Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 11-16-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
o_ivaqual

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Update on Sony's Rootkit

The uninstaller actually is an even larger security hole..
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=927

This is getting really funny ...
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
o_jinx

heh I was reading up on a lot of this at work. here are a few other good new articles to check out.

First Trojan to exploit the rootkit:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...ny_drm_trojan/

Rootkit causing IT Departments problems
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...drm_who_cares/

Microsoft to remove Sony CD code
Sony's controversial anti-piracy CD software has been labelled as spyware by Microsoft.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4434852.stm

The last one is a VERY big deal imo. If Microsoft takes the position that DRM such as this is spyware, it may effect the kind of DRM we see integrated into future versions of windows. So for once... GO MICROSOFT!
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
o_coldy

I hear they're putting anti-piracy hardware into the PS3 that will eat your first born if you put burnt cds into it.
o_coldy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
o_mooga

no, the PS3 is mounted with a SG and if you try to put anything not sony in it the SG open fires.
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2005, 02:59 PM   #5
o_sobe green

I've been using MS Anti Spyware for awhile now. I'm glad to see they are taking some stance on the issue. My only gripe is I'm sure when this thing is out of beta they are going to charge for it. That is when I'll quit using it. The only gripe I've had with them is that they are blocking MSN Plus and considering it as spyware. It isn't spyware and they are only blocking it because it isn't an "official plugin". It hooks MSN. Most of the features included in MSN Messenger within the past year were features available with MSN Plus two years ago. Bleh
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2005, 04:40 PM   #6
o_ivaqual

I'm not sure about the Microsoft antispyware, not long ago there was a controversy that went like this :

1) Company x produces spyware and similar software.
2) Microsoft antispyware correctly considers it at such.
3) Microsoft buys said company for whatever reason.
4) Microsoft antispyware does not detect said company's spyware anymore. Someone notices it, and microsoft does a half-assed answer saying that the criterias for considering software spyware have changed or something.

So there.

Old 11-16-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
o_broodingdude

In this case Microsoft can't POSSIBLY buy Sony.
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
o_sobe green

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagual678
I'm not sure about the Microsoft antispyware, not long ago there was a controversy that went like this :

1) Company x produces spyware and similar software.
2) Microsoft antispyware correctly considers it at such.
3) Microsoft buys said company for whatever reason.
4) Microsoft antispyware does not detect said company's spyware anymore. Someone notices it, and microsoft does a half-assed answer saying that the criterias for considering software spyware have changed or something.

So there.
Where has this happened and when? I've been waiting and watching and half expecting this since I decided to start using it. I check sites related to this quite often and so far have not ran into anything other than the MSN Plus thing which is something I can live with.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
o_ivaqual

I remembered "too much" of it, in the end the company wasn't bought, even though there was indeed word of that. more here http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1834607,00.asp

Anyway, I wasn't insinuating at all that Microsoft could buy Sony, so their stance on the rootkit could change, but I was just discussing the fact that MS' spyware utility is partial on spyware definitions.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:00 PM   #10
o_general levy

Quote:
Originally Posted by broodingdude
In this case Microsoft can't POSSIBLY buy Sony.
sony's market capitalisation - 33.5bn dollars
microsoft's market capitalisation - 295.2bn dollars

biggest ever merger - AOL/Time Warner at around the 300bn dollar mark

technically possible...but a hostile takeover would be all but impossible.
o_general levy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2005, 10:06 PM   #11
o_sh4x

I hope microsoft buys sony. I bet M$ made the xbox to weaken sony so they can buy it at a lower price.

I want google vs microsoft as a final round.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2005, 10:35 PM   #12
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagual678
I remembered "too much" of it, in the end the company wasn't bought, even though there was indeed word of that. more here http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1834607,00.asp

Anyway, I wasn't insinuating at all that Microsoft could buy Sony, so their stance on the rootkit could change, but I was just discussing the fact that MS' spyware utility is partial on spyware definitions.
Actually I have heard that the 3 most well known anti-spyware companies have certain software that they cast a blind eye to. Recent issue of PCWorld has Webroot Spysweeper as tops in rooting out the scumbags.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2005, 12:05 AM   #13
o_jinx

Spy Sweeper is usually tops from both reviews and my own experience. Counterspy is a very close second. And Ad-Aware and Spybot are worth having just because they are free and all.
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2005, 02:01 AM   #14
o_general levy

I really dont want to run like 5 anti spyware programs. Can't we just have one centralised solution, perhaps embedded into Norton Internet Security so you have your firewall and everything else from one company as part of one GUI/program whatever?
o_general levy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2005, 02:43 AM   #15
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I can't stand to run any of that crap on my gaming computer. NIS takes up way more system resources than it should. Avoiding Spyware/Viruses is more a matter of using a decent firewall, avoiding dubious websites/files, and getting the latest Windows Updates.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2005, 03:55 AM   #16
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
I've been using MS Anti Spyware for awhile now. I'm glad to see they are taking some stance on the issue. My only gripe is I'm sure when this thing is out of beta they are going to charge for it. That is when I'll quit using it. The only gripe I've had with them is that they are blocking MSN Plus and considering it as spyware. It isn't spyware and they are only blocking it because it isn't an "official plugin". It hooks MSN. Most of the features included in MSN Messenger within the past year were features available with MSN Plus two years ago. Bleh
I thought the petition remove it
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2005, 05:41 AM   #17
o_sobe green

I'm not sure if it was removed or not. I don't use MSN Plus anymore since I use Gaim so I haven't been following it much.

As for Microsoft Anti-Spyware ignoring the spyware:

"Prior to the recent tests, Microsoft's AntiSpyware tool detected Claria's products and presented users with a recommended action of "Quarantine."

Although the default has been changed to "ignore," users can still change the action to "Quarantine" or "Remove" via a drop-down menu."

It doesn't mean it ignored the spyware all together. The default option is "Ignore" but naturally common sense should tell you if the scanner detected it, kill it. I've seen a few other detections like this too, but all it takes is one click in the drop down box and you can override the "Default Suggested Option".

Old 11-17-2005, 06:40 AM   #18
o_ivaqual

Yeah, but come on. Can you really imagine your regular Joe checking that little box ? Furthermore, he wouldn't if he could. The threat has been lowered to a lower level, classifying it as something most people wouldn't mind having on their computer.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:49 AM   #19
o_sobe green

I agree it is wrong and I do not agree with them doing that. It is something that I do accept as even with all these "do not call lists" and such the same thing happens. You pay enough money to the right guy and you can do pretty much what you want as long as you don't come out in front of everyone and say "Look what I done and this is how I done it".