Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 01-13-2007, 05:15 AM   #21
o_gnyevko

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Luckily I've got a couple friends that started playing WoW that occasionally do other things... but I have more that I simply haven't talked to for years because there is no point. They used to be fun, now they are not. WoW's existence is causing me to have a significant decrease in fun during life due to the fact that I have less available contacts for other games. Some of them you can get to come to a LAN party, but they play WoW most of the time anyway. I don't know of ANY other MMO that is so addictive that people pass up LAN party time for it... WoW is evil! EVIL, I say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodingelf
Join in or find new friends. Any group of people who are a fan of the same thing group together. All the other hobbies are either like this or a one-person kind of hobby... like collecting something (stamps, baseball cards...).
You have to understand, I don't know if this applies to you or not... but the people I'm talking about don't do ANYTHING other than play WoW or support their continued playing of WoW. It's not just a hobby, it's like weed. People I know who smoke weed do 3 things: "Smoke weed, talk about smoking weed, and do what is neccesary to smoke more weed." You can replace smoking weed with playing WoW and it's the same thing. MMORPGs have that special effect on people, it's like a temporary game obsession that makes you play through a new game straight within 48 hours only it's NOT temporary. I'm not saying WoW should be banned or anything, but that doesn't mean I can't hate it for what it has done.

Also, Mervaka... my good chum. I'm not Nez. I appreciate the confusion though.
o_gnyevko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2007, 07:31 AM   #22
o_speed-king

Lvl 60 Rogue with full tier 2.5 waiting to be dropped into TBC to rape some alliance ass :3
o_speed-king is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2007, 07:33 AM   #23
o_lithium

Too bad , Tier 2 > Tier 2.5
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #24
o_dancingfool

I laugh upon anyone who becomes a Blood Elf Paladin.
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #25
o_loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiuM
Too bad , Tier 2 > Tier 2.5
Since when?
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #26
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I like WoW, play it leisurely, play some UT2k4, play some other shit.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #27
o_broodingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnyevko
You have to understand, I don't know if this applies to you or not... but the people I'm talking about don't do ANYTHING other than play WoW or support their continued playing of WoW.
Computer gaming is my hobby. Like other men my age, I have to spend time doing something to take my mind off of things. I can't drink because I get nearly an instant headache from it. I don't smoke weed because I get UA's through work and it's a piss poor front to put on for my kids. I don't collect stuff because well... There's very limited space in my home. I hate (watching) football (American), or any other organized sport. I'd rather repeatedly slam my testicles in a drawer than watch sports. I can't afford guitars or amps or any of that stuff anymore (I've sold most of my equipment and just own an acoustic guitar and bass). I hate television with a burning passion (this also applies to watching sports). What's left? Most other hobbies include dynamics such as breakage (R/C anything).
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #28
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Surfing! Hey, you live in Hawaii, what else are you gonna do?

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2007, 12:15 AM   #29
o_lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
Since when?
Since Ever , most of the 2.5 bonuses suck.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:01 AM   #30
o_loader

Is this why most people swap T2 shoulders for T2.5 shoulders?

I agree the set bonuses are not as good, but the single stats are better.
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2007, 08:15 AM   #31
o_milk

Started playing this winter break first time, 31 warlock (<3 my felhunter). Not too enthralled, but still it amuses me when I am bored. I am not even going to think about getting the burning crusade till I am about level 50. Gears of War LAN parties pwn WoW hard though, but maybe I am just jaded cuz I am only level 31.
o_milk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #32
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Some of them you can get to come to a LAN party, but they play WoW most of the time anyway. I don't know of ANY other MMO that is so addictive that people pass up LAN party time for it... WoW is evil! EVIL, I say!
i had this same problem last thursday... "SORRY, GOT A RAID"

admittently this was an invitation halfway through the party :/

Quote:
Also, Mervaka... my good chum. I'm not Nez. I appreciate the confusion though.
my bad :/

Old 01-15-2007, 06:38 AM   #33
o_broodingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Surfing! Hey, you live in Hawaii, what else are you gonna do?
There usually has to be even a small amount of interest before a hobby starts.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:17 AM   #34
o_duffmanhb

Quote:
Originally Posted by broodingdude
There usually has to be even a small amount of interest before a hobby starts.
Bowling, pool, reading, watching movies and carpentry or some sort of artistic thing.
o_duffmanhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #35
o_lithium

I like pool, but i manage to lose 50$ when i play with money , and i tear ass when there's no money on the game >.>

Old 01-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #36
o_speed-king

Lols ... I got full t2 aswell , so i couldnt bother , but to do most dmg in pvp and pve , Tier 2.5 is the shizznits .

But if you want lesser heals and resistance's and a thread reduct bonus ... us T2 :P
o_speed-king is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #37
o_broodingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffmanHB
Bowling, pool, reading, watching movies and carpentry or some sort of artistic thing.
Great suggestions. These have crossed my mind and have been dismissed for various valid reasons.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:32 AM   #38
o_gnyevko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of the Brood
Computer gaming is my hobby. Like other men my age, I have to spend time doing something to take my mind off of things. I can't drink because I get nearly an instant headache from it. I don't smoke weed because I get UA's through work and it's a piss poor front to put on for my kids. I don't collect stuff because well... There's very limited space in my home. I hate (watching) football (American), or any other organized sport. I'd rather repeatedly slam my testicles in a drawer than watch sports. I can't afford guitars or amps or any of that stuff anymore (I've sold most of my equipment and just own an acoustic guitar and bass). I hate television with a burning passion (this also applies to watching sports). What's left? Most other hobbies include dynamics such as breakage (R/C anything).
Those are NOT the right reasons to not drink/smoke weed... but whatever. Also drinking and smoking weed is not a hobby, it's a lack of a hobby. People go out to bars and get smashed because they are very unimaginative and can't think of anything better to do. Computers are as viable a hobby as any other, but ignoring everyone you know because of them is bad as it is with any other hobby. I agree with sports though... boring as watching dirt age. Watching other people play a game is retarded, I don't understand how anyone enjoys it as anything other than an excuse to have a party.

When you say you hate TV do you mean you hate all non-interactive video media or do you just hate what is currently on TV? There's always SOMETHING good to download and watch.

ANYWAY. I'm not trying to say you should stop playing WoW, just make sure to remember who your friends were before you started playing... because you will EVENTUALLY get bored of it.
o_gnyevko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2007, 12:42 AM   #39
o_rifle

2:30 mins until midnight but gamestop opens at 8:00 am. I'm skiping school.
o_rifle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2007, 01:36 AM   #40
o_addicted to morphine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifle
I'm skiping school.
The irony here is just sickening.

On topic: I have an addictive personality (although, I don't actually mess around with morphine) when it comes to videogames, and WoW was like what I imagine crack to be.

I gave my life for 3 months. I managed to cancel and stay away. Sometimes though, I begin to feel the urge to play... but then I remember how less social / healthy / academic I was when I played. Some people can play WoW in moderation, and I'm happy for them. I, alas, am not one of those people and will never touch WoW again.
o_addicted to morphine is offline   Reply With Quote