock like that really exist at that angle?' I suggest making it a bit shorter, and the angles at the top look blocky. The base in the distance looks good, but the windows seem like empty holes.
i've seen a rock like that in Fance, so it's not that realistic, but i could resize it :s , oh no, its a prop!

Quote:
The Indoor main hall looks alright, but the horizontal bars seem to come and go out of nowhere, and they seem at odds with the wall textures. The angles of the arches seem blocky, but the general design, pipes and lighting are solid.
overlays with some rust will come at the end of the bars

Quote:
skipping total overview..

Third set of shots:
Last flyby shot looks good. Again, the windows seem just like cut holes, but overall it looks delectable.
so, what do you say about glass

Quote:
Next set of shots: I'll only touch on the first one, since the other 2 seem to look fine beyond what I've mentioned already. Is that a random pole sticking out of the wall in the upper left of this shot? I can't tell... Anyway, the general architecure looks good, but the blockyness is reminiscent of HL1 architecture. I'd suggest rounding some of the corners or adding a border or something here and there.
pole?, no its a car

Quote:
Once polished, I could see this map easily becoming a general favorite. Keep up the great work!
thank you hmm, spend about 15 minutes on answering this :d

Old 08-11-2005, 07:32 PM   #25
o_broodingdude

I think he was talking about adding those little balconies to the windows, or some framing, or curvy sexiness to them.

o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 07:39 PM   #26
o_imbrifer

You will perish in flames, brood...

Anyway, glass might work. Give it a shot :)

As for making the blocky pillar less blocky, maybe make the part where the scaffolding holds on somewhat blocky and make the rest somewhat cyllindrical? Maybe add some indents or out-dents, or trim the corners down a bit or add some pipes going up/down? dunno..

I don't know about making the light destroyable - I think youd have to test it in beta. Maybe make it so when it explodes, the light flies off into the distance and you hear a faint scream? Muahahahah...

Anyhow, keep up the good work :)
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 09:56 PM   #27
o_cruor

The map looks awsome, the hallway definently needs some pipes, wiring etc. but other then that it looks great.

I'm seeing some excellent conc-moves in that map so keep up the good work.
o_cruor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 10:57 PM   #28
o_vertical

I agree, awesome looking map, and where you said "its a car" I think he was talking about how in the shot with the car, if you look at the top left corner of the image, there is (what looks to be) a steel pole sticking out of the displacment. My guess is that its a wire strung accross the water? Anyhow, I love the map, looks to be a favorite
o_vertical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2005, 06:45 AM   #29
o_stino

and, no, its not steel, its a part of a tree prop

Old 08-12-2005, 07:54 AM   #30
o_robg

That looks awesome. And I love the idea of a game dynamic where you can alter the lighting, so you have engies trying to the repair the lights so you can see to defend, but if the flag carrier is coming in hot you can break your own lights so any chasers can't get him
o_robg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #31
o_stino

Most issues are fixed

Old 08-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #32
o_etzell

I can picture that elevator being camped. Constantly.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #33
o_drtom

so dont use it or emp it or something :P
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #34
o_donny

Nice stuff you got there m8
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2005, 07:07 AM   #35
o_stino

maybe possibility to blow up elevator and get it reapeared by engineers?

Old 08-13-2005, 10:00 AM   #36
o_loader

I love it tbh
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2005, 04:24 PM   #37
o_stino

some indoor shots

Old 08-13-2005, 04:25 PM   #38
o_drtom

i cant wait to fit in about 5 runs per match !
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2005, 04:32 PM   #39
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
With hallways like that Snipers might be real valuable.

Old 08-13-2005, 05:37 PM   #40
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
With hallways like that Snipers might be real valuable.
thats what i thought in most maps are snipers useless (i'm not talking about 2fort)