Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 10-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #221
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Asian and Hot are not crafting materials. They are adjectives.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #222
SmellyCat
Darknight

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Woman != Wizard. Arg
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #223
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyCat
Woman != Wizard. Arg
Can be male or female, as can all classes.

I noticed that they darkened the game up a tad and boosted the fan service up an extra notch with King Leoric. Here are some more features:

You can no longer put points into stats. I.E. automated when you level up. Link to the stat one: http://www.diablofans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15275

New rune system (don't think rune words or item slots) that allows you to customize certain attacks and abilities on your character with different abilities. Link to the rune one: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55258

Also, a contradiction in what has been said can be found here: http://www.diablofans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15298*

"Wilson explains that he wants to have the characters of Diablo III to be epicly powerful compared to Diablo 1 and 2. "Being superpowered and allowing the player to defeat hordes and armies of minions will bring the excitement back into the medeval game."

And

"Wilson explained to Diablo fans that removing health potions away will generate a more realistic experience to the gameplay. Players will not be able to stock up unlimited amount of potions and being "invulnerable" to all monsters/players in battle. With an army of monsters in front of you, it will force you to be more strategic and apply classic hit and run and evading tactics to play."

Anyone else wonder how I'm going to be challenged with these health globes at all when my character is epicly powerful, ESPECIALLY when compared to Diablo 2? Also, so far a 4 player limit has been put in place for D3 for online stuffs. Lame. Absolutely lame.

Anyway, the rune system they have in place for skills is incredibly awesome and this has re-piqued my interest in the game. Watch the video for more.

*Not so much a contradiction with what was said here, but a contradiction with the general feel for what they were going for. Why am I going to employ hit and run tactics when my character is insanely powerful?

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #224
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
There's going to be much raging on the potions issue...

I think the time bubble would be more useful if you could also slow your own/allies projectiles.

Time Bubble. Fireball. Fireball. Fireball. Fireball. Fireball. Time Bubble breaks. WAVE OF FIREBALLS.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #225
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Man, more powerful than D1 and D2? I can already do hell baal runs effortlessly with just immortal kings on. This is kind of frustrating. And I'm going to cry over no potions.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #226
Suite307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
There's going to be much raging on the potions issue...

I think the time bubble would be more useful if you could also slow your own/allies projectiles.

Time Bubble. Fireball. Fireball. Fireball. Fireball. Fireball. Time Bubble breaks. WAVE OF FIREBALLS.
Probably is the case.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #227
Suite307

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Man, more powerful than D1 and D2? I can already do hell baal runs effortlessly with just immortal kings on. This is kind of frustrating. And I'm going to cry over no potions.
They give you stronger characters because of the lack of potions, they want you to feel badass really, You're a dude that fought baal and crap, you can atleast rambo in to 50 little crap demons.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #228
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Seems to be a kick they're on, no no potions in WotLK and no potions in D3?

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #229
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite307
Probably is the case.
Not as far as I can see.

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/characters/wizard.xml

She fires magic missile from inside the time bubble and it leaves at the same speed as it normally fires (which you can see in the Magic Missile video).

Also, in b4 D&D RAAAAAGE about them using the name "Magic Missile" for a spell.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #230
Suite307

To be honest, the wizard made me want to play it like a kid looking at sparkly things.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #231
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
They give you stronger characters because of the lack of potions, they want you to feel badass really, You're a dude that fought baal and crap, you can atleast rambo in to 50 little crap demons.

This seems to go against the whole "tactical gameplay" shit they've been on for the past... ever.

Lets see.

1. You're a bad ass dude who killed Baal and Diablo. You've eaten cheeseburgers with the president. You've slain ninjas. You're fucking awesome.

2. You'll be using hit and run tactics.

What?

Quote:
To be honest, the wizard made me want to play it like a kid looking at sparkly things.
Yep.

That and the runes make me want to play so bad.

Ronald Reagan

Old 10-13-2008, 01:19 AM   #232
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Also, in b4 D&D RAAAAAGE about them using the name "Magic Missile" for a spell.
Why would we do this? That's bonus points, not rage material (leave the raging to the Barbarians).

Also, stronger heroes should mean stronger bosses, no? Big bosses. Big-time shit. WoW Boss shit. You know what I mean.

It could happen.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:41 AM   #233
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

You wouldn't rage about Magic Missile because you're not a dumbass. d:

Old 10-13-2008, 05:12 AM   #234
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

If you can find ANY D&D geek bitching that they used Magic Missile as a spell name, I'll give you $5.

If you tell them it's been used as a generic spell name for decades and they FREAK OUT I'll toss in an extra $5.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:14 AM   #235
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Why would we do this? That's bonus points, not rage material (leave the raging to the Barbarians).

Also, stronger heroes should mean stronger bosses, no? Big bosses. Big-time shit. WoW Boss shit. You know what I mean.

It could happen.
I was never a fan of boss fights in D2. They were the pure definition of tactical and they became dull once you learned the pattern. To me, having an entire game like that would be... dull. Learn the pattern of an enemy and you can beat that enemy with such consistency that it's no longer an issue.

Much like Mephisto runs.

It'll be great fun the first time through, but I think it would enter the realm of tedium rather quickly.

They could alleviate this by making each class so vastly unique that different strategies would have to be used to beat said boss. In D2 there were 2 strategies for each boss. Your ranged class strategy and your melee class strategy. If they make the game right, each class would be so uniquely different that each will have a completely different way of dealing with situations.

To be honest, I would like the bosses to be so hard... so absolutely difficult that a group of players will have a hard time taking them down. Sadly, I don't think that will happen. The idea of epicly strong character and tactical combat seems like boss fights will enter the realm of average =\.

Still, the rune system. I can't get over how absolutely incredible the system sounds. To me, customization far out weighs any sort of issue with the game as that has always been the draw in for me.

Ronald Reagan

Old 10-13-2008, 05:16 AM   #236
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Diablo II normal enemy pattern: kill it with fire.

Diablo III proposed normal enemy pattern: think about stuff for a second, then kill it with fire.

Have they even actually discussed the bosses?

I think they just wanted to break up Diablo II's setup, where you just kept wandering into waves of the same enemy and blasted them until they fell down and dropped stuff.

I don't think it's going to end up any different, though, they're just trying.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:20 AM   #237
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Diablo II normal enemy pattern: kill it with fire.

Diablo III proposed normal enemy pattern: think about stuff for a second, then kill it with fire.

Have they even actually discussed the bosses?

I think they just wanted to break up Diablo II's setup, where you just kept wandering into waves of the same enemy and blasted them until they fell down and dropped stuff.

I don't think it's going to end up any different, though, they're just trying.

They've shown us one, albeit scripted to shit. Looked like the boss had a pattern similar to the Act 2 Boss. Run around, chasing some dude and attacking him. Was kind of . His special abilities all had animations that could be memorized and avoided, much like Mephisto.

There was also the mini-boss in the cathedral. Again, all scripted to shit. Kind of the same deal except he just killed it with fire.

I also didn't understand what the big deal was with the skeletons with the shields. Didn't look like he had much trouble whirlwinding through a group of them, killing all but like 1-2. Seemed to defeat the purpose of the mob a little.

But yes, major kudos for trying to make it different.

Once you learn an enemies pattern you won't have to think about going in. In fact, I usually find that games that have monsters with attack patterns (the definition of tactical in ARPG's) usually revolve around you not actually having to evaluate anything once you figure it out. I don't think figuring it out will be much of an issue though.

Ronald Reagan

Old 10-13-2008, 05:23 AM   #238
Etzell
D&A Member

They're not exactly going to demo a shittily made character. Kind of like when the TF2 footage showed each class absolutely raping everything?
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2008, 07:31 AM   #239
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
They're not exactly going to demo a shittily made character. Kind of like when the TF2 footage showed each class absolutely raping everything?
Well, people were able to play the game at this years Blizzcon, or whatever the event where they announced the new class. People say the game plays just like 2moons in regards to combat and that the characters were exactly what Rob was talking about. Epicly powerful.

Ronald Reagan

Old 10-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #240
Suite307

We'll just have to wait and see i guess...