Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 09-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #21
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I played it a bit and was curious, so I kept playing it for a while, but in terms of gameplay, it couldn't captivate me at all, which is why I didn't keep at it for long.

I didn't give a crap about all those upgrades because most sucked (if I set someone on fire, they should burn to death / if I electricute somebody, they should die). Atmosphere was so-so for me, I've definitely seen better.

The only part that I liked was the beginning, where you see the plane sinking and you get to the lighthouse (or whatever it is). To me, it was just another mediocre shooter that tried to stand out a little too much. I guess I'll replay it (and perhaps finish it) eventually, but can't say I'm very enthusiastic.
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #22
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Bioshock isn't horrible in and of itself, however if you're played System Shock 2, it's inferior in every single aspect except for the graphics. The premise was cool and I thought they could have done a lot more with it, but they practically copied the System Shock 2 storyline verbatim then simplified it and made the characters more cliched.

Top that off with with dumbed down gameplay, an atmosphere that simply isn't as immersive or scary as SS2, and much more contrived elements, it's really a disappointment when you've played games that are much better and years older.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #23
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
So it's not the "New HL2" that people have claimed it was?

Old 09-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #24
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity
Bioshock isn't horrible in and of itself, however if you're played System Shock 2, it's inferior in every single aspect except for the graphics. The premise was cool and I thought they could have done a lot more with it, but they practically copied the System Shock 2 storyline verbatim then simplified it and made the characters more cliched.

Top that off with with dumbed down gameplay, an atmosphere that simply isn't as immersive or scary as SS2, and much more contrived elements, it's really a disappointment when you've played games that are much better and years older.
I just downl...BOUGHT system shock 2 and DAMN, you're right.
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #25
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Speaking of which, System Shock 2 is easily one of the greatest games I've ever played. It's one of the creepiest games I've ever played too, and it does this with superb atmosphere instead of cliche 'in your face' moments. I shat bricks the first time the security camera gave my location to all the hybrids on the ship and sent them scream-running my way. You feel alone and vulnerable, and that's what terrifies you. I highly recommend the download. It's definitely on my top five of all time in general. This should be relevant, considering Bioshock is related. :3
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #26
Icculus
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget
Speaking of which, System Shock 2 is easily one of the greatest games I've ever played. It's one of the creepiest games I've ever played too, and it does this with superb atmosphere instead of cliche 'in your face' moments. I shat bricks the first time the security camera gave my location to all the hybrids on the ship and sent them scream-running my way. You feel alone and vulnerable, and that's what terrifies you. I highly recommend the download. It's definitely on my top five of all time in general. This should be relevant, considering Bioshock is related. :3

Damn, I never played System Shock2.. now I need to go buy it.

-Icculus {FYC}
Icculus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #27
tN|Orange
Solid.

Gametype: Control Point
Affiliations: Twisted Network
One of my favorite games of all time.
tN|Orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #28
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

I remember starting up System Shock 2 once or twice, but I've never really played it. This inspires me to retry.

Also, Thief:TDP anyone?

Old 09-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #29
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Quote:
Again, more whining from a fourteen year old who doesn't understand that not everyone shares the same opinion. FOR THE LULZ:
I find it entertaining that you troll every thread I'm in to pick on a fourteen year old boy. Real mature.

Also, when you're confronted by a mod, you seem like a cornered child 'But what about him!' attitude.

Anyways, BioShock is amazing, yes, by all means. But. It is not the game that everyone says it is. Yea, it's fuckin' pretty, and it plays pretty good, and the atmosphere really really really draws you in, but System Shock 2 was cooler, but bioshock is defiantly worth 20 or 30 bucks.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 PM   #30
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
SS2 is way too overrated. The game is not scary at all (unless you consider gingerbread men scary), the "creepy" environment is extremely cliche, most of the combat branches are dead-ends, your guy is about as durable as a 5-year old, and ammo is so rare that I was happy every time I found a box of it. I know the game isn't suppoed to be a "pure" FPS game, but I'd like to shoot something instead of whacking everything to death with a wrench or crystal shard.

You spend most of the game repairing broken stuff and beating the shit out of everything with a wrench, so it feels like you're some cyborg space janitor fixing a big spaceship while your asshole boss yells at you for everything you do, instead of feeling like you're being hunted by evil aliens on a doomed spaceship.

Even though the game says that you can beat it however you want, you're fucked near the end if you don't invest in firearms, as every high-powered monster in the game is waiting to murder you, and they shrug off most psi attacks. The PSI rechargers are rare as hell, so you can't use PSI too much. However, all of the vending machines throughout the game give out cheap ammo if you hack them, so there's no reason not to say "fuck it", stock up on ammo, then go into the last parts of the game and mow everything down with the Assault Rifle.

Last edited by Hirohito; 09-19-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Hirohito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2008, 07:05 AM   #31
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Hirohito: I've played scarier, but I'm curious what games you would consider scary. Here are a couple of mine:

Clive Barker's Undying: You feel really vulnerable, incredible atmosphere, genuinely creepy game.

Silent Hill series: I didn't find this to be overwhelmingly scary, but it created a real sense of doom and is a fantastic game in terms of atmosphere and writing
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #32
Bridget
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirohito
Yes, but you're reviewing SS2 with today's standards. You have to admit, for it's time, SS2 attempted a lot (and in my opinion, managed to make work) a lot of unique ideas. s;

Psi isn't useless, it's just this game is about conservation. By the end of the game, you should have, yes, whacked a shit load of monsters with the wrench and have saved your psi hypos. SS2 isn't run and gun, so it's your fault for trying to play it as one.

The point of meleeing monsters for most of the game was to let the other 'unique for its time' means of play sink in, instead of having you just run up and down corridors blowing shit up. You're supposed to feel abandoned, hopeless, and so forth. Hence, little ammo, little resources, shitty situations.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #33
mixer
Interzone technican

yep .. get Bioshock, and then when finished, download System-Shock 2 somewhere ... its very old but still kicks butt ... but the very best is still System-Shock 1 ... from '94
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #34
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
Yes, but you're reviewing SS2 with today's standards. You have to admit, for it's time, SS2 attempted a lot (and in my opinion, managed to make work) a lot of unique ideas. s;

Psi isn't useless, it's just this game is about conservation. By the end of the game, you should have, yes, whacked a shit load of monsters with the wrench and have saved your psi hypos. SS2 isn't run and gun, so it's your fault for trying to play it as one.

The point of meleeing monsters for most of the game was to let the other 'unique for its time' means of play sink in, instead of having you just run up and down corridors blowing shit up. You're supposed to feel abandoned, hopeless, and so forth. Hence, little ammo, little resources, shitty situations.
I didn't run and gun; I just find it stupid that I have to beat the shit out of almost everything with a goddamn wrench when the levels have guns everywhere, but no ammo. I can see where it'd be scary, but after beating 50+ gingerbread men to death with a wrench, it gets frustrating and repetitive.

Deus Ex came out a year later and did everything better; an easier to use skill system, much better plot, actaully feeling like you're powering up when you upgrade your skills, and you don't have to kill almost every enemy with a melee weapons. It lacked SS2's atmosphere, but SS2's atmosphere disappeared after about an hour into the game.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #35
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

I haven't played SS2 yet, so I can't really say anything about it, but I think expectations and attitude towards a genre can greatly impact your experience. I mean, deus ex is of an entirely different magnitude than, say, duke 3d or serious sam, even though, technically, they are both FPS.

In contrast, SS2 is not focussed on guns, but instead, psi powers and melee combat. This is somewhat logical, because the game uses horror-ish elements and they would disapear almost immediatly if you had a minigun that shreds every enemy in seconds. Depending on what you were expecting, the game could either be a great experience, or a letdown. You don't play Splinter Cell like WoW or GTA either, so if you were expecting that, you'd be disapointed.

What SS2 is to hirohito, is bioshock to me. The first time, it would've been cool, but today, it's hardly special. Magic powers have been in countless games already and IMO, they aren't that special in bioshock either. You can say the atmosphere was great, but I just didn't feel it enough. Condemned, now that's atmosphere to me. Same for Thief:TDP, but I already mentioned that one. FYI, Thief and SS used the same engine, so I guess that explains a few things. Anyway, I imagine that the atmosphere in SS2 was a lot more grim, while bioshock was more... techy.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #36
Bridget
Banned

Quote:
I didn't run and gun; I just find it stupid that I have to beat the shit out of almost everything with a goddamn wrench when the levels have guns everywhere, but no ammo. I can see where it'd be scary, but after beating 50+ gingerbread men to death with a wrench, it gets frustrating and repetitive.

Deus Ex came out a year later and did everything better; an easier to use skill system, much better plot, actaully feeling like you're powering up when you upgrade your skills, and you don't have to kill almost every enemy with a melee weapons. It lacked SS2's atmosphere, but SS2's atmosphere disappeared after about an hour into the game.
Deus Ex is a completely different game. End irrelevancy. My friend wanted to congratulate you on looking like a fool by saying PSI was useless, considering he beat the game on impossible (10 health maximum sound easy?) without firing a single weapon, and took down Shodan with a single swing of his PSI-sword. </bonified psicoholic hybrid-shooting motherfucker>

Old 09-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #37
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Good for him, what did he win?

Old 09-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #38
Bridget
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rtigo
Good for him, what did he win?
The Game.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #39
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
Deus Ex is a completely different game. End irrelevancy. My friend wanted to congratulate you on looking like a fool by saying PSI was useless, considering he beat the game on impossible (10 health maximum sound easy?) without firing a single weapon, and took down Shodan with a single swing of his PSI-sword. </bonified psicoholic hybrid-shooting motherfucker>
PSi runs are fine IF YOU KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE DOING. If you don't know what upgrade to get at a certain time, you'll usually shoot yourself in the foot. IMO, PSI is only for people that know the game inside and out.

Tell your buddy I don't give a shit.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #40
Bridget
Banned

Quote:
PSi runs are fine IF YOU KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE DOING. If you don't know what upgrade to get at a certain time, you'll usually shoot yourself in the foot. IMO, PSI is only for people that know the game inside and out.

Tell your buddy I don't give a shit.
Hi I'm Hirohito, I don't give a shit, yet I'm going to swear and use caps lock in my response, giving away I'm raged because I've been called on my bullshit.

You're right about one thing: You have to know what you're doing in SS2. Obviously, you don't, so I find it disgusting you blame the game for your misfortune when it's YOU who brings on said misfortune. Perhaps you should l2play before calling the game overrated, cliche, and so on.

gb2gaia imo. Maybe there, you'll find more suitable gameplay tailored to your 'omg ezmode' mentality. Games with a hint of challenge are definitely not for you. You need sandbox games where you're invincible and can take a million damage and blow shit up non-stop. ;D