AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
PC Gamers fighting back

This is as hardly as exciting as the title makes it seem, but it's a small glimmer of hope for someone like me, and other PC Gaming enthusiasts.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/30/pc...-platform-war/

I played BC2 since it's beta, and there's one thing I noticed. EA was trying to cater the game to console players, and the PC version was a clear console port. Everything from the DLC to the game itself was catered to console gamers. Hopefully actions like this will show major companies that console gaming is dying and PC Gaming is only getting more popular.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Etzell
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
Hopefully actions like this will show major companies that console gaming is dying and PC Gaming is only getting more popular.
Are you serious? That's really my only question.

EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comments section of the article you linked to
Global PC Statistics
TOTAL TIME PLAYED (HRS) 54,403,819
TOTAL RESUPPLIES 334,526,184
TOTAL REPAIRS 148,194,628
TOTAL REVIVES 164,089,452
TOTAL SPOTS 90,316,420
Global XBOX360 Statistics
TOTAL TIME PLAYED (HRS) 94,527,791
TOTAL RESUPPLIES 324,543,640
TOTAL REPAIRS 205,366,280
TOTAL REVIVES 216,737,604
TOTAL SPOTS 70,360,937
Global PS3 Statistics
TOTAL TIME PLAYED (HRS) 89,704,314
TOTAL RESUPPLIES 317,408,208
TOTAL REPAIRS 161,786,600
TOTAL REVIVES 192,534,824
TOTAL SPOTS 85,699,416
More than 3x the time played, and you claim console gaming is dying?

Last edited by Etzell; 12-31-2010 at 05:43 AM.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
Are you serious? That's really my only question.

EDIT

More than 3x the time played, and you claim console gaming is dying?
A random person on the internet is not a credible source.
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

It's not a huge victory, like I said, it's a ray of hope. Sure, there are more console gamers playing more amount of hours but it says a lot more about PC Gamers playing less hours and how they're more willing to work towards a goal collectively than console gamers. PC gamers are typically older, whereas console gamers are younger and have more free time. The fact that there's half as many PC Gamers and they did twice as many team actions, says a lot more than the hours played by console gamers.

And it's pretty clear to me that console gaming is dying. Technology in the area of computers is moving so fast, while console hardware is remaining mostly stagnant. All you have to do is look at the modding communities that pop up every day, the success of games like SC2 and WoW, and it's easy to see that PC gaming is becoming popular. Just because millions of 15 year olds and college fratboys are logging more hours doesn't mean shit. bfbcs.com shows us that there's roughly the same amount of players.

So yea, I'm serious. Just like how open source software is now dominating paid software because of it's flexibility, we'll see the same in the area of gaming.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
It's damned sure becoming harder for developers to make good games for consoles. Everyone wants cutting edge graphics over gameplay (we really don't, but thats sells apparently) so we get rehashed engines and tired ass gameplay thrown back to us every year.

I don't think consoles will die off, but rather become the Dell of the gaming world. They'll be upgradeable, cheap, and easily marketable. Even though the 360 and PS3 come with a hefty price tag, they can do a lot of the same things for which our average user would ever use a PC. If only the browser support wasn't so shitty!

Imagine if Nintendo put another low-res console out next year but made a deal with Intel/nVidia to manufacture certain parts that would allow the console to be upgraded for a few years. I would sure as shit go for it.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
It's damned sure becoming harder for developers to make good games for consoles. Everyone wants cutting edge graphics over gameplay (we really don't, but thats sells apparently) so we get rehashed engines and tired ass gameplay thrown back to us every year.
Seriously.

The fact that I'm going to spend more money on just my motherboard and processor in my upcoming build says a lot about console hardware limitations. I got a new xbox for myself because my old one had the stupid red ring error. I loaded up New Vegas, played a little Fable 3, and my brand new Xbox can barely handle the games. It freezes, takes forever to load, and after searching the internet to see if I maybe had a defective Xbox, it's pretty much commonplace. Perhaps one of the only real benefits to making a game for consoles, is that it is easier to beta test, and fix bugs. But at what cost?

Old 12-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
As far as consoles go, I haven't liked ANY of the controllers for them since the N64 came out.

PC's offer a (usually) configurable control interface, and to me, that's a major plus. Also, I can use my PC to backwards compatable older games that I have enjoyed over the years. No other current console can do that, without re-buying the game(s) in a "classic" compilation.... but you are still limited to the same damned controller.

This is why I still own and use an Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, SNES, and N64 console, and have and use a Commodore 64/128, Amiga 500, and PC.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
A random person on the internet is not a credible source.
Let me google that for you.
At the time of this posting
PS3: 90,229,655
XBox: 95,162,992
PC: 55,409,749

Does this entire "Console gaming is dying" "No, PC gaming is dying" debate remind anyone of... you know, the debate that's been going on for the last 10 years?
Neither are dying. In fact, I think before SC2 came out, people were sounding the gong for PC. It's going to ebb and flow just like it always does, and the "PC is dying!" "console is dying" debate is going to be just as retarded as it's always been.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
The current numbers have nothing at all to do with how they are doing over time. I can show you a game with a million players that's losing a thousand a day versus a game with a hundred players that's gaining fifty a day. The first game would be dying. The second game would be growing. What the numbers are a specific point is fucking irrelevant to the long-term growth or decline.

In short: You're dumb, Etzell.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 11:59 PM   #10
Etzell
D&A Member

Show me numbers that back up console gaming as a whole dying. The only point I'm asserting is that it's not. So... yeah. Get on that.

If not, then your almighty "lol ur dumb" stick should be aimed at Genghis as well.
Especially for quotes like this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron
Just because millions of 15 year olds and college fratboys are logging more hours doesn't mean shit. bfbcs.com shows us that there's roughly the same amount of players.
Console gaming includes both PS3 and XBox 360. Considering those two ON THEIR OWN have roughly the same amount of players, that works out to... roughly double the amount of console gamers. But hey, simple addition is rough stuff.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #11
Bridget
Banned

I'm not asserting anything, neither a growth nor decline for the console. I'm just pointing out a flaw in your dumb-fuck logic that because the numbers are high, that must mean they aren't falling.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #12
Etzell
D&A Member

Old 01-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #13
Bridget
Banned

Bested.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:07 AM   #14
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
Show me numbers that back up console gaming as a whole dying. The only point I'm asserting is that it's not. So... yeah. Get on that.

If not, then your almighty "lol ur dumb" stick should be aimed at Genghis as well.
Especially for quotes like this one:

Console gaming includes both PS3 and XBox 360. Considering those two ON THEIR OWN have roughly the same amount of players, that works out to... roughly double the amount of console gamers. But hey, simple addition is rough stuff.
Funny, cuz, most people I know who are wealthy enough to own a console, also own two. When it comes to the gaming community, there will obviously be overlap among platform owners. I own a PC and an Xbox, for example.

But really, my point is that PC Gamers are at a numerical disadvantage, and are showing how they're more willing (showing maturity and dedication) to work towards a massive undertaking in a video game, than console gamers are. You keep trying to ignore all my previous points, and instead opt to drive home the point that the *numbers say this, I am right, you are wrong*. My point isn't about numbers, because much like open source software ten years ago, the numbers aren't exactly on our side, we just show much more promise and all that jazz. Technology is moving leaps and bounds faster than console gaming is, and more and more people want the best graphics they can get. Based on that fact alone, it's obvious that console gaming is dying, or will die. If console manufacturers try and make their consoles upgradeable or moddable, they'll basically be PC's without an operate system, thus making the point moot.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #15
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Funny, cuz, most people I know who are wealthy enough to own a console, also own two. When it comes to the gaming community, there will obviously be overlap among platform owners. I own a PC and an Xbox, for example.
Yet you don't play two at the same time. So... don't see your point.

Quote:
But really, my point is that PC Gamers are at a numerical disadvantage, and are showing how they're more willing (showing maturity and dedication) to work towards a massive undertaking in a video game, than console gamers are. You keep trying to ignore all my previous points, and instead opt to drive home the point that the *numbers say this, I am right, you are wrong*. My point isn't about numbers, because much like open source software ten years ago, the numbers aren't exactly on our side, we just show much more promise and all that jazz.
Right. 'Cause what determines if a platform does well is how well people play as a team.
Quote:
Technology is moving leaps and bounds faster than console gaming is, and more and more people want the best graphics they can get. Based on that fact alone, it's obvious that console gaming is dying, or will die.
Shouldn't that mean that the PS3 is the logical choice for all console owners? That's far from the case.
Furthermore, what's new about the PC's technology moving faster than the console's technology? It's been like that for a decade. Console gaming hasn't died yet. Hasn't even come close to it. If consoles decide to go the upgradeable route, the point is mostly moot, but I don't see that happening for a long while.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #16
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Sweet, so you're just going to go out of your way to be a contrarian? Gotcha.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:48 AM   #17
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/04/di...-pc-community/

Old 03-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #18
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
This game is gonna be so badass.
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #19
spambot2.1

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
nah if its coming to console how great can it possibly be?
spambot2.1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #20
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
wealthy enough to own a console
Nigga please.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote