Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 03:39 AM   #361
o_sta_sirtiger

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Thank you for improving the 3d skybox (although it can use some more surroundings and and more detail). I'm not too fan of the waterfall, and it seems like it is draining your fps (although the waterfall itself might not be the issue, since it can be created in so many different ways). Newer screenshots, lower fps, less playable; it's kind of getting me scared now.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:04 AM   #362
o_sh4x

Yeah it's beautiful but is it fun?

I'd like to try it out myself. Is there gonna be a beta release soon?

Old 01-20-2007, 04:09 AM   #363
o_sta_sirtiger

Problem is, testing with hl2dm is pretty useless. We would need FF to test it.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:10 AM   #364
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
overlays wouldn't tax fps at all, only those little smoke sprites he added- bumgravy, check out the other email i sent you if you want flowing water :P

Looks good, I like what you've pulled off so far, though i'd tweak that fall on the left perhaps.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:41 AM   #365
o_sta_sirtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISH
overlays wouldn't tax fps at all, only those little smoke sprites he added- bumgravy, check out the other email i sent you if you want flowing water :P

Looks good, I like what you've pulled off so far, though i'd tweak that fall on the left perhaps.
that's why I said "depending on how it was created." As you mentioned already, the smoke sprites will cost some fps.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:58 AM   #366
o_bumgravy

Theres only a couple of smoke sprites there, wont hit FPS very much. The fps displayed in earlier shots isnt accurate, I had hammer crash, then still running in background, while installing latest Insect infestation patch and viewing a Youtube video lol. Also this area was compiled with fast VIs so its drawing almost twice as many leafs as it should be. When its optimised with Hint brushes and compiled fully this area will have a good framerate.

Hopefully have more time tonight to mess around, but for now gotta go to work.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #367
o_own3r

Some constructive criticism.
  • Remove tree from the middle of the steam, in reality the tree would drown because it's roots would be waterlogged.
  • In your last shot subdivide the cliff on the left
  • Get a common architectural style, you've got Greek/Roman columns next to modern curves on the base. This looks bad, try to get the columns to a more modern style. This could be done quite easily by just making a cylinder with small cylinders top and bottom to cap it.
  • Change the skin on the trees so they have leaves
  • Decrease the overbearing yellow from the lighting and introduce a subtle blue to the ambient lighting.
  • Remove grass from the riverbed, introduce a more sandy/silty texture. You can do this easily by simply creating a displacement and overlapping them so you have grass one underneath and the sand one visible. Its bad practice but probably the easiest way to do it when you've made all the displacements together.
  • Remove the street lamps on the bridge, they will disrupt people trying to conc/nade/rocket jump and don't add to the scene they look out of place.
  • The skybox cliff should not overhang. Cliffs always go up steeply (not overhanging then become less steep towards the top. Have a look at this:
    http://content.answers.com/main/cont...er_erosion.jpg notice how it is shamfered towards the top.
    Also have a look at this, its a more appropriate hill type for the one in your skybox.
    http://www.geog.sussex.ac.uk/BAR/ima...e/04150047.jpg

Old 01-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #368
o_blister

i like the looks of it. however i'm afraid for performance too, especially with intense gameplay going on on lower-end PCs. hint brushes aren't going to help much in the outside area imo, you can only use them to help blocking off inside areas (mat_wireframe and mat_leafvis will show to what extent).

Old 01-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #369
o_ma|2io

Yeah the street lights would piss me off if i hit them

Old 01-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #370
o_donny

That waterfall... just awsome... Wow.
Looks great!

Old 01-20-2007, 06:24 PM   #371
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma|2io
Yeah the street lights would piss me off if i hit them
I you were to hit them when concing, then you would need to practice some more. Seriously, those poles/lights are tiny.

The new screenshots look really nice, keep up the good work and ignore rubbish tips such as removing trees placed by water as it doesn't suit reality.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:16 AM   #372
o_nezumi

The tree on the island looks dead anyway. I say keep it.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #373
o_bumgravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlisTer
i like the looks of it. however i'm afraid for performance too, especially with intense gameplay going on on lower-end PCs. hint brushes aren't going to help much in the outside area imo, you can only use them to help blocking off inside areas (mat_wireframe and mat_leafvis will show to what extent).
like I said, the performance in this area is fine. it is still to be optimised but it is already running with good FPS.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:16 PM   #374
o_bumgravy

Looking better, and done more work on skybox. Flowing water texture supplied by PHISH an dis amazing, as is the water textures. It looks nice, Ill post a very badly compressed movie soon!

Old 01-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #375
o_luminous

just..

wow

those waterfalls are some of the best things ive seen on the source engine ever :/

Old 01-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #376
o_nodnarb

You are very skilled bummy. This map looks simply amazing!. The building in the skybox looks better, but I don't know about the upper building

Old 01-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #377
o_psycnet

Fantastic work.

#1 on my must play maps (incl. dev maps)

Hopefully the gameplay tweaks after FF's release don't delay it too long

Old 01-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #378
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
wow dude, that river shit looks better than I thought, can't wait to see it all in motion

Keep makin improvements!

http://content.answers.com/main/cont...er_erosion.jpg

I'd be interested in seein how it'd look with a white rock texture used in your blending on the cliffs, or a diff cliff texture...perhaps I could whip one up if you think thats worth checking out.

Last edited by PHISH; 01-21-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:47 PM   #379
o_sta_sirtiger

Looking ace - except that the 3dskybox terrain is kinda spiky in some places.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:53 PM   #380
o_bumgravy

Thanks for your comments. Im working on the skybox and adding to it still. Need to change the fog colours too. These textures give my map such a boost though, this shit looks amazing. Im trying to do this video that shows it, but I cant use the software cos im an idiot.

Theres a guy on HL2World forums says he wants to see the VTF files, I'm assuming you don't want me giveing out your shit though PHISH

Closed Thread