Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2006, 10:31 PM   #241
o_catzeyes93

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I can't ever ever remember my bhopping teammate looking to me or anyone else for that matter for teamwork. He was hopping his way to his own goal and to hell with the rest of us.
o_catzeyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2006, 12:31 AM   #242
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
This was a clan game?

Old 08-15-2006, 02:57 AM   #243
o_nezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughJ
Halo2 vs TFC would kind of be comparable to hungry-hungry-hippos vs chess.
Rofl.

Also, Qui picked up Raffie and put Raffie in his mouth. 10 points to Qui.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2006, 03:49 AM   #244
o_yoda891

I had the great experience of playing on a DAD server today... No bhopping, no rocket jumping, and even no nade jumps. These rules are barely enforced, but most people follow them. The server makes tfc look like a lemming cliff ritual. Most games end up with scores around 30-1XX(AD server) and the defence consisting of: Engie, hw, and one sniper. Heck, any decent soldier playing pyro could play more effective than half the people there. Playing on one of these servers with the anti-bhop crew gives you an idea of their skill level.

Of course it was fun, if you like jumping off cliffs.
o_yoda891 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2006, 06:24 AM   #245
o_menelec

I couldn't dream of playing tfc without scripting and bhop. I mean, it's like you'd actually have to WALK all that way to the enemy base every round. It's so tedious.. Besides, I think it's much more comfortable to press "q" to trigger my _special fullupdate scripted bhop movement code and go get some coffee while the computer automatically heads for the enemy base. Hax.
o_menelec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2006, 07:44 AM   #246
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
You know what made TFC better then Quake?
Each class had speed limits and realstic physics per class.
What?
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #247
o_tu!

whats with the fucked up anti conc/rocket jumping, anti air control and anti bhopping people...why don't you newbs just stick to cs:s and bf2...god.
o_tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #248
o_soundchaser

Bunny hopping should not be allowed. And if it is allowed then the dev team
should include some code for bunny hopping for everybody.

"BUNNY HOP" "ON or OFF" in the char menu. It's simple, fair and everybody is happy.

Bunny Hopping is not a natural thing and should not be implemented.
o_soundchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2006, 09:04 PM   #249
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda891
I had the great experience of playing on a DAD server today... No bhopping, no rocket jumping, and even no nade jumps. These rules are barely enforced, but most people follow them. The server makes tfc look like a lemming cliff ritual. Most games end up with scores around 30-1XX(AD server) and the defence consisting of: Engie, hw, and one sniper. Heck, any decent soldier playing pyro could play more effective than half the people there. Playing on one of these servers with the anti-bhop crew gives you an idea of their skill level.

Of course it was fun, if you like jumping off cliffs.
its a pub... most the people there are gonna be kill farming and just having fun in what ever random way they see fit, with maby 3 people per team actually tryin to cap.
o_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #250
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaser

"BUNNY HOP" "ON or OFF" in the char menu. It's simple, fair and everybody is happy.

What idiot would turn it off? That's the stupidest bhopping idea I've heard yet, and I've heard a lot of really fucking stupid bhop ideas. Wouldn't a simpler method be to just... not bhop if you don't want to? Or is the potential just too much for you to handle? Like the idiots who ranted about removing fast travel from Oblivion 'cuz THEY MIGHT FEEL COMPELLED TO USE IT. Which of course is like a cardinal sin or something. This whole angle of thought is making my brain hurt.

The easiest counterpoint I can give is that bhopping is in FF, and you'll have to either get over it or play something else.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:04 PM   #251
o_soundchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
What idiot would turn it off? That's the stupidest bhopping idea I've heard yet, and I've heard a lot of really fucking stupid bhop ideas. Wouldn't a simpler method be to just... not bhop if you don't want to? Or is the potential just too much for you to handle? Like the idiots who ranted about removing fast travel from Oblivion 'cuz THEY MIGHT FEEL COMPELLED TO USE IT. Which of course is like a cardinal sin or something. This whole angle of thought is making my brain hurt.

The easiest counterpoint I can give is that bhopping is in FF, and you'll have to either get over it or play something else.
first off...calm down..you are raged.

secondly. bunny hopping should not be in the game period.
if it is ....it should be available (on or off switch for BH) for everybody to make the game play fair.

if you can't get a handle of that logic....then i don't know what to tell you Mr. Angry man.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #252
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

On a USER basis or SERVER basis? It makes no sense at all to let a user turn off bhopping for his or herself. That doesn't make the game fair, that screws them out of their potential.

Why shouldn't bunnyhopping be in the game? Don't give me "it's not natural," that's irrelevant. You're not likely to see someone go rocket jumping in this world, either.

So what's the reason, other than that? Because it makes the playing field uneven? Doubt it, especially with a tutorial mode in place, and easier jump timing. It's an accessible skill, and one that offers dramatic improvements to movement and general gameplay. So what's the real reason here?

Old 08-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #253
o_zaskar

Cant be a server toggle, im sure balance would be made expecting Bhopping, so turning it off but having the same defensive abilities would prob be a little too hard for attackers (not impossibly hard, but decently harder)
o_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2006, 10:27 PM   #254
o_soundchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
On a USER basis or SERVER basis? It makes no sense at all to let a user turn off bhopping for his or herself. That doesn't make the game fair, that screws them out of their potential.

Why shouldn't bunnyhopping be in the game? Don't give me "it's not natural," that's irrelevant. You're not likely to see someone go rocket jumping in this world, either.

So what's the reason, other than that? Because it makes the playing field uneven? Doubt it, especially with a tutorial mode in place, and easier jump timing. It's an accessible skill, and one that offers dramatic improvements to movement and general gameplay. So what's the real reason here?
TFC never implemented BH. BH is a bug in the game. Rocket Jumping was implemented in TFC, so was conc jumping and everything else.

BH was never a function in TFC made exclusively by the developers of TFC.
BH is a bug in the game and declared a cheat by some people.

again...BH should be taken out all together in FF or have options for everybody to use BH. Therefore there isn't any unfair advantage which could
make the game a turn off for some people.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:51 PM   #255
o_nadagast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blashy
Ok, then why not eliminate it and simply increase the player speeds? No one would have to jump around.

TFC can be played FINE without the bhop, for the first year of TFC you did not see bhop and games still had caps and I'm taking top level clan matches. I will say that offense did require teamwork and not the type of play we see now where players just use medic, conc and bhop to be at the enemy base in less than 5 seconds which means you don't need coordination all that much since the offense is always in the enemy base.

If bhop is to remain just because the game needs more speed, which is not the case at all. Then simply increase the default player speeds and remove bhop.
Blashy, this is what I said on another mod's forum about simply replacing bhop with an increased cap speed:
Non instant cap speed
Skill based, different levels of skill = different speed, different acceleration
Some predictability, so there are drawbacks to using it to charge, there are lots of situations I can think of in NS where bhopping in full speed isn't the best idea for an attack
Space requirement, you can't get through certain parts of the map at full speed

I think increasing base speed is a very poor replacement for bhop.
o_nadagast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2006, 10:51 PM   #256
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
TFC never implemented BH. BH is a bug in the game. Rocket Jumping was implemented in TFC, so was conc jumping and everything else.
And LO, it is being intentionally implemented in FF. Problem solved!

Also I point you to the patch that, briefly, removed bunnyhopping from TFC. Then the next patch that brought it back (albeit capped). In other words, it's now intentionally in TFC, with an intentional limit on its benefit.

Any other reasons?

Old 08-15-2006, 10:54 PM   #257
o_nadagast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blashy
I would not say that. Halo 2 is the prime example of a game that is simple to learn and has basically no special tricks. I played it competitively for 4 months (burned out) and I looked at the top 4 players in the world and they never did anything I could not do but they did those things more often (sticky grenade hits, headshots, grenade throwing location, etc...) then I ever did.

I find that amazing, you play a game where everyone is on the same level with no special tricks, yet some people STILL stand out immensly and when you look at their videos, they're not doing anything special... they are simply better.
The point is that bhop isn't a special trick. I'd argue that bhop is to movement what aiming is to killing things

You bhop better, you move faster. You aim better, you kill stuff better It adds another important skill imo

Old 08-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #258
o_nadagast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffie
No to BHOP and SCRIPTS!!!

Not saying BHOPin' takes skill , it does but its a legal exploit of the physics of the game.

You know what made TFC better then Quake?
Each class had speed limits and realstic physics per class.

Now days people load script, execute script and go eat... YAWN....

I think it takes more skill to fight with the defaults then to script or BHOP it.
Also that makes your and your team more in touch with each other.
Please educate yourself and learn what scripts can/cannot do. Otherwise you look like an idiot

Old 08-15-2006, 10:59 PM   #259
o_nadagast

Quote:

Do you even know what bhop is? This really makes no sense. They should include a code for (one button?) bhop? No, thanks.

Quote:

BH was never a function in TFC made exclusively by the developers of TFC.
BH is a bug in the game and declared a cheat by some people.

again...BH should be taken out all together in FF or have options for everybody to use BH. Therefore there isn't any unfair advantage which could
make the game a turn off for some people.
Who cares what some developer thinks? Who cares if it's intended or not? It's FUN and TFC is a GAME, it's not a fucking moral dilemma whether or not to use bhop. Is it fun? Does it add to gameplay (is the 'skill required : power given' balanced)? Yes to both, lets use it! Not too complicated

Last edited by o_nadagast; 08-15-2006 at 11:14 PM.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:00 PM   #260
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Hi Nads!