Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 11-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #21
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Seems reasonable to me.

That is, boycotting things that you feel are fucked.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #22
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Credge, look at what game they are all playing...

I'm just pissed because people yell and scream about the lack of dedicated servers. But when the game comes out, all of a sudden no one gives a shit. As much as I hate the lack of Dedicated Servers, it really doesn't do much for me. I loved CoD4's Single Player. The multiplayer was nothing more then CS. So if I get MW2, I would only be playing the single player... which is pointless because if it's anything like CoD4, it's too short to be worth the money. I only got CoD4 because it came with my Video Card.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:51 AM   #23
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga View Post

I'm just pissed because people yell and scream about the lack of dedicated servers. But when the game comes out, all of a sudden no one gives a shit. As much as I hate the lack of Dedicated Servers, it really doesn't do much for me. I loved CoD4's Single Player. The multiplayer was nothing more then CS. So if I get MW2, I would only be playing the single player... which is pointless because if it's anything like CoD4, it's too short to be worth the money. I only got CoD4 because it came with my Video Card.
Pretty much. Was mainly into CoD4 for it's singleplayer experience. Don't give a flying shit about the multiplayer when I've got CS.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #24
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga View Post

I'm just pissed because people yell and scream about the lack of dedicated servers. But when the game comes out, all of a sudden no one gives a shit.
There's nothing wrong with that. The problem is that they did the boycotting too late to actually show any result anyway.

Ronald Reagan

Old 11-15-2009, 01:47 AM   #25
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
There's nothing wrong with that. The problem is that they did the boycotting too late to actually show any result anyway.
I think the point is that they didn't do any boycotting. They "boycotted it" just long enough to buy the fucking game on release date and play it.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2009, 02:19 AM   #26
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
I think the point is that they didn't do any boycotting. They "boycotted it" just long enough to buy the fucking game on release date and play it.
As I said, they didn't boycott early enough for it to matter.

The L4D2 boycott? That happened early enough for there to be an impact. This one? Nah, didn't happen fast enough for it to change anything even if they hadn't of bought the game.

There's a difference between principle and what actually happens.

Ronald Reagan

Old 11-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #27
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
isnt boycotting when you dont pay for something that you think is bullshit? how is there "early boycotting" and "late boycotting"? either you pay for the game or you dont.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #28
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss View Post
isnt boycotting when you dont pay for something that you think is bullshit? how is there "early boycotting" and "late boycotting"? either you pay for the game or you dont.
You misunderstand.

To assume that boycotting something at any time will yield equal results is bogus, which is what I'm saying.

For example, if I boycott Final Fantasy 7 right now, what is that going to do? Not a thing because the game is some 12+ years old.

If I boycott Assassins Creed 2 right now, what is that going to do? Not a thing because the game just came out or is going to come out very soon.

If I boycott Borderlands 2 right now, I may actually have the ability to impact something before the game is released, especially if others join me in boycotting it.

The thing is that those that said they were boycotting it probably realized it was futile (not because boycotting is futile) and bought it anyway in the hopes that their collective voices and money spent would change something.

Or they'll just play the hacked version of the games that have dedicated servers. Whichever.

Ronald Reagan

Old 11-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #29
Etzell
D&A Member

But isn't the overall message sent simply: "We'll pretend to get pissed off and then give you our money anyway, because you have that kind of power over us"?

Old 11-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #30
Dravyck

Class/Position: No thankyou
cracked singleplayer, patched coop mode, 100% sp completed, 80% spec ops completed. Doubt multiplayer will be patched. Moving on, back to FF.
Dravyck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #31
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
But isn't the overall message sent simply: "We'll pretend to get pissed off and then give you our money anyway, because you have that kind of power over us"?
So you don't think that they're not pissed off just because they bought it?

Do you think a D3 fan would be pissed off if Blizzard announced the game didn't actually have any loot in it a week before launch but, because he's been waiting for the game for some 6+ years that he'll surely buy it anyway because he likes the series?

The idea is that you pay for the game so you can play it, voice that you do not like the decision they made, and continue to voice it (as they have, hence the hacked versions of the game that allow you to play multiplayer, hacked dedicated servers, etc.) until the developer does something about it.

Or you could just pirate the game and play the hacked version online with dedicated servers, which is what a good deal of people who didn't buy the game are now doing.

The assumption that everybody that boycotted it went out and bought the game is just dumb.

Ronald Reagan

Old 11-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #32
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
So you don't think that they're not pissed off just because they bought it?

Do you think a D3 fan would be pissed off if Blizzard announced the game didn't actually have any loot in it a week before launch but, because he's been waiting for the game for some 6+ years that he'll surely buy it anyway because he likes the series?
Boycotting != being pissed off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A boycott is a form of consumer activism involving the act of voluntarily abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with a person, organization, or country as an expression of protest, usually for political reasons.
What did some of these people who were boycotting the product NOT do? Oh, that's right. Boycott the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
The idea is that you pay for the game so you can play it, voice that you do not like the decision they made, and continue to voice it (as they have, hence the hacked versions of the game that allow you to play multiplayer, hacked dedicated servers, etc.) until the developer does something about it.
The idea of a boycott is that you don't pay for the game, voice that you do not like the decision they've made, and continue to not buy the game until they do something about it.

Quote:
Or you could just pirate the game and play the hacked version online with dedicated servers, which is what a good deal of people who didn't buy the game are now doing.
Screenshot was taken on release, hacked version wasn't available until 24 hours after release. After the screenshot in question was taken.

Quote:
The assumption that everybody that boycotted it went out and bought the game is just dumb.
No one's made that assumption. People have asserted the fact that some people have bought the game after "boycotting" it, and have called those people hypocrites. And examples of what's wrong with some protesting in general.

Last edited by Etzell; 11-17-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #33
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
http://kotaku.com/5406255/modern-war...s-well-sort-of

Quote:
Modern Warfare 2 Gets Dedicated PC Servers (Well, Sort Of)

So Infinity Ward ditched dedicated servers for the PC version of Modern Warfare 2, eh? It's of little consequence, as it hasn't taken hackers long to enable a workaround, bringing the feature back.

And here it is, in action. With predictable shenanigans in tow. Whether it's actually better than IW's present solution is another matter, but really, that was never the point here. No, the point was just to show IW's decision could be reversed, and that point has been made.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #34
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane View Post
That was awesome.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #35
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Is someone mowing them down with the minigun on the front of an A10?

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2009, 03:00 AM   #36
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Is someone mowing them down with the minigun on the front of an A10?
I think thats suppose to be a AC-130 gunship, specifically from one of these little monsters

http://www.specialoperations.com/Avi...0/mvc-185f.jpg

Old 11-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #37
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times

Old 11-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #38
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Got ya, thar be a Spookie in the air. To bad you can't use the fuckin 120mm cannon on the side of those bad boys, lol.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #39
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Ya those damn planes are freakin amazing! The amount of firepower they can put down in such a small area is just scary.