Yes 82 68.33%
No 38 31.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2005, 10:29 AM   #21
o_pizzahut

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus
I probably wont learn for FF , practicing stuff over and over is a sure fire way to get me bored of something
I think the method used in FF is easier to learn though. No more sending half a dozen jump commands with critical timing. Give it a try.
o_pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2005, 03:40 PM   #23
o_shaggy

I can bh, but not great, b/c i'm inconsistant(chk. spelling). I sometimes can keep up with the good bhers, but other times I some how run between a proficent bher and a non bher. Not sure what i'm doing wrong, but if i had to guess from reading the above tutorials, i'm probably making my arches too tight. And here's a question to those who rock at it. I can't seem to blast out with my bh like some people can. I have to gradually accelerate. Could someone tell me how to do that.
o_shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2005, 04:33 PM   #24
o_darknight

I believe that I can bunnyhop (propperly) but I'm not sure - I have a tendency to to clip forward a tad to control myself better.

I know I have good aircontrol and as scout can be a complete bastard to hit. I can keep up with just about everyone I've played with/against/seen but I never hit the cap and very rarely have to crouch hop. Maybe it is strafe jumping that I do, dunno but I always though that strafe jumping was about 140% normal speed rather than 170%

As Hwguy I can go faster than a running engy, for comparison.

I know a good few years ago (pre 2003) when I used to play TFC I could only strafe jump and didnt have as much control or speed and I am most certainly go much faster than that now. So I'll vote yes.

I think a more fitting question would be. Of those that can bunnyhop - how many of them have a script to help them? I for one don't have anything of the sort and to me a bunnyhop with a script is cheating. I mean, where's the skill in that?
o_darknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2005, 06:08 PM   #25
o_kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy
And here's a question to those who rock at it. I can't seem to blast out with my bh like some people can. I have to gradually accelerate. Could someone tell me how to do that.
You need to flick the mouse faster or just start with a "glide jump" and do a whole heaps of air movement to gain speed as fast as possible. You kinda have to sense when you're coming close to the cap so you can lay off the mouse movement.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2005, 07:30 PM   #26
o_nuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaMIKazE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy
And here's a question to those who rock at it. I can't seem to blast out with my bh like some people can. I have to gradually accelerate. Could someone tell me how to do that.
You need to flick the mouse faster or just start with a "glide jump" and do a whole heaps of air movement to gain speed as fast as possible. You kinda have to sense when you're coming close to the cap so you can lay off the mouse movement.
This may sound strange, but this is 100% true. Your FPS effects how fast your able to gain acceleration. For example, set your fps_max and fps_modem to 60, see how fast you can reach the speed cap as a medic (typically 3/4 hops). Now, set your FPS to 100 and see how fast you hit it now (2-3 hops). See if increasing your FPS works for an easy fix. If not, you need to work on your technique
o_nuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2005, 01:51 AM   #27
o_darknight

Speaking of flicking your mouse around. Why do we actually do this? I have no recolation of ever being taught this or seeing anyone else do it but for some reason I just do it automatically. It's mad.

Old 10-25-2005, 03:50 AM   #28
o_etzell

What it does is uses air acceleration. Do it in a HH concjump, you speed way up. Same concept. When you hit the ground, if you jump fast enough, it doesn't "register" that you hit the ground, and you jump right back up, and continue to use air acceleation. Since you didn't slow down, you go faster and faster.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2005, 04:22 AM   #29
o_videinfra

haha i can bhop backwards with my eyes closed... if you cant bhop you havent attempted to enough.
o_videinfra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2005, 04:47 AM   #30
o_kam

What about sideways?
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2005, 10:26 AM   #31
o_darknight

Bunnhopping backwards is easier than bhopping forwards unless of course you are talking about bunnyhopping backwards around the entire map - in which case you have a problem. :/

Guess I could have learnt the airaccelerate thing from the odd time I played lowgravity CS (¬¬) I could go so fast on it. :S

Old 10-25-2005, 05:35 PM   #32
o_the_truth

Its kind of wierd having so many new faces that you dont know anybody now adays. The last 5 years the top clanning TFC community has dwindled down and I almost forgot how refreshing it was to have a big community. Everything in TFC now adays is so structured and generic. Everybody knows every jump and every double conc and seeing this thread makes me happy I cant wait for FF to come out and for me to just learn/make up stuff before everybody gets a hold of it. Clanning is going to be insane as to all the new strats and different usage of the classes. Im excited
o_the_truth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2005, 12:16 AM   #33
o_spewok

I used to get the HW guy moving as fast as the scout... fun times till valve took out gliding 8(
o_spewok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2005, 06:26 PM   #34
o_[sslg]godhand

Just a quick question, guys. In the video of "The Jump" by Rizzo, there's a nice graphical bloom effect going on. Things look quite pretty.

Is this a client-side TFC modification, or was it done post-processing through a video editing program or some such? Thanks for the help.
o_[sslg]godhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #35
o_pizzahut

It could be this:

http://www.madabouthats.org/projects/cgshader

However I wouldn't use it on servers with VAC enabled - you might get banned for it.
o_pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #36
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Or he just over-exposed the individual frames with Photoshop/some video editing program (Premiere?)/etc.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:56 PM   #37
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

It was probably post-processing. To be honest, it just makes me think I need to change the prescription on my glasses. It's nice for emphasis, but to use it constantly? No thanks.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2005, 10:21 PM   #38
o_[sslg]godhand

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Now, if you'd be so kind to answer another question...

What TFC modifications are at play in this video:

http://media.ozfortress.com/avis/TriNitroToluene.avi

(Warning: Big Download)

I'm noting cel shaded models, altered weapon effects, altered weapon models and so on. I've been out of the TFC loop for quite some time, and have only begun to play again recently. That being said, I use old models for nostalgic effect.

Are the alterations in the aforementioned video legal? Do they count as cheats? Does VAC pick up on them?

Moreover, what are your opinions on them, aesthetically?

I only ask because they seem to contribute a nice dose of graphical freshness to TFC, and it's of a sort that I am not familiar with.

Thanks again for the help, guys.
o_[sslg]godhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2005, 12:15 AM   #39
o_frosty

I sorta learned bhopping, and thought it was silly, so i stoped. 'Sides, I think the set speeds of the classes gave soemthing to the balance, I accept and like gren jumping, rocket jumping, conc jumping, even napalm jumping (which acutaly works realy well in low g) and they all take a resorce (be it health or grenades or both). I thought the fact that a med or light class could leave a hw in the dust was a good thing. But then again I'm weird, I refuse to script, I use the arrow keys (oh noes not wasd, wtf!!!1!!1!one). And I generaly kicked ass, at very least my average ratio was at least 2:1 on offence without flags.
o_frosty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2005, 08:30 PM   #40
o_sh4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty
I sorta learned bhopping, and thought it was silly, so i stoped. 'Sides, I think the set speeds of the classes gave soemthing to the balance, I accept and like gren jumping, rocket jumping, conc jumping, even napalm jumping (which acutaly works realy well in low g) and they all take a resorce (be it health or grenades or both). I thought the fact that a med or light class could leave a hw in the dust was a good thing. But then again I'm weird, I refuse to script, I use the arrow keys (oh noes not wasd, wtf!!!1!!1!one). And I generaly kicked ass, at very least my average ratio was at least 2:1 on offence without flags.
Dudos los ratios means nothingnos. nothingnos.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote