Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2006, 04:33 PM   #181
Decs
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xstioph
Awe... I got excited as hell when I read public beta or whatever... And then, it won't be. And since I live over seas and ain't even close to anyone on the team, I'm pretty screwed... *goes back to waiting*
Weeell you know, both me and omen are from Norway and Blunkka is from Finland. A bunch of the guys are from the UK aswell and thats not far from Sweden. :P

Old 07-18-2006, 04:37 PM   #182
o_dr zoidberg

Yeah we northern people should have our own beta test =D
o_dr zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #183
o_ihmhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrick
What conc affect are you all talking about, i dont see it in any of the pics? :/
This one:

http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=m...ff_shutdown2_4

...which, btw, no one answered my question about. Can the effect only be achieved by Scouts & Medics, or does it happen to anyone that concs?

Also, is it tied to the conc itself, or does the after-image effect apply to any high-speed movement (such as a Rocket Jump)?
o_ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #184
o_sillx

Sweet!!!
Soon can we practice those moves we are doing in irl in ff, b-hopping after the bus, dodging wife " after done her mad ", and that airshot practice on the boss " with that air-rpg ".
Not to forget playing dead when the boss comes in for overtime.

Nice work mates, you have done a really good work and really had worked hard.

I salut you
o_sillx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 05:02 PM   #185
o_ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
This one:

http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=m...ff_shutdown2_4

...which, btw, no one answered my question about. Can the effect only be achieved by Scouts & Medics, or does it happen to anyone that concs?

Also, is it tied to the conc itself, or does the after-image effect apply to any high-speed movement (such as a Rocket Jump)?
It is my understanding that the conc effect looks like one of those compression bubbles that you can see in fear while in slow motion. That means that anything around the blast radius of the conc will look like that.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 05:05 PM   #186
o_ivaqual

Quote:
words
Seconding the post above me, I don't think what we see in the screenshot are the conc effects you see when you get conced yourself, if that's what you meant.
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #187
o_xstioph

Quote:
Originally Posted by decs
Weeell you know, both me and omen are from Norway and Blunkka is from Finland. A bunch of the guys are from the UK aswell and thats not far from Sweden. :P
Interesting.. I'm definately interested in beta testing Fortress Forever! So if there's anywhere to sign up or anything, point me in the right direction. Thanks
o_xstioph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 07:18 PM   #188
o_silencer

Quote:
I'm definately interested in beta testing Fortress Forever! So if there's anywhere to sign up or anything, point me in the right direction. Thanks
you and everyone else on this forum.
o_silencer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #189
o_xstioph

mdoh
o_xstioph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 08:58 PM   #190
o_ihmhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagual678
Seconding the post above me, I don't think what we see in the screenshot are the conc effects you see when you get conced yourself, if that's what you meant.
No, what I mean is is the bitchin' after-image related to the conc or to the sped or what?

The bubble dealy has been explained but this really has not.
o_ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 09:03 PM   #191
o_etzell

I'm pretty sure it relates to the conc itself.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 09:15 PM   #192
o_ivaqual

Quote:
No, what I mean is is the bitchin' after-image related to the conc or to the sped or what?

The bubble dealy has been explained but this really has not.
Oh, yeah. No, the after-image effect is just what the conc does when it sets off. Applying that effect to anything that breaks a certain speed would be cool though, although much work.
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 01:19 AM   #193
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Remember how in TFC the conc effect was a big wave? Imagine that wave, instead of being a static texture with transparency, is a big fat ripple in the space-time continuum, and as it passes outward it "traps" the image of whatever was in it - as such, the Scout being pushed away is visible within the ripple even as he's launched away.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:34 AM   #194
o_tfcog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnarb
is not confident in what the devs can do!
I have plenty of confidence in them, I just hope people show up in numbers like they did for TFC.
o_tfcog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #195
o_ass-asn

Love++

with this I just wanted to mention how greatly I appreciate you guys making this mod
TFC was my first love
haven't found another game since that I was so passionate about and bringing it to HL2 is such a brilliant idea (and which I always wished for)
especially the fact that it's made by TFC players that want to keep the same gameplay without forgetting to think about some nice new innovations and improvements possible thanks to an engine with far more capabilities... that's just PWNAGE

it's a dream come true for many of us

i love u guys!

i used to be atheist but now i know there's a god

mvg,

[Rasta]ASS-asn
o_ass-asn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 01:12 PM   #196
o_fresh

The only thing negative ill say is that the rockets look MASSIVE.
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #197
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
its all about the girth dude. 8 inches AROUND! i wouldn't wanna be shafted any other way!

Old 07-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #198
o_tanstaafl34

Major Bummer

I know, I know. Another post about TFC2 and blah blah blah. I am still going to post it.

I disagree with the idea of not doing a public beta right away. I think the only way this mod has a shot is if it beats TFC2 to the punch and gets a following as quickly as possible. Hopefully it will be a while before TFC2 is released but I would bet on months, not years.

I just don't see the community of people playing TFC type games as being large enough to support two mods of good quality. It is obvious to me that FF is going to be a quality mod and I am sad to say that it is likely to be the case with TFC2 as well.

I think that FF is going to be a huge underdog trying to compete with a large company with $ to advertise and hype and all that. They may get more new players even if TFC2 does suck.

I have to say - I sooooooo hope I am wrong. I hugely admire all the work that has gone into FF and I very much want this mod to be played for a long time to come after its release. Get it out as soon as you can dev team. If you can get it into our hands I am certain this community will spread the word that FF is the best multi-player shooter the world has ever seen.

And just one more thing. I know the concern is to not release a buggy/unstable/ugly mod, but.........you understand that this mod is going to be running on boxes running windows right? We are all used to buggy software that does random crap that nobody can explain or fix.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
o_tanstaafl34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 06:20 PM   #199
o_sensai

Although I understand your concerns tans, the fact of the matter is that an open public beta would be bad for FF, especially with the onset of TF2. The problem is that if the team releases a buggy version to the public, a lot of people will get turned off to the mod. Take, for instance, HL2 mods like Empires and The Hidden - both have fun and exceptionally interesting gameplay, but their communities are not that big. I remember when they were released, everyone was so happy - but then there were flood of posts on HL2 news sites about how buggy the games were.

FF wants to pull in new players, and sadly a good number of the potential base out there will only want to try the game once to base their decision on it. If the game is buggy when released, there is a more than likely chance a great number of people will never bother trying the mod out again. The FF devs have understood this since Day 1. Now that TF2 is peeking its head out, it is every moreso important that FF releases a non-bug filled game. If they do, people will be like "screw FF and its crappy game, I'll wait for TF2." This is an attitude that we don't want to see people having, especially if we want a thriving community.

And it's pretty unfair to look at this with "well we're used to buggy Windows, why not this?" attitude just because Windows is something you have to live with and the majority of people don't know/understand the other options out there.

/PS. If you want to understand this more, go search in the dev journals for Defrag's post about the RERO model and how that just doesn't seem to cut it for HL2 mods like it did back in the HL1 days.
o_sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 06:54 PM   #200
o_infinitum

I know it says you [dev team] don't know the exact answer, but could you atleast give a general amount of time it takes to work the bugs out in the closed beta? Are we talking a few days, a few weeks, or a few months?
o_infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote