Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2005, 12:33 AM   #61
o_dunc

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
someone up there somewhere wrote:
Quote:
And if we look how CS:S progressed, and how HL2M progressed, it doesn't look like TF2 will be a 'finished' product. Meaning that it'll initially come with only a few maps, limited amount of models, and so on, just like CS:S and HL2M did (not sure how DOD:S will work out).
Anyone remember what TFC was like when it first saw the light of day? with HL 1.0.0.5 wasn't it??

4 maps (perhaps 5 if hunted was out with the first release..?) and so much lag you had to wait while your sniper rifle's laser caught up (or just let go and hope you guessed right).

And if you take games like farcry or more recently pariah.. their multiplayer was utterly crap when it first emerged. As perhaps not a serious money-spinning venture on the face of it (although you could argue for the longevity and sustained consumer/community base they lend to a software title) i doubt any games producer would put any more time into getting a mod out there and getting it known and downloaded/bought than absolutely necessary; its more commercially viable to get it selling/downloading while the games still popular and fresh after all. And its fairly easy to imagine that popularity breeds updates
o_dunc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2005, 01:22 AM   #62
o_vampiricus

Im more excited about this Mod rather than TF2. I have a feeling TF2 will have so many changes done to it that the feel of "fortress" will be barely there. Too much like BF2. Although BF2 is enjoyable (minus the bugs and patches needing patching) it still isnt a FORTRESS mod. FF to me will keep it original, back to the roots of fortress play. Oh yea, and free. But if it DID cost anything, I would rather give the guys at ff my money than valve/steam
o_vampiricus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2005, 01:59 AM   #63
o_kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc
Anyone remember what TFC was like when it first saw the light of day? with HL 1.0.0.5 wasn't it??
1.0.0.8 iirc, 1.0.0.5 is initial HL release.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2005, 10:17 PM   #64
o_oinker

Re: Relatively good proof that TF2 is actually in production

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootLong
Not to knock on FF, but I'm sure most of you are looking forward to an official TF sequel (no, not the horrible CS/BF2 remake). Have a look at the employee profiles on this Valve page:
http://www.valvesoftware.com/people.html

A handful of those profiles say that they are currently working hard on TF2. When we can actually play the game is a different story, but atleast we have good proof that they are actually working on TF2. So what's the deal with TFC:S? I know a Valve employee had commented that they were working on TFC:S. Anyone think they will release TF2 and TFC:S?
Sounds good altho i wish i had the pacience to read all of that. lol.
o_oinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2005, 10:33 PM   #65
o_travis dane

Quote:
someone up there somewhere wrote:
Quote:
And if we look how CS:S progressed, and how HL2M progressed, it doesn't look like TF2 will be a 'finished' product. Meaning that it'll initially come with only a few maps, limited amount of models, and so on, just like CS:S and HL2M did (not sure how DOD:S will work out).

4 maps (perhaps 5 if hunted was out with the first release..?) and so much lag you had to wait while your sniper rifle's laser caught up (or just let go and hope you guessed right).

And if you take games like farcry or more recently pariah.. their multiplayer was utterly crap when it first emerged. As perhaps not a serious money-spinning venture on the face of it (although you could argue for the longevity and sustained consumer/community base they lend to a software title) i doubt any games producer would put any more time into getting a mod out there and getting it known and downloaded/bought than absolutely necessary; its more commercially viable to get it selling/downloading while the games still popular and fresh after all. And its fairly easy to imagine that popularity breeds updates
Problem is, if your first mod release is shit (ping\fps\stability-wise), then people will be less likely to wait around and see how it progresses. As opposed to a finished and polished mod, which will draw a lot more attention and enthousiasm, which is exactely the reason the dev team doesn't want to rush this one. So perhaps there is a different mindset between the FF developers and VALVe. I'd say it's in favor of FF. Of course VALVe has other tricks up it's sleeve (my games\auto-update).
o_travis dane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2005, 11:41 PM   #66
o_dunc

I concur.

But yeah, the difference between the two strategic models is the factor of profit. If you're valve, you want financial results (either long-haul promotion or short-term sales) - its a business after all. As FF isn't profit-driven it can afford to put quality over timeliness (to a larger degree, at least).
o_dunc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2005, 12:37 AM   #67
o_sigma

CONSPIRACY!

Those people working for VALVe are in fact on the FF Staff!!!

FF is TF2 SURPISE.... VALVe is going to purchase FF from the rest of the FF staff at $1 million dollars each! The team won't be able to resist the hordes of money VALVe will throw at them so they can charge $100 a month to play FF! And they're robots too. And aliens too.

Okay, now that any and all Conspiracies have been exposed... Thats pretty much what the entire thread seems to sound like to me. We've nothing to worry about... really... oh the robots and aliens... yeah maybe those.
o_sigma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2005, 08:27 PM   #68
o_elvis2049

who even cares about tf2 anymore....
o_elvis2049 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2005, 09:33 PM   #69
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaMIKazE
Quote:
1.0.0.8 iirc, 1.0.0.5 is initial HL release.
Not to be difficult but I thought TFC saw daylight with 1.0.0.9? 1016 was my favorite.....dead scout bug and all.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2005, 09:49 PM   #70
o_kam

You are correct.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2005, 11:56 PM   #71
o_hughj

for future reference

Apr 7, 1999 - v1.0.0.9 - TFC
May 27, 1999 - v1.0.1.0
Aug 18, 1999 - v1.0.1.3 - TFStats
Feb 15, 2000 - v1.0.1.6 - Badlands, xover2, max mirv# reduction, etc
June 8, 2000 - v1.1.0.0 - TF1.5 (new netcode, gui, detscript killed, conc change, dustbowl, epicenter, warpath, specmode, etc)
June 28, 2000 - v1.1.0.1
Oct 25, 2000 - v1.1.0.4 - avanti, flagrun, casbah, HW AC reduction, pyro burn damage increase
Mar 15, 2001 - v1.1.0.6
July 11, 2001 - v1.1.0.7 - DMC
Sept 20, 2001 - v1.1.0.8 - speed cap, hltv, voicecomm
Apr 25, 2002 - v1.1.0.9 - VAC, some steam integration
June 12, 2002 - v1.1.1.0 - steam v1.0, richochet
o_hughj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 01:05 AM   #72
o_pizzahut

1106 - New player models
1109 - VAC for CS
1110 - last patch for WON (Ricochet)
1120 - Steam, VAC for TFC, teleporters, ravelin, altered dustbowl
o_pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 03:58 AM   #73
o_stricknine

tf2 info

I remember someone doing an interview with one of the valve guys, I think it was around last year's E3. They asked about TF2, and he said that they would be talking more about it after half life 2 is released. I'm sorry i can't give a decent quote, But I know I read this, so I would guess we would be getting at least a little info before the year ends.

StrickNine
o_stricknine is offline   Reply With Quote