Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2006, 05:46 PM   #241
o_footlong

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [d2f]Lucus{-Qc-}
Here is the screenshot of the Medic.... not too sure.... look like more nazi style or something... i found the orginal one more cute and skinny, this one look like almost the same size as the solly.

Where the hell did you get my sig from?
o_footlong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2006, 08:32 PM   #242
o_rp

Medic completely overhauld

Valve's Doug Lombardi was interviewd by Game Informer On-line about EP2, Portal, consoles, and TF2 - I highlighted the "interesting" stuff:
Quote:
GI: I noticed immediately that the map that was shown in the trailer was 2Fort. And during the presentation it was explained that five maps will be coming back from Team Fortress Classic.

Lombardi: Five of the classic ones, yes, plus there will be a couple new ones as well. And we’ll do more after the initial release like we do with Counter-Strike and everything else.

GI: So you said Dustbowl?

Lombardi: Did I say Dustbowl? (laughs)

GI: Can you let us know any of the other maps that might be in there?

Lombardi: Not yet. You can probably take some guesses. They’re the most popular and historical favorites. Our favorites are the same as everybody else’s favorites so we start there. We also want to get some new ones out there and introduce some new gameplay types.

GI: You’ve said you’re bringing back the original nine classes. What about new classes?

Lombardi: Yeah, what we’re doing is we’re bringing back the original nine and we’re updating all of them and augmenting a couple of them. The most radical change will be to the medic, in terms of his capabilities and his offensive and defensive behavior. Some, like the heavy, will remain very faithful to the originals. Then there are some in between that have varying degrees of tweaks.

We looked at and talked about the commander class when we originally talked about TF2, and there was a good idea there about having somebody who was off the battlefield who could assist or give orders or that type of thing and we’re still struggling to come up with the right place for the things that we want to do there. There won’t be a commander class, per se, in that that’s the boss and they’re giving you orders. But we do still think it would be cool to have somebody who’s the eyes and ears of the team and was a different role there. So we’re experimenting with that and some other classes. Whether or not those make version one or release subsequently is still to be determined.

GI: Are most of the classes going to retain the same feature set they had in Team Fortress Classic?

Lombardi: Again, the medic is completely overhauled, and some of them are very faithful. That’s true both in terms of offensive and defensive arsenal as well. In some cases we really saw some opportunities to really leverage the Source engine and to change stuff up. You saw a little bit of that there in the demo with some of his new capabilities, some of the ways he’s able to better interact using that technology. The medic was something that Robin Walker, who’s the co-creator of Team Fortress as you know, was always a class that he frustrated with and felt like the way it had been executed on wasn’t what he and John really had in their brains. So they’ve taken a lot of time on that to change that up, and as you’ve probably noticed that’s one surprised that we’re keeping for later to reveal what that’s going to be about.

GI: When TF2 was revealed at the EA event I think everyone was shocked with the comic style. The game was shown originally…

Lombardi: ’99 Atlanta. (laughs)

GI: You guys were going for more of an army game. Was the switch made mainly because the marketplace is so flooded right now?

Lombardi: No, It’s funny that we kind of inspired a whole flooding of the market with that demo, didn’t we? (laughs) It really was more to do with the idea of the character classes having a true persona. Once you put everyone in fatigues you sort of gentrify the classes, and you reduce them to all being army people. Then it’s really just down into the gameplay thing.

One of the things we learned from Counter-Strike was that people have an affinity to their character class – even though in Counter-Strike it really makes no difference from a gameplay standpoint. But people identify with that visual look. So when we decided to move to the Source engine we were also frustrated with the fact that we were sort of screwing up that bit of the game – the persona and character class affinity. Then we tried a couple interim steps of different approaches. We tried a sci-fi approach and a couple of other things. And then somebody had some sketches of character classes that were inspired by some artist from the 50s and 60s that basically was wrapped into this thing that is also sort of similar to the old Saturday morning cartoons from when we were little.

Instantly, people said it was really cool to exaggerate the character classes and take that persona to a wild fashion. And then one other thing that we always wanted to do was to really give a great silhouette of the characters in TF, and that was something in the interim steps that we were defining was this idea of if you spot somebody from far away you can tell it’s a heavy just from their silhouette or even before they come out and you see the color and everything else. You immediately know that’s a heavy. If you’re not a good class to go up against the heavy, if you’re the scout or whatever, you can bail and go find help before you dive into the action. So it accomplished a couple of those things.

And last but not least, it’s different. We see so many people in fatigues in multiplayer games right now. There are so many games trying to do the terrorism thing post-Counter-Strike. It’s like, “Okay, we’re not going to do the real world, gritty, terrorism/counterterrorism thing.” You know, the World War II thing is overdone now and also doesn’t work with this character affinity stuff. We had this other prototyping going on so we just kept coming back to that. The Source engine had some modifications made to it to incorporate the Phong Shading technique, which is basically a fancy word to say a new type of shader. It’s a technique that has been written about by graphics white papers and stuff like that, and has been used by other non-interactive media to achieve this sort of look. But I think this is the first time somebody’s using it in an interactive mode. That’s how we achieve that cel shading in a polygon world.
Rest of the interview

Guess we can say good bye to the concs :/
Anyway it looks interesting, and really can't be judge untill we get to play it or at least get to see some real gameplay videos.
o_rp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #243
o_shadow34721

http://forums.thecatacombs.net/showp...6&postcount=94

Quote:
<inside source?> u cant hhwiththe flag
<inside source?> flag is heavier now
<inside source?> and it isn't a flag
<inside source?> everythin else will be the same
http://forums.thecatacombs.net/showp...&postcount=169

o_shadow34721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2006, 09:56 PM   #244
o_power-mad

There are just so many poeple I want to yell STFU to. You guys have become such fanboys of this that you wont even allow the thought of another good team fortress game cross your minds. 1 instance of this is that this mod was hyped for not only remaking team fortress but also for changing it, but god forbid that TF2 be allowed for be given a new look when fortress forever put an entire new path in the middle of the game!

God forbid games ever change their styles and such with a sequal, no, team fortress 2 shouldn't change that style at all, after all, that 2 in there isn't implying this is a sequal, that means it's a direct remake! Right?

Ug, I stand so many kinds of idiots a day but fanboys are my nightmares.
o_power-mad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2006, 10:22 PM   #245
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
he's right in a way. you gotta take TF2 as it comes. it could work out better with this overhauled medic. i mean, the medic could ACTUALLY be a medic by trade, instead of the heavy flagrunner. while TF2 is a new approach, i do admit FF would have had a hard time justifying such changes to the existing TF community, had they have implemented them into FF before TF2 was announced.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #246
o_groovyf

No idea if concs are in or out for TF2, but I just can't see that medic (in it's new guise) doing conc jumps. New-style soldier and RJs... fine, they seem to go together.

Think the new medic would look comical flying through the air..... though saying that, it could actually fit in fine with the new TF2 theme
o_groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2006, 11:10 PM   #247
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i'm starting to move my money away from concs as we know them.. still, i'm interested to see what valve come up with.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:12 PM   #248
o_paft

Exactly what I never said "you gotta take TF2 as it comes".
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2006, 01:17 AM   #249
o_b||oodsire

The way i see it we're gonna have two games to play. (and thats a good thing)

1)An updated/fixed version of the game we all love right now.
2)A brand new take on the game we all love right now.

I dont see the problem with this.
o_b||oodsire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2006, 01:32 AM   #250
o_puppychow

looks like long time medics might be pissed..

but maybe it will be better? who knows..

as it stands i think there is too much emphasis on that class anyways, so some balancing might be good.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #251
o_polaris

Heres's hoping there's no bunny hopping.

The fresher and more different TF2 is the better.
o_polaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2006, 02:15 PM   #252
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

The more different TF2 is from FF the better, I say. I am a bit concerned that Valve will make TF2 too defensive, but it's far too early to judge.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #253
o_groovis

Now for pure speculation: What d they mean by a more defensive role for the medic? Some form of revive for the non-gibbed? Plague Traps/Nades (a-la Deadlode)? Enhanced healing in a friendly zone?

Obviously, there has always been a place for a defensive medic, especially with the last line defenders for healing up in a big rush that tears thru the front. Combine that with a matched speed if they do get the flag and get past. (unless the runner is a scout). But with the concs, normal grens, and heavy shotty/nail gun, he was always better at offense as a all-around class and heavy flag runner. I'm just trying to think of what they could change to make the class more defense oriented. Sadly, other than taking his Concs, I can't think of to much that doesn't make him more of an ET medic clone with a bigger needle.

And speaking of Deadlode: I really miss the scout magnetic proxy mines...
o_groovis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2006, 04:10 PM   #254
o_war peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
looks like each class is going to have something different for a melee weapon. From the teaser video it looks like the soldier is going to have a shovel.
We also brought this up in a thread, starting with the pyro having a fireaxe.

Also we brought up that the pyro weapon should launch fireballs or gas balls, and the pyro weapon seems to have 2 weapons in one. I get the creeping suspicion that valve has been using this board for ideas.

On the bright side, I like how the scout now seems able to do what he should; avoid enemy fire. I really enjoyed watching all of it, but wanted to see pyro, and medic. And by that I mean I wanted to see the pyro.

Lastly, I think the facial animations are part of overall event animations. For example; the sniper looks a certain way when he is walking, then when he changes to scope, a new animation is called, and as the rifle is charged, another animation is kicked off. The HW Guy's facial expressions may just be a loop of animations when the gun is fired. Additionally he may have multiple random animation loop starts which allow for different animations to kick off the facial expressions animation loop.

Last edited by o_war peanut; 08-27-2006 at 04:43 PM.
o_war peanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #255
o_-=hydra=-

All this talk about bhopping, sniper charging and concing...

Newsflash, this is NOT Team Fortress Classic.

If you don't like it, no one is stopping you from giving up TFC.

This is Team Fortress 2.

Welcome... to the future.
o_-=hydra=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2006, 05:10 PM   #256
o_puppychow

but the question is, do you have a working flux capacitor?
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #257
o_qui

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=HYDRA=-
All this talk about bhopping, sniper charging and concing...

Newsflash, this is NOT Team Fortress Classic.

If you don't like it, no one is stopping you from giving up TFC.

This is Team Fortress 2.

Welcome... to the future.
In reality though, one of us know if bunnyhopping or concing will be in TF2 or not.

Personally i dont mind, but i'd laugh if it were, just for the bitching that would happen

In fairness, there will be bitching either way!
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2006, 06:20 PM   #258
o_arqentus

The faq that they "may" have removed nade from being used together with a gun, i personally do not see the big problem. In fact, it will stop the nade spamming, and make grenades again a weapon you use in a tactic, instead of a instant damage enhancer for your main weapon. And lets face it, its been just that for years.

Also, it may be just me, but maybe the demoman's mirv trowing ( the windup) may be used to enhance the distance you can trow it. The added graphical swirling may just be that.

For the rest, i don't see the big deal about possible no BH, but then again, i was never in favor of people running around like a bunch of monkey's. The odd thing, BH may be graphically more fitting in TF2 ( because of the comical graphics/style ), then it ever was in TFC.
o_arqentus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2006, 02:37 AM   #259
o_formaldehyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow
but the question is, do you have a working flux capacitor?
Nope, I ran out of plutonium from my last trip. I guess now I need to capture a lightning in order to generate 1.21 gigawatts. The problem is, lightning is unpredictable, we never know when or where they're gonna strike.
o_formaldehyde is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2006, 02:45 AM   #260
o_blah2k6

Looking forward to playing both. TF2 really reminds me of the old Quake TF, which I was much more a fan of than TFC. Quake TF was more exaggerated than an attempt at realism. When TFC first hit I was pretty disappointed by the loss of character each class seemed to carry on the quake version.

I moved on as more people went to play TFC, but Quake TF was the first experience in clans and team online gameplay.

What is funny is that there remain individuals that still play the Quake version, I play on a Brazilian server every so often, glad to see there's a few fans of the original left
o_blah2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote