Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-17-2005, 12:39 AM   #21
o_kam

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The attic is the most boring position to defend which might be due to the high bment height (hard to nail the conc consistantly on an average server :/) but also because there's really no other way to get there. Perhaps join the useless water tower thing to the bment so more offy go top or atleast have the option to.
Fall damage, shmall damage
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 08:02 AM   #22
o_koochy

I think you need to up your geometry. Your version of mulch_dm looks like a HL1 map :(.
o_koochy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 09:08 AM   #23
o_azlan

That would be because it IS a HL1 map. The architecture is 100% accurate (every block is in it's place from the original map). I'm still a beginner when it comes to lighting, so I'll be learning as I go with mortality.

I thought about connecting the water towers with the battlements ala monkey_madness_r style and I will fiddle with the different options for that.

Also, please keep in mind that in American TFC heavy classes are used often on offense and I want to encourage people to play heavy classes on offense, as opposed to the boring scout/medic combo that is all you see these days. I'll figure something out, so keep checking when I update this thread for updates on it so that I can get you all's input.

Thanks for your suggestions!
o_azlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 10:13 AM   #24
o_drtom

perhaps if you opened the balc/attic route up for heavy classes you would destroy the balance of the map?
2 sols in attic would wipe out attic def, and then they are in FR ?! doesnt sound good to me !
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #25
o_fresh

Yeah Alzan, i think we should play more American style TFC, its more exciting. Lets not stop at Hevs on offy what about having 8 flags on Sd2 instead of 2, or POWERPLAY where the team can run through walls and insta kill on touch, or abit of Nail gun INSTAGIB, or MID MAP Cheerleaders.

New Flag Design...
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 11:19 AM   #26
o_bokko

Mortality is a huge map by ctf standards, heavy classes aren't supposed to be effective on offence. Huge yard, huge ramproom, huge flagroom, very few chokepoints. But hey, maybe you should just change the map layout completely and then call it mortality just for the sakes of it. :P
o_bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 11:42 AM   #27
o_koochy

Re: Remaking mortality_l: Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlan
I've just rebuilt mulch_dm and finished it pretty much, with working doors, windows, lighting, and all of the normal stuff ... I mostly remade it as a primer to get acquainted with Hammer so that I could start making original maps.
You remade a map, in HL1 style for HL2? Why not amp it up to get used to all the glorious new features HL2 has to offer D:?
o_koochy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 12:53 PM   #28
o_wildfire

I remember now why I didn't start up mapping again - when I try to run Hammer now, it just siezes up as soon as I run it. I can create one brush (with a lot of hardware lag trying to stop me) and then that's it, game over, freeze. Is there a work-around for this?

If I can get it running I'll see what I can come up with. I still sketch out the odd design from time to time and if I can find the plans I have a few good ones in the bank that I'd like to make.

Edit: Oh and from what I can tell the camera view doesn't seem to be functioning at all. What have they done to this editor? Ewul. What I really need is a good setup guide, the 'official' one covers the compile and gameinfo stuff but doesn't tell me where to get textures, materials etc. Utter crap from a noob's point of view.

(3.4GHz P4, 1GB ram, Radeon 9800 pro)
o_wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 02:02 PM   #29
o_docwolfe

WF my system is inferior yet I dont have any probs maybe try and get rid of all that spyware and pron dialers on your comp first? :P
o_docwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #30
o_wildfire

Well I managed to get it working to an extent now - for some reason I have to close steam.exe via ctrl-alt-delete while I'm working, else it won't work. Now if someone could tell me where to get some textures, I'll be off.
o_wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 02:34 PM   #31
o_docwolfe

they should automatically appear when you restart steam - this is all I had to do!
o_docwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 03:54 PM   #32
o_sh4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfire
Well I managed to get it working to an extent now - for some reason I have to close steam.exe via ctrl-alt-delete while I'm working, else it won't work. Now if someone could tell me where to get some textures, I'll be off.
Make sure you have everything you need downloaded at 100%. Then close steam, restart comp, start steam, open source sdk and do refresh sdk content, then your set.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2005, 10:03 PM   #33
o_azlan

I've started back from where I started before I left for vacation. I've got all the basic architecture done except for the air shoot, the flag room, and some of upstairs. I'm doing one base first, then I'm going to copy and flip it. I'll do the midfield and water tunnels then, saving the skybox for last.

I've got the next few days off before I go back to work, so odds are I'll have one of the bases done by the end of the week.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:13 PM   #34
o_azlan

I'm at the point where I've begun texturing the bases and adding props and details. Does anyone know where I can find a fan prop for the shoop? I looked through all of the prop folders for HL2DM (the base mod I use at the moment), but couldn't find one in there.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #35
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
ask Nezumi, hes got some ownage fans in his map here
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2005, 05:47 PM   #36
o_kam

You could use the one from dm_lockdown. A model would be better though :>

(unless it was a model...can't remember)
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2005, 06:20 PM   #37
o_otiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
Yeah Alzan, i think we should play more American style TFC, its more exciting. Lets not stop at Hevs on offy what about having 8 flags on Sd2 instead of 2, or POWERPLAY where the team can run through walls and insta kill on touch, or abit of Nail gun INSTAGIB, or MID MAP Cheerleaders.

New Flag Design...
I love you.
o_otiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2005, 06:39 AM   #38
o_valk

if u change this map ur gonna kill it
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2005, 07:22 AM   #39
o_osiris

damnit! I've been working on Mulch_DM as a sort of secret project lately Didnt realise that it was actually going to be developed by the team

Whatever, good practice I guess.
(W.I.P. screenshots)

It obviouslly needed to be brightened up quite a bit in a few spots... and textures... oooh the horrible textures
o_osiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2005, 09:22 AM   #40
o_azlan

Do the guy with the fans hasn't gotten back to me yet. Does anyone know how I can get CS:S models into HL2DM's folders? So that I can have a larger base of props and such.